General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Help Ship Wheels to Canada

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2019, 07:57 PM
MOTORHEAD

Help Ship Wheels to Canada

If the wheels are stamped made in Canada does that affect the tariff BS
Is there an affordable option for a guy to have me send him some wheels???
Minnesota to Edmonton

Thanks
brian
Old April 2nd, 2019, 09:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

No, the Made in Canada stamping doesn't affect Tariffs. But anything imported across the border is subject to duty. Even stuff I buy from Rock Auto gets dinged with duty and tax. I bought wheels for my Hyundai back in 2010 and they were shipped in 4 separate well packed OEM boxes. Make sure you label them 1 of 4, 2 of 4 etc and put individual price on each box. If you put the total price on the each shipping label, they will charge duty on the full price 4 times. Don't ask how I found this out. Wheels are heavy, there's no such thing as affordable shipping for them now. From Minnesota to Edmonton will be very expensive - likely over $140.00. See if you can arrange for shipping with a small business account from Fedex or UPS?? You can always try the Fastenal route, but Greyhound is out because we don't have them here anymore.
Old April 7th, 2019, 10:23 PM

I live in Vancouver, BC and ship to northern Wa to a little town called Blaine. It’s less than an hour away from home and find it less expensive shipping there plus I’ve had pretty good luck with the Canadian border in terms of letting you go without paying tax. I find magic number is about $350 or less and most often no tax is paid. So I try to go down about one every 2 weeks and pick stuff up. Be prepared to show your PayPal or eBay receipts. I have a friend in Calgary and he also ships to a US address.
Old April 8th, 2019, 11:00 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Vancouver is like you say a hop,skip and jump to the USA. From Edmonton to say Coutts though it's at least a 5 hour trip one way. Factor in time and gas and shipping to an Edmonton address is likely just as expensive. I have a Purolator account for shipping that gives me a 30% discount over regular shipping domestic and USA. I shipped a bumper a year ago across Canada to Nova Scotia and the charge was a little over $100 insured. No one (post office) or other courier, including Greyhound at the time could come close.

I agree with Al, if the wheels are marked at a discount price on an invoice then they likely will not be charged an import tariff at the border.
Old April 8th, 2019, 02:50 PM
MOTORHEAD

AL and ALLAN
Thank you both

Maybe some one in Canada has some wheels to sell ???

All the best
brian
Old April 8th, 2019, 04:51 PM

There's a company set up to facilitate these kind of things. Look up DYK post. They have depots at the border and make frequent runs between Canada and the US for a reasonable cost. I've used them a few times and was happy with the cost of service. The wheels ship to the US depot closest to the Canadian address and are picked up and carried to the Canadian city.