General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Fan Clutch Replacement Fun !

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2012, 10:25 AM
NOVICE car nut

Fan Clutch Replacement Fun !

OK , remember back when my 72 CS was making an awful noise , and I thought it was the water pump bearings , so I replaced that , and because it still made the awful noise , I thought it was the power steering pump ? Remember me buying a PS pump for a 72 CS when I have a 76 Olds motor in my car , and things would not line up right , and I had to get different belts and hoses ? I do , and I also remember how much fun ALL that was too . Well , it DID turn out to be the fan clutch after all ! I have to drive the old bomb for a few days until the weekend comes , so I can replace the radiator in the 93 Buick , and the 72 CS started making that awful noise again . This time it was quite loud ! Today I went to my moms and took the fan clutch off of the 68 455 that I have , and put it on the 72 CS . Pretty easy fix except for two things .... 1. The fan clutch on the 455 sticks out further , so I ended up having to remove the shround in order to put that one on after I removed the old one . 2 . Like a dummy I thought I would start the car after I had the old one off , JUST to make sure that was the problem , so I wouldn't waste anymore precious time . Well , the bolts that hold the fan clutch on also hold on the pulley , so the minute I started it , the pulley and belts flew off ! ... Am I a dumb f$$$ or what ! Nothing got damaged so it was just two more bolts in order to loosen the adjustment on the alt and PS pump to put belts back on . Then because of the added length of the fan clutch , it rubbed slightly on the shroud when I started the car and put it in reverse .... by the time I shut the motor off , it scraped away enough plastic material so it wouldn't rub anymore .... ALL FIXED ! LOL
Old November 29th, 2012, 02:54 PM

Hehe... It happens to all of us. I replaced my fan clutch a while back and after it was all assembled and I was putting the tools away, I saw the shroud leaning up against the bushes.
I knew it seemed much too easy to put back together! Out came the toolbox again......

Glad you found the fix at last.