General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Goodbye to the Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2023, 09:55 AM

Goodbye to the Camaro?

Apparently for now, but not necessarily forever. The end of the Camaro was announced earlier this year, but I only heard about it today.

The article is mostly about the layoffs occurring as a result.

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...o/71929871007/

This is from a different article. Seems to leave open the prospect of the Camaro name returning someday.

Old December 16th, 2023, 10:28 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Apparently for now, but not necessarily forever. The end of the Camaro was announced earlier this year, but I only heard about it today ... This is from a different article. Seems to leave open the prospect of the Camaro name returning someday.
Thanks for the post. I think I was aware of this but it somehow fell off my radar. I doubt I will have much interest in a resurrected Camaro as it undoubtedly will be an EV.

Last edited by BangScreech4-4-2; December 16th, 2023 at 10:38 AM.
Old December 16th, 2023, 10:29 AM

Not the first time that GM killed off the Camaro. They stopped production in 2002, and didnt bring it back until the 2010 model year.
Old December 16th, 2023, 10:54 AM

True!
Old December 16th, 2023, 10:59 AM

This too.
Old December 16th, 2023, 11:00 AM

The order window for Camaro is officially closed as of last week. That means build out to whatever orders are on file. They won't say the drop dead date for the last 6th gen Camaro to be built, but it should be soon if not already.

Yeah, it dies, and no fanfare at all from an iconic car that helped GM during the late 60s/early 70s muscle-car and racing wars. And now, it's left to die on the vine without so much as a mention other than the story isn't over.

If the next Camaro isn't an ICE platform, then it truly is dead. People can claim EV is the future, and an EV Camaro would be faster, blah blah. But when it comes to the Camaro, it's more about the lineage and love of the car, NOT always 1/4 mile times/trap speeds. If that were the case, nobody would have bought a 442.

You can build other platforms of EV, but if you want to use an iconic/historic nameplate from the past such as Camaro, don't put it on an EV. Might as well call it "Another GM Shitbox" if it's going to be an EV with a Camaro nameplate on it. Mustang Mach E is figuring that out pretty quickly. Leave it dead if you're going to abuse the heritage. Nobody will come running to an EV called "Camaro" because it's just using a name without the soul. Maybe sheeple will, I dunno. It'd be the same if they took a Cadillac CT4, changed the grille and taillights and called it a 442. NOBODY would be swayed by that BS into buying one. But then again, most of us that actually understand what drives us to own muscle cars in the first place will be lost on future generations of mindless dimtwits.

The unfortunate deal is Chevrolet kept lamenting about poor Camaro sales...for several YEARS. WTF does that tell you? That's on you, GM. You should have got up off your lazy duffs early on and figure out what it would take to make it a top seller again between the Challenger, Mustang (ICE version), and itself. Maybe they wanted it gone. I don't know. Killing Oldsmobile and Pontiac, and now the Camaro (again). Whether or not you like them or not, the Camaro didn't deserve to go out like this.
Old December 16th, 2023, 11:25 AM

GM didn't show any love when they killed off Pontiac and Oldsmobile. They kept a brand (Buick) that some Communist dictator liked.
Old December 16th, 2023, 11:34 AM

Oh well...
Old December 16th, 2023, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
GM didn't show any love when they killed off Pontiac and Oldsmobile. They kept a brand (Buick) that some Communist dictator liked.
I have zero use for GM &I love my Toyota products.
Old December 16th, 2023, 11:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Will GM Heritage Center have to move this "last Camaro" to make room for the new one? Kinda like the "last convertible".

Old December 16th, 2023, 12:28 PM

Maybe the red one got renamed "last 4th gen Camaro".

Saw that car in Bowling Green, KY Camaro gathering.

It was rather neat at the time, but after they came back with the 5th gen, it sorta lost its luster.

Old December 16th, 2023, 02:16 PM
Administrator

The 6th Gen Camaro will have a sign next to it that says "We really mean it this time Last Camaro"
Old December 16th, 2023, 02:23 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Will GM Heritage Center have to move this "last Camaro" to make room for the new one? Kinda like the "last convertible".
They can park it next to the '76 Eldorado.
Old December 16th, 2023, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
I have zero use for GM &I love my Toyota products.

You are certainly concerned with what they are doing though!

I'll continue to be a GM guy. The company certainly isn't without it's faults. The Camaro seemed to be living in the shadow of the Challenger and Mustang, it's no surprise to me its going away. I had planned on ordering a new 2010 when they came out, but after an extended test drive, I really didn't like the car..
Old December 16th, 2023, 03:52 PM
Oldsdruid

In spite of GM's repayment of the 2008 federal bailout money, its acceptance of the bailout all but assured it would be compelled to build vehicles that fit the current agenda. Pretty obvious Camaro's being shuttled aside in favor of EV production.

