General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Electronic ignition vs points

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2014, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Chris, you're a riot!
Starting: HEI vs. Points - No difference at all.
Idle: HEI vs. Points - Points actually runs smoother, and timing runs cooler.
Highway: HEI vs. Points - No difference at all, RPMs are relative to the gears used and transmission type/wear and I don't race the car.
Plug gaps: HEI vs. Points - still gapped at .040. Tried .050 and .060 but the car didn't like that.
Plug wires: Obviously had to change wires to accomodate HEI. Prefer Packard wires for original look.

So Allen From your quote here...... Where and what kind of points do You recommend? Best quality? Or How to set the cheap ones? You still use points right?

Last edited by MudEye; June 29th, 2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old June 29th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

You can run what ever you like makes me no difference.
But from my experience with points welding themselves together, weak spark, and small plug wires, I like to upgrade to HEI, because I like the increased spark plug gap, bigger wires, and no maintenance at all.
My cars have always ran smoother, revved quicker, and the exhaust spelled better because of the better burnt fuel.
But this is my experiences and our cars are two different cars and im sure I tune different than another person does, so just keep a spare $21 set of points and a dwell meter in the glove box and your set for the road.

Last edited by s i 442; June 29th, 2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old June 29th, 2014, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Standard motor products performance points Part # DR2371XP or DR2270XP. Carry a feeler gauge and set them to .016 which should get you close to a dwell of 30.

These are at Rockauto but you may find them at your local parts house:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...parttype,11337

You need a tool similar to this for adjusting the points
Old June 29th, 2014, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by s i 442
But from my experience with points welding themselves together, weak spark, and small plug wires, I like to upgrade to HEI, because I like the increased spark plug gap, bigger wires, and no maintenance at all.
My cars have always ran smoother, revved quicker, and the exhaust spelled better because of the better burnt fuel.
But this is my experiences and our cars are two different cars and im sure I tune different than another person does,
I have no idea how much experience you have with points, but I ran points for over a decade in a hot street application and didn't have any of the issues you mentioned. Sounds like someone left the ignition on for an extended time without the engine running if the points welded together. HEI won't do that exact same thing, but the module will heat up and could eventually fail if the ignition is left on long enough. Weak spark sounds more like a problem with the coil or voltage feed and not the points themselves.

I don't know why you keep on about "bigger wires" as if that somehow makes them conduct electricity better. The HEI uses thicker insulation but the center conductor is a resistance wire, exactly the same as the thinner points wires, and therefore both restrict current flow compared to a non-resistor wire. It doesn't matter how thick the insulation is since it is just that, insulation around the conductive core. Its purpose is to prevent arcing, not conduct electricity better.

Last edited by Fun71; June 29th, 2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old June 29th, 2014, 09:33 PM

Wider gaps on your plugs aren't doing you a bit of good but they are playing havoc with your secondary ignition.
Old June 29th, 2014, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Thats great!

I like my Petronics......I also have a stock points setup in the trunk.

Bill
Old June 30th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

My reply was not open to debate, move along.
Old June 30th, 2014, 09:26 AM

It's a forum. Everything you say is open to debate.

Forum - a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged
Old June 30th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
Everything you say is open to debate.
No, he's right. There is no debating that his posts are ill-informed...
Old June 30th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fun71

I don't know why you keep on about "bigger wires" as if that somehow makes them conduct electricity better. The HEI uses thicker insulation but the center conductor is a resistance wire, exactly the same as the thinner points wires, and therefore both restrict current flow compared to a non-resistor wire. It doesn't matter how thick the insulation is since it is just that, insulation around the conductive core. Its purpose is to prevent arcing, not conduct electricity better.
If a wire is arcing and you insulate it better so it doesn't then wouldn't be more spark to the plug?
Wires do make a difference, I remember opening the hood in the dark and seeing those junk 7mm arcing everywhere after I added a Accel super coil to a points system
Old June 30th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

