General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Happy Me

Old September 26th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Happy Me

I started back in the winter doing the AC installation in my 54. Month ago Richard (gearshead78) fabricated the brackets I had designed to mount my Sanden compressor. I have a Frigiking underdash unit I bought on ebay about a year ago. I actually just bought another identical one that had a better front. I get the AC working several months ago but then the car ran too hot to use the AC. Then I had the radiator recored a couple weeks ago to a 3 core radiator. Last weekend I installed it and the two speed electric fan. Then the alternator didn't work. Come to find out after I ordered a 140 amp alternator that it was a broken wire. I installed the new alternator anyway since I am now running an electric fan, AC and an electric fuel pump. I ran a new 8 gauge wire from the alternator to the battery terminal. Now at idle, she show 13.7 volts at idle with the fan and AC on.

Now here is the real happy part. I have had a 56 carb on this car for the past two years. This was after the under hood fire (don't ask please). The original 54 carb was full of foam from a fire extinguisher. A friend of mine rebuilt the 56 carb for me and he is one of the best old car guys around. The car never idled right and barely pulled 15 inches vacuum. I dug my old 54 carb out several months ago and cleaned it up an put a kit in it. It has been on my workbench for several months. When I finished rewiring the alternator, I decided it was time to replace the carb. I put the old carb back on, cranked the car and she was perfect. I never even had to touch the idle screw. Idles perfect in gear with the AC and the fan on. There is no pop in the exhaust and she pulls 18 inched vacuum. I think the 56 carb probably has worn throttle shafts. It is like this is one of those things that has been a pain for two years and now it is gone. On top of this, all the rest of the things I have been working on have come together. It is funny how some of the small things can bring us joy.

Last edited by redoldsman; September 27th, 2015 at 06:49 AM.
Old September 26th, 2015, 04:12 PM
72 Olds CS

Nice it really is great when you get it just the way you want it! And can enjoy your car....sounds like you made some nice upgrades.
Old September 26th, 2015, 04:39 PM

Congratulations,sounds like you finally have got it all together,enjoy. Larry
Old September 26th, 2015, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
It is funny how some of the small things can bring us joy.
Amen to that brother! I understand your joy completely!! I get cranky when even the smallest thing is not working right on my cars, but what a great feeling when everything is purring.
Old September 27th, 2015, 03:15 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Congratulations redoldsman! You've been working a long time on the a/c project. Glad to hear that it came out well.

I'll get my a/c working one of these days.

Frank
Old September 27th, 2015, 06:59 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Unfortunately the ending was not quite as good as the rest of the story. My wife and I took the car out last night and went down to Keller's Hamburgers which is a gathering place for gearheads on Saturday night. Full moon, cool weather and the top down. Car just ran perfect. We get home and I go out to pull the car in the garage. Just as I am pulling in I hear this noise from under the hood. Here is the dumb part. When I got the electric fan, one of the blades was cracked. Being anxious to get the car back together, I decided to repair it. The blade broke off just as I was pulling into the garage. I guess the good news is that it did it in the garage and not out on the road. It is a Cooling Components fan and I hope I can just buy a new blade. Now I get to pull the radiator back out. If I had the good sense to send the fan back, things would be great. The fan, the AC and the new alternator were all working great. Hey, the carb is working great too.
Old September 27th, 2015, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Sometimes its a 2 step forward and 1 back. Good thing it didn't do any other damage.
Old September 27th, 2015, 07:51 AM

On the Internet under Cooling Components Fans and Shrouds it says in Bold Letters "Satisfaction Guaranteed", so it should be replaced free of charge. I am just glad that I got by with the original fan and radiator and don't overheat. Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; September 27th, 2015 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Correction
Old September 27th, 2015, 08:30 AM

Great news it is all in there and working or will be working soon anyway. Let us know how well it works on a hot day with the top and windows up, you have me interested..... Tedd
Old September 27th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Tedd:

I will be glad to send you a copy of the cardboard template I made for my compressor mounting bracket. It has been an interesting project. The AC work great and now I just need to finish the cooling system. I think I will be done next Saturday.
Old September 28th, 2015, 07:36 AM

Decisions decisions.
I have been reluctant to make the change over just because of how close my
car is to original but it's looking doubtful that my wife will venture out on many more trips during the summer in the 100+ heat we seem to get caught in. Happy wife happy life.

I was hoping to find a original AC setup and install it but as you know they are as hard to find as hens teeth and require a kings ransom to purchase so the way you have gone will probably be what I end up doing also.I have had thoughts of building another car and just make it a driver and not worry about originality but that will require a major hit in the budget and that is not a happy wife thing ether. I'll give you a PM , It's never a bad idea to have a pattern set aside in case my plans don't work out .... Tedd
Old September 28th, 2015, 10:30 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Interesting thing about the wife Tedd. That is exactly why I added the AC to my car. Being married for 49 years, you learn a few things along they way. Marrying my wife is the one thing I consider I did perfectly and and very thankful for it. I actually used an old Frigiking unit for the underdash unit. I had it checked for leaks and flushed. I cleaned the case up with a couple coats of black Krylon plastic paint. All the rest of the system is new including the Sanden compressor. I got everything mounted and then took it to an AC shop and had them make up all the hoses and charge the system. I was fortunate to find the 4 groove crankshaft and water pump pulleys. I have seen it done without those and I only use one belt on the compressor. I think the Sanden compressor is the only thing that does not look period correct. Of course it is mounted right above the non-period correct alternator. Those are the only things on my car that are not correct. I will probably never to the OCA Nationals and have my car judged so it doesn't matter to me. I recently installed a tissue dispenser on the right side which hides where the hoses go through the firewall.
Old September 28th, 2015, 10:45 AM

That's interesting about how it's hidden, sometime when you get a chance post a picture of your under hood area if you don't mind I would like to see the finished setup.

Curious, I know that Oldsmobile used generators for some time with AC installed, did you change for a reason or just because of a update to the system?... Tedd