General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Filling empty engine and radiator with coolant

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2013, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Oh, for Pete's sake. Just look in your Chassis Service Manual.
Do you really need to ask this as a question?

- Eric
What's wrong with asking from people's experience how much it takes to fill an empty system? Sometimes it's easier to ask on here than it is to find the answer in a manual. I didn't mention this to be a jerk, unlike some other people, I just wanted them to know that wasn't enough.
Old May 21st, 2013, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by pogo69
I suggested 2 gallons antfreeze should be enough....not 50/50
Sorry pogo I misunderstood
Old May 21st, 2013, 08:35 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Finn5033
What's wrong with asking from people's experience how much it takes to fill an empty system?
Sometimes it's easier to ask on here than it is to find the answer in a manual.
What's wrong is that it takes one person two minutes to find it in the manual, or that person can take one to ten minutes of a dozen people's time to get an answer that may or may not be correct, but that wastes literally hours of the combined time of all of the people who generously answered his question.

You could have just opened the book (or the pdf file), read that it takes 16 quarts (18 with A/C), and filled your radiator.

That's what I do. I do it all the time with one car or another.

That's what most of us do.

Asking questions whose answers you could easily find in the manual, especially when you have the manual (or know where it is on line), is simply disrespectful and insulting to the people whom you are asking to answer it; by doing this, you are clearly saying (as you said above, in different words) that your time is more valuable than theirs - "I will spend a few seconds asking a question, and let those other suckers spend many minutes each writing answers and then discussing them."

A lot of my answers to people are essentially, "Look in the Chassis Service Manual."
This is why.

- Eric
Old May 21st, 2013, 08:41 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I learned a lot about water as a side note. Just saying .
Old May 21st, 2013, 08:48 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

I use distilled, filtered, boiled, bottled tap water....from a well.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 05:44 AM

What's wrong is that it takes one person two minutes to find it in the manual, or that person can take one to ten minutes of a dozen people's time to get an answer that may or may not be correct, but that wastes literally hours of the combined time of all of the people who generously answered his question.

You could have just opened the book (or the pdf file), read that it takes 16 quarts (18 with A/C), and filled your radiator.

That's what I do. I do it all the time with one car or another.

That's what most of us do.

Asking questions whose answers you could easily find in the manual, especially when you have the manual (or know where it is on line), is simply disrespectful and insulting to the people whom you are asking to answer it; by doing this, you are clearly saying (as you said above, in different words) that your time is more valuable than theirs - "I will spend a few seconds asking a question, and let those other suckers spend many minutes each writing answers and then discussing them."

A lot of my answers to people are essentially, "Look in the Chassis Service Manual."
This is why.

- Eric
What I have learned Eric is that you like to take what people say and twist it into meaning what you want it to believe. No where did I say that I think my time is more valuable than anyone elses. I ask questions when I have a hard time finding the answer in a manual myself. I know its not difficult to do this particular task, I just wanted to know if anyone had done it and knew how much it took to fill the system so I didn't have to make multiple runs to the store. I have consulted the service manual on many things that I do to my car but you know what, sometimes that doesn't work because its not always the same as parts on my car that may have been replaced in the past. Not to mention that I have stated many times that this is my first go around with a classic car. So I don't understand why you feel the need to talk down to people who don't know as much as you do. I always thank everyone for their help, because I truly am grateful. And just so you know, you are the only person on this site that has been rude to me about any of my comments or questions, this being the second time. So I hope your happy. I wanted to think it was just a misunderstanding the first time, but now I see my first instinct about you was right.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 06:17 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'm completely willing to accept that in a jerk sometimes, but that doesn't change the fact that you said, without prompting, that you asked other people to look up easily-found information that you didn't want to bother looking up yourself.

I believe that that is an inappropriate use of this (or any) forum, and I said so.

If you had written, "The manual says it's four gallons total, does that seem right, and is there anything else I should know?" that would have been fine.
But you didn't.
You asked other people to do your work for you, even though you are intelligent, well spoken, well versed in English, and have access to the manual.

