General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Help with window alignment with weatherstrip

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2019, 07:09 PM

Help with window alignment with weatherstrip

Three pictures to show what I'm talking about. I'm aligning the glass on my 68 Cutlass Supreme, and want to make sure I get it right before putting door panels back on. The weatherstrip has two "lips" that the top of the window glass could nest into - which is correct? I've talked myself back and forth, if someone knows or could post a picture of their glass I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

Old April 7th, 2019, 07:04 PM

Ok, so I can't get a decent picture to explain what I am asking, so I'll try again.

The left arrow shows the lower lip of the weatherstrip, which the window is currently nesting into when in the up position.

The right arrow shows the upper lip of the weatherstrip, which is tucked inside the chrome weatherstrip trim (not the driprail trim, which is further above).

If someone who has non-post windows for a 68-72 car that seal properly against wind and water, a close-up picture would probably answer my question quickly.

Alternately, if anybody understands what I'm trying to ask and can help, that would be great too. I know that if I pick one of and align the glass to it, that I will choose wrong (the correct choice is always the other option for me), which will mean pulling the inner door panels off unnecessarily in the near future.

I know I'm not the first person to remove and re-align the window glass .

Last edited by olds70supreme; April 7th, 2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old April 8th, 2019, 06:12 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Like this.
-always make sure your door gap is aligned and the hinge pins are good before adjusting.
-I pull the seats and sit on floor and adjust all 3, vent, door and quarter glass at the same time.
-Mark the original locations of all adjustment points before moving anything around.
-Leave the interior panels off for a bit. Let the car sit in the sun for a few hours a day for a couple of days all windows up as the rubber will do an initial set. You may need to readjust a year or two down the road.
-Note these cars will never seal up like a modern car, but you can get real close.
-Small adjustments are the key.