I never took to the 2010-later Camaro. It looks heavy and the proportions never looked right to me. Wasn't a fan of the used bar of soap styling of the 1993-2002 either. If it ever returns it will undoubtedly be electric with all the tired-*** EV styling tropes.
Old December 16th, 2023, 04:39 PM
Senior Moment Member

Bought one in 96. LT1, 6 speed. Nice car. Put a 383 stroker motor in it and when I blew that up I went racing. 538 BBC. Spray too. 9.40s. Dodge beat the hell out of the chevy in the styling dept. IMO. That being said, .gov is shoving evs down our throat. Do you know ANYONE who wants an ev? Yeah, me neither. .gov can kiss my ***.

Old December 16th, 2023, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by 66_Jetstar
You are certainly concerned with what they are doing though!

I'll continue to be a GM guy. The company certainly isn't without it's faults. The Camaro seemed to be living in the shadow of the Challenger and Mustang, it's no surprise to me its going away. I had planned on ordering a new 2010 when they came out, but after an extended test drive, I really didn't like the car..
No I'm not really concerned what the Chinese loving GM is doing. After watching the video of the GM CEO giving a speech in China kissing their ***,that was it for me.
Old December 16th, 2023, 06:09 PM
Banned

If only there would ever be a last putzstang. Now it is a four door suv. I would take a Camaro as is over an suv putzstang all day. Hell you can even get a Maverick truck?? I will never own a new ford. They can't even come up with a new model name. Doesn't matter to putzstang fans. Still a putzstang. Puke.
Old December 17th, 2023, 01:12 AM

gm is no longer GM as the capital letters were deemed threatening and offensive.
Old December 17th, 2023, 05:24 AM

No I'm not really concerned what the Chinese loving GM is doing. After watching the video of the GM CEO giving a speech in China kissing their ***,that was it for me.
This is why GM kisses China's ***. It's not by much over the U.S., but China is GM's largest market. At least it was in 2021.

Old December 17th, 2023, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
This is why GM kisses China's ***. It's not by much over the U.S., but China is GM's largest market. At least it was in 2021.

Thats eye opening, I never knew that.. 😳
Old December 17th, 2023, 06:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by fleming442
gm is no longer GM as the capital letters were deemed threatening and offensive.
Actually, I assumed it was because gm no longer has the stature that it used to...
Old December 17th, 2023, 08:14 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

China is why gm kept Buick. They are very popular in China. Other than a Corvette, I would never own another late model gm product. It is not the same company it used to be and the products are certainly not the same.
Old December 17th, 2023, 08:33 AM

Interesting. I have two late-model GM products. Last spring we bought a '23 Silverado LT pickup, and late this summer we bought for my wife a '24 Buick Encore GX. So far, both vehicles have been fine.

The Buick did have a recall, but it was a software fix, and the recall was performed in my garage as it was downloaded via the internet and installed right there. Never had that kind of recall experience before.
Old December 17th, 2023, 08:42 AM
Banned

I agree. What manufacturer would people pick over GM? Look how many Hyundai's and Kia's you see on the road. I wouldn't own either one. Going to tell me that they are better quality than a GM product? I am sure plenty of Ford fans appreciate their whatever's. Same for Mopar people. It's all an opinion really when you break it down. I can think of more than half a dozen people that know with Chevy trucks that have had zero issues. Nice trucks.
Old December 17th, 2023, 09:10 AM

I have been particularly pleased with the Silverado. Very quiet inside, roomy, easy to drive. Decent gas mileage. 4-wheel drive, which I've not yet needed but winter is coming.

What's interesting is the engine in it. When I went to look for a new truck, my intent was to get something that could tow a trailer with one of my big old Oldsmobiles on it. I was assuming I would want a truck with a V-8 engine.

But no! The first thing the salesman told me, after I told him what I wanted to tow and what it weighed, was that a Silverado with the 2.7 liter turbo-charged 4-cylinder engine would tow just fine. I thought "a four cylinder engine? Really?" He assured that the engines aren't what they used to be. So I believed him and bought one. He was right. The truck has no trouble pulling the trailer with a 4800 lb car on it. Mileage is 20-25 mpg combined/city highway (less with a trailer, of course), which is likely better than a V-8 would give. Plus the truck was cheaper. So I'm happy.

Here it is with the trailer all hooked up and carrying my '78 Toronado. The longest tow was to the Olds Nationals in Dayton last August. Round trip is about 500 miles. No trouble at all, but I don't go screaming down the highway at 75 or 80 the way I see many pickups towing something do. Too fast for me. I'll do 65 and let everyone pass up the slow old guy with the old car.