In my book, that is misuse of the forum.

If you were from another country, or you didnt have the manual, or I thought you were borderline retarded, I wouldn't have said anything, but you are fully competent to thumb through the book, or look in the Index, so I criticized you.

I have nothing against you personally, but I disapprove of this type of use of the forum, regardless of who does it.

- Eric
Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:45 AM

I'm completely willing to accept that in a jerk sometimes, but that doesn't change the fact that you said, without prompting, that you asked other people to look up easily-found information that you didn't want to bother looking up yourself.

I believe that that is an inappropriate use of this (or any) forum, and I said so.

If you had written, "The manual says it's four gallons total, does that seem right, and is there anything else I should know?" that would have been fine.
But you didn't.
You asked other people to do your work for you, even though you are intelligent, well spoken, well versed in English, and have access to the manual.

In my book, that is misuse of the forum.

If you were from another country, or you didnt have the manual, or I thought you were borderline retarded, I wouldn't have said anything, but you are fully competent to thumb through the book, or look in the Index, so I criticized you.

I have nothing against you personally, but I disapprove of this type of use of the forum, regardless of who does it.

- Eric
Ok, agree to disagree. I am not lazy and have found that sometimes finding an answer in those service manuals is harder than actually doing the work. I do not feel that is a misuse of the forum, in fact I feel that asking a simple question to save yourself some time and frustration is exactly what these forums are for. But again, agree to disagree. Time to move
Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:55 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Fair enough, and we can all occasionally do things that are "lazy" without being "lazy" people as a whole - I'm not trying to be insulting in any if this.

Personally, I'm lazy as heck most of the time - just ask my wife or my coworkers.

- Eric
Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:15 AM

Amazing.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:30 AM

Glad that's settled, thanks for keeping cool heads
Old May 22nd, 2013, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Glad that's settled, thanks for keeping cool heads
But what kind of water should you use to keep those heads cool?
Old May 22nd, 2013, 04:47 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by BlackGold
But what kind of water should you use to keep those heads cool?
Not firewater. That's how I got into it in the first place.

- Eric
Old May 22nd, 2013, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Is this really necessary? I'm 56 years old and have been wrenching on cars since my teens. I've changed the coolant in many cars over the years, I've never diluted with anything but tap water, I've never had a problem in any car, and I've driven some of them many miles before they were finally retired.

I have some jugs of coolant in the garage right now, and I just went and looked at the label on one. All it says is dilute with "fresh" water. No mention of distilled or DI or holy water or anything. I would think this would be mentioned if this were an issue.

While there's certainly nothing wrong with using distilled, in my experience, and in going by the label on the coolant jug, it's not necessary.
No....it isn't necessary. There's more rust in your engine block than you'll find in your water taps. Also, I never buy premixed. They charge more for premixed than the pure antifreeze and you're only getting half a jug of antifreeze in the premix.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:08 PM

Sorry Finn - this never shoulda got out of hand like this.
And to think, this thread could have ended in two helpful words - "four gallons".

There are times it takes less time to ask here then to find the manual, maybe wait till you get home to do so, figure out is it in the maintenance section or the cooling section - no capacities! Where is that now....
I have been in this situation several, okay many times. Sometimes it is more fun (social) to ask.

We are here to help so that is what we should do. If not, we should not say anything. There were some forum rules broke here and the guilty ones should know who they are. No more please.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
And to think, this thread could have ended in two helpful words - "four gallons".

There are times it takes less time to ask here then to find the manual, maybe wait till you get home to do so, figure out is it in the maintenance section or the cooling section - no capacities! Where is that now....
I have been in this situation several, okay many times. Sometimes it is more fun (social) to ask.

