General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

found a hole in my gas line

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2014, 04:06 PM

found a hole in my gas line

Rather then trying 2 patch it I want to change the line. The thing is that the line runs through the frame. Do I have to run it through the frame as well or could i get a braided line n just run it on t he side if the frame??
Old January 10th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Administrator

I agree that replacing that line is a pia. I've seen it done with a quality braided line and clamps.
Old January 10th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 71cutty
Rather then trying 2 patch it I want to change the line. The thing is that the line runs through the frame. Do I have to run it through the frame as well or could i get a braided line n just run it on t he side if the frame??
You're talking about the line from the fuel pump to the connection on the fuel rail, right? That shouldn't be hard to fish through a new piece. If you also notice GM put some insulating fibre on that line to help prevent perforation from vibration. I just replaced the rubber hoses on my connections last year and I don't think that line is difficult to fish.

If you're talking about the main fuel line that goes up over the rear frame rail, that's a world of hurt because the only way to replace it completely is to lift the body. Running a braided or rubber line will get the job done as long as it's secured properly.
Old January 11th, 2014, 07:36 AM

Thanks, I'm going to the garage 2day let's see how this works out
Old January 11th, 2014, 08:56 AM

Good luck man.
Old January 11th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 71cutty
If you are talking about a 1971 Cutlass, the only place the fuel line actually runs inside the frame is at the front frame horn, from the firewall to where the line stubs out to the fuel pump. Everywhere else the line is simply bolted to the inside of an open C-channel (or the outside of the box if you have a convertible). There is a section of the line where it runs between the frame and the body, and that part is a PITA to replace when the body is on the frame, but the rest is accessible.
Old January 12th, 2014, 02:12 AM

Thanks
Old January 12th, 2014, 06:47 AM

I forgot to have the rear line in place when I put the body on once.
It was not that bad to fix, I just had to remove some of the right rear body mount bolts and drop the frame down off the body about 6 inches at the corner, and tweak the line a little as it went thru.

The frame is very flexible when not secured to the body, so this is easy.
As long as your body mount bolts are removable.
Old January 13th, 2014, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
If you are talking about a 1971 Cutlass, the only place the fuel line actually runs inside the frame is at the front frame horn, from the firewall to where the line stubs out to the fuel pump.
Note that when you install this short piece of hard line that you are supposed to use the hose on each end to protect the hard line from the edges of the frame where it enters and exits. The hose prevents chafing; without it, you will eventually wear a pinhole in the hard line. Ask me how I know. This is all shown in the Assembly Manual.