Old December 17th, 2023, 02:13 PM
Escape From The Ordinary

I am sure at some point the Camaro badge will return. Here is my 30th anniversary SS. 6 spd, houndstooth interior, and 20k miles.

Old December 17th, 2023, 02:41 PM
Banned

You all get it. This is an Oldsmobile website. People hating on GM? Go somewhere else.

I am in the construction field. Remodels etc. I have never heard one person bitching about their Chevy. Not one.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; December 17th, 2023 at 03:09 PM.
Old December 17th, 2023, 02:50 PM

Turns out I misread a post, me quoting your post was a bit uncalled for..
Old December 17th, 2023, 05:44 PM

Turns out I misread a post, me quoting your post was a bit uncalled for..
No problem.
Old December 17th, 2023, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by WTHIRTY1
I am sure at some point the Camaro badge will return. Here is my 30th anniversary SS. 6 spd, houndstooth interior, and 20k miles.
I guess I ought to toss in my little Camaro story about the FIRST time Camaro went away in 2002. I was going to, then not, then waffled some more, but in January 2002 I decided to go all-in on ordering a new Camaro SS 6-speed manual. Didn't care much for the 35th anniversary paint and stripe layout, but it was a toss-up between Pewter and Sunset Orange. I went with the Pewter.

As I was waiting for the car to be built, and being from a GM family, as my dad retired from Corvette, I took the time to write the plant manager and express my gratitude for the F-body and was sad to see it go. I felt fortunate enough to get one of the "final" 2002 F-bodies before they closed up that part of automotive history. I did ask for a favor, if some of the workers could sign a 3x5 index card or some little trinket like that to toss in the glovebox, which would kind of personalize the car for me. I finally got a TPW of my birthday week in April '02. Yay!

To my total surprise, in mid-April, I got word that although my car got built, there was a temporary hold on the car's shipment. WTF? Dealer couldn't explain it. Dude! Where's my car?

Turns out, the car was built, shipped to SLP for upfit of all the SLP conversion tidbits, and then shipped back to Ste. Therese plant for photo ops! They used my car for a write-up in the final edition of the plant's newsletter. Found out that was the cause of the dealy.

The plant manager had sent me a letter, along with a copy of the build sheet, photos, and a big "Thank You" card with a slew of plant employees' signatures. It was one of the coolest swag bags I've ever received for buying a car. It all arrived at the house about 5 days before the car got to the railyard for final arrival to the dealership. I got to see my new car before I actually saw my car in real life!

Then, later on, the assistant manager sent me a copy of the final edition of the plant newsletter. I told them to go ahead translate it to French as well for the French-speaking employees. They obliged. Quite the treat.

And finally, they did deliver! Last car of the day.

Wife and I had matching cars back then. It was fun. Hers was a Z28 cloth interior auto without the SS package, leather and M6.

My dad even told me that in all his time at GM, he's NEVER seen that done. In 2009, Mike Judge (not the Beavis & Butthead guy) from the Oshawa plant had a cutaway Camaro poster for those that ordered a 2010 Camaro that people would sign and he personally sent it to the owners. He was only going to do 50 at first, but I think it became a thing and I believe a few more were done. It wasn't an official thing, just an Oshawa worker doing it, although management did give him the posters. I believe mine was #50, but I'd have to check. My dad had a stroke earlier in 2009, so I asked if he would put his name on the poster in his honor as well. I felt blessed.

Old December 17th, 2023, 06:44 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I bought my Challenger for multiple reasons, way better looks than the Camaro, ZL1 looked especially awful. The AWD is great in the Winter along with towing my boat. A cracked plastic trans pan and the horn not working from new have been the only issues outside of the UConnect freezing up, updates have mostly fixed it. It doesn't use any oil between the 10,000 km synthetic oil changes. The 305 HP V6 also doesn't have the direct injection issues. Many of us are not GM loyal anymore, why should we be? They ruined then killed our brand, Oldsmobile. Then they canceled my next favorite brand Pontiac. Buick will never have GSX or GNX revival, so why care about them either? Yeah, their trucks aren't that bad for the most part and look decent. But so do Dodge and Ford with equal reliability. Any of the manufacturers can shove their $100+K price tag for a nice new truck. The new GM's paint has chipped really badly. Pretty sure there has been issues with 5.3 LT and newest diesel I6 burning oil. My Bosses new GM 1/2 ton truck I6 uses some oil, like a liter between oil changes. It was just before the power upgrade. The belt that requires the trans dropped to service every 150000 miles is ridiculous. Every brand has issues. Camaro, how can we miss you if you don't go away? No loss to me.
Old December 17th, 2023, 08:15 PM

I'm an advocate for American made products, but honestly GM never should have been bailed out in 2009, & Chrysler never should have been bailed out in 1980 & 2009. Complacency, poorly engineered cars, overpaid union workers & unsustainable pensions were the primary reasons US auto manufacturers declared bankruptcy.