We are here to help so that is what we should do. If not, we should not say anything. There were some forum rules broke here and the guilty ones should know who they are. No more please.
Thank you Rob
Old May 23rd, 2013, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71

I do that too. Even though I know the answer to my own question or I can google it, I ask just to get a conversation going.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 02:44 PM
morgan

I dont think its a big deal either way ...its like asking someone 'whats the weather going to be like today.'' Its easier to get get a general idea from someone but if you have some spare time you can look it up on the weather channel...either way works
Old May 23rd, 2013, 05:51 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I will hang on to my pet peeve and respectfully disagree with every man among ya'.

And I will repeat, although I hold my opinion on this subject very strongly, I mean no disrespect and harbor no ill will toward Finn.

I just think our energy would be better spent discussing the more difficult or unanswerable questions, rather than the ones for which the answer is already printed on paper clear as day.

Just my opinion, and, admittedly, not that humble. I've expressed it, and have no need to re-argue it any further.

I am sorry if I caused offense, as I did not intend to.

- Eric
Old July 21st, 2022, 01:25 PM

Use distilled water. Hard water cruds up the system. You can see it on the cap and inside the radiator. If you take your thermostat housing off you will really see some good stuff.

Since we are on capacities, how much beer can fit into my trunk on my 74 Cutlass Salon.
Old July 21st, 2022, 07:05 PM

Way to resurrect a 9 year old thread.

The answer to the beer question depends upon the type of beer. Your suspension can handle a lot more lite beer than stout, porter, or other heavy beers.

Last edited by Fun71; July 21st, 2022 at 07:08 PM.
Old July 21st, 2022, 07:32 PM

That had not even crossed my mind. That is a rookie mistake. "Great taste, less filling." It's clear I need to use a light beer. Miller Lite it is.
Old July 21st, 2022, 07:35 PM

Glacier water is the best.
Old July 21st, 2022, 07:41 PM

Another rookie mistake. Can I get this in Texas?
Old July 21st, 2022, 07:42 PM

Or maybe there's beer in Texarkana.
Old October 10th, 2022, 07:18 PM
W30

Yeeeealllo

Reservations to resolect

If no one asks a question......then there's no forum... to talk about ****.

So.

Question, I have a radiator thats aftermarket,
( origanal 4 row ...a correct 1,200$ one not a ebay $180)
455 ci
my question is.
If the radiator is at fill mark / the funnel part inside_ it pukes fluid.
if fluid is 2inches below the fill_ funnel inside radiator.
it doesn't puke fluid.
After puking fluid it doesn't use or burn it...so I just run it 2 to 3inches below the full mark....
doesnt overheat....
Honestly it bugs me like theres sometimes wromg.
Old October 10th, 2022, 07:38 PM

That sounds normal for an open system that does not use an overflow tank and a return style radiator cap. The heated water expands and has to go somewhere, so it pushes past the cap until the volume stabilizes.

With a closed system that uses an overflow jug and a return style radiator cap, the expanding coolant is still pushed out of the radiator until the volume stabilizes, but the overflow is captured in the tank, then when the engine cools the return cap allows the coolant from the overflow tank to be drawn back into the radiator. This keeps the level in the radiator all the way to the top with no air in the system.
Old October 10th, 2022, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by truckman5000
Yeeeealllo

Reservations to resolect

If no one asks a question......then there's no forum... to talk about ****.

So.

Question, I have a radiator thats aftermarket,
( origanal 4 row ...a correct 1,200$ one not a ebay $180)
455 ci
my question is.
If the radiator is at fill mark / the funnel part inside_ it pukes fluid.
if fluid is 2inches below the fill_ funnel inside radiator.
it doesn't puke fluid.
After puking fluid it doesn't use or burn it...so I just run it 2 to 3inches below the full mark....
doesnt overheat....
Honestly it bugs me like theres sometimes wromg.
Do you have an overflow bottle?
Old October 10th, 2022, 08:08 PM
72Cutlass S

If you own a modern car. Look at the coolant reservoir cold before starting. Then look at the coolant level at normal operating temp. That should answer your question of why the coolant pushes out.