General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Hood to fender bumpers?

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2019, 05:46 PM

Hood to fender bumpers?

I recieved a kit a few years ago for my 69 442 and the hood to fender bumpers dont seem to be the right ones plus I cant seem to get them in the slots. I tried silicone spray and grease. Some of the kits I see have 4 pieces and some 6 pieces. There are 6 slots on my fenders. I only have 4 bumpers. Some of the kits have 6 and are different than the ones I have. Which ones are the correct ones? The ones inline sells seem to look correct to me? Thanks
Old July 7th, 2019, 08:07 PM
Randy C.

The ones I got for both my '68 and '69 4-4-2 convertibles came from Fusick. I have an old catalog that shows part number HB68 but that may have changed. You can check their on-line catalog at www.fusickautomotiveproducts.com. They compared favorable with my originals. They are a real bear to install but, with a little coaxing, tugging, pinching, and so forth, you can get them in.

Randy C.
Old July 8th, 2019, 01:27 PM

for a 69, there would be 6, 3 per fender. there were actually two different styles for 69, depending on how **** one wants to get with details. as for the reproductions, I have no idea on quality as I reused good originals.
Old July 28th, 2019, 08:27 PM
1968 Olds Cutlass S

I'm sure by now the original poster has figured a way to install the hood to fender bumper, however, if anyone else is looking for a solution, I found an easy way to get it into the slot since I had to install a new one on the passenger side of my car next to the hood hinge which makes it even a little harder to get in a good position to install it. After researching online "how to soften rubber" I found that most of the responses were to put the rubber piece into boiling water with some wintergreen oil. Since I didn't have any wintergreen oil, I just boiled water, took it off the burner and then dropped in the hood to fender bumper, let it sit for about 60 seconds, and then pulled it out and gave it a spray of WD-40. Then I wiped off the WD-40 so there was only a slight film of it on the bumper, and then pushed it into the slot. It went right in with just finger pressure.
Old February 3rd, 2021, 08:03 AM
Fletch Lives!

Thanks Jeff,

Needed this today and your solution worked like a charm! Thank you