Last edited by MagicMan; December 18th, 2023 at 06:25 AM.
Old December 17th, 2023, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by MagicMan
I'm an advocate for American made products, but honestly GM never should have been bailed out in 2009, & Chrysler never should have been bailed out in 1980 & 2009. Complacency, poorly engineered cars, overpaid union workers & unstainable pensions were the primary reasons US auto manufacturers declared bankruptcy.

The reason the government kept GM and Chrysler going was to keep large scale manufacturing in the US. It worked out pretty well eighty some odd years ago.

Last edited by 66_Jetstar; December 17th, 2023 at 11:24 PM.
Old December 18th, 2023, 06:32 AM

The reason the government kept GM and Chrysler going was to keep large scale manufacturing in the US. It worked out pretty well eighty some odd years ago.
I understand that, but you're basically rewarding poorly managed corporations that couldn't succeed in the business world. Fair or unfair that's how competition works.
Old December 18th, 2023, 07:07 AM

It also kept something like 28 million people employed at a time when unemployment rates were already soaring.
Old December 18th, 2023, 07:21 AM

It also kept something like 28 million people employed at a time when unemployment rates were already soaring.
And here we are again 15 years later & the unions are asking for more money, a shorter work week & increased benefits & pensions. This should end well.
Old December 18th, 2023, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by MagicMan
I understand that, but you're basically rewarding poorly managed corporations that couldn't succeed in the business world. Fair or unfair that's how competition works.
This whole deal about supporting American companies in my opinion is BS. My Toyota was built was built in IN.& my other Toyotas were built in KY. My Chevy truck was built in Mexico.
Old December 18th, 2023, 10:42 AM

This whole deal about supporting American companies in my opinion is BS. My Toyota was built was built in IN.& my other Toyotas were built in KY. My Chevy truck was built in Mexico.
This point cannot be overstated. Nowadays, and for years now, the concept of a vehicle being made in a single country is gone.

In another thread I mentioned that I had purchased both a '23 Chevy Silverado and a '24 Buick Encore over the course of the last year.

I always save window stickers, and here are scans of a portion of the sticker for each of these vehicles. Very telling with regard to where parts were made and where the vehicles were assembled.

Here's the info from the Chevy sticker. The engine and transmission were made in the U.S. (but presumably the parts that were used to make them were not all made in the U.S.?). Only 33% of all the parts were made in the U.S or Canada. with another approximately one-third (38%) made in Mexico. This means that almost one-third (29%) of the parts in the truck were made somewhere other than North America.

Final assembly point is in the U.S. at Roanoke, Indiana

The Buick Encore is much more interesting. It's really a re-badged South Korean car.

Only 3% of the parts in the car were made in the U.S. It was probably the windshield wiper blades or something like that.

76% of the parts were made in Korea or Mexico.

While the engine and transmission "originated" (what's the difference between "originated" and "made?") in the U.S., the final assembly point was in Korea. So engines and transmissions are shipped to Korea, the car is built there, and then it is shipped back to the U.S. to be sold.

Now contrast the above with this from the window sticker of a 2022 Nissan Frontier pickup truck. I actually traded in a 2013 Frontier when I bought the Silverado. I couldn't find a windows sticker for a 2013, but this is for a 2022.

40% of the parts, more than either of the Buick or Chevy above, are U.S./Canadian made. While the transmission comes from Japan, the engine comes from the U.S., and the truck was assembled in Mississippi.

I think it is safe to say that the Nissan, a Japanese brand, is overall at least as American made as the Silverado and is much more American made than the Buick Encore.

There really is no such thing as "made in America" anymore, at least not with automobiles.
Old December 18th, 2023, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by WTHIRTY1

I think that is my favorite model and paint and edition.

I've beat my Toyota close to death with 290k. It needs work. I am using a rental at the moment for various things, it is a Dodge Charger, and I have rented a few of these in the past year and really like it. Dodge has the control screen thing figured out, still lots of normal buttons and not very big, and the thing has got a 300 horse v6 and is not afraid to use all of them. Gets about 25 mpg. I fit in it comfortably and it rides nicely enough but still sporty. I can't imagine how unholy a Hellcat would be.

Quick Reply: Goodbye to the Camaro?