General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Heater/AC issues 69 Cutlass conv

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2019, 09:05 AM

Heater/AC issues 69 Cutlass conv

I am trying to sort out why nothing seems to work. This was a non-AC car that someone converted to air I am told. This conclusion was reached because the are outside air dampers in the footwells. I can't imaging how much work was involved in the conversion. ......After discovering there was no hard ductwork or flex duct, and a bad fan speed switch, I moved on to check out the vacuum lines. Several were not connected and I had no vacuum tank. So I managed to locate all duct needed and a vacuum tank. I have cleaned up the vacuum lines and connected most. But, I have a few questions that after looking at the CSM I'm still not clear on. Fig. 1C-20. Where does the larger black line coming off the tank go? The diagram shows it splitting and appears one goes to the carb? and I don't know what the other one is connecting to. Is there a Y type splitter that connects to 2 different size lines? I have a dangling line coming off the carb that has a white stripe. Any clarification is appreciated.
thanks,
Steve
Old October 1st, 2019, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Phoenix8990
Where does the larger black line coming off the tank go?
That should connect to a manifold vacuum source, either a fitting on the intake manifold or a port on the base of the carburetor.
Old October 2nd, 2019, 08:45 AM

I have a line connecting to the rear of the carb and a connection on the front of the carb that is currently capped. If it doesn't matter where the vacuum comes from I can connect to that. It does provide enough vacuum to get some things operating. I suspect I could just run one line to the larger fitting on the front of the carb and cap the smaller one on the rear of the carb.
thanks