If a wire is arcing and you insulate it better so it doesn't then wouldn't be more spark to the plug?
If the wire is arcing at all, you're screwed. I've seen all sizes of wires arc as they deteriorate. By the way. there is nothing preventing you from using 8mm or larger wires on a point-style distributor.
Old June 30th, 2014, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
No, he's right. There is no debating that his posts are ill-informed...
Pretty much this, along with a predisposition to getting butthurt.
Old June 30th, 2014, 12:09 PM

Wires do make a difference, I remember opening the hood in the dark and seeing those junk 7mm arcing everywhere after I added a Accel super coil to a points system
Yes, if you have worn out parts, which you obviously had if the wires were arcing, then installing new parts should make the engine run better. If you had installed new, quality 7mm wires at the time you installed the coil, then you wouldn't have seen any arcing. I ran an Accel Super Coil with 7mm wires on my points distributor for a decade without any issues.

It appears that you are comparing old, worn out, malfunctioning parts on your points system to new, properly functioning parts on an HEI system and concluding that HEI is better than points. I'm sure you can see the obvious problem with this "comparison".

I agree with you that if your entire ignition system is worn out to the point of needing to be repaired/replaced, then buying a new HEI, wires, etc may be a good choice. That does not mean that it will be better than a correctly functioning points system though.

Last edited by Fun71; June 30th, 2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old June 30th, 2014, 12:28 PM

All I'm gonna say on the topic is ... when your points are shot, you can see it at a glance. When the module goes ... swapping parts or testing everything except the module is the answer. I work with electronics all day ... I'm not a fan of black box systems.
Old June 30th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Beer Connoisseur

i wonder how far is this thread gonna make it, so far 3 pages of "HEI is better.......NO points are better".

This is sounds like my grandma's conversation with her friends.
Old June 30th, 2014, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by 70cutty
i wonder how far is this thread gonna make it, so far 3 pages of "HEI is better.......NO points are better".

This is sounds like my grandma's conversation with her friends.

Your Granny and her friends have arguments over HEI/points? That is so totally cool.
Old June 30th, 2014, 01:12 PM
morgan

Magneto anyone?

Originally Posted by Professur
Your Granny and her friends have arguments over HEI/points? That is so totally cool.
Agreed!

What does Granny drive?

Originally Posted by pogo69
Magneto anyone?
I wasn't gonna get to that until Page 5.
Old June 30th, 2014, 01:21 PM

Well, they say never discuss religion or politics with friends.....guess I will have to add Points vs. HEI to that list!

Bill
Old June 30th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

Magneto anyone?
A magneto still uses points. The only difference is that the mag generates it's own current and doesn't require external power. You still need to open the points to collapse the electric field in the transformer and generate the high voltage.
Old June 30th, 2014, 02:23 PM

"Had to go the Rolls Royce agency. Had to steal a spare magneto!"

Old June 30th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Agreed!

What does Granny drive?
My grandma said HEI gave her car 75hp over points. She also said magneto sucks.
Old June 30th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

Im pretty sure if laying on a table for sale, a brand new points set up, wires and coil, for $150, or a brand new HEI set up and wires for $75 most would pick the points set up because in their mind a two barrel will out perform a 4 barrel.
Old June 30th, 2014, 08:54 PM

Sorry to be so blunt, but that's a really idiotic thing to say and you know it. You're just being spiteful.

You seem to have an attitude that folks here are old fogies who care more about exact originality than any form of performance, and you are just the opposite, with performance taking high priority over originality. I run into the same thing here in the Phoenix area with what I consider very wealthy folks who recently bought a classic as a "hobby" to hang out at car shows and don't do any of their own work and care nothing about performance. I'm just the opposite, as I have been driving and hot rodding this car since folks were giving me crap about having an old car that was uncool and saying I needed to buy a new car. I have learned that it is possible to have both performance and originality - at least in outward appearances.

Remember that the "real" performance cars like the W-30s and W-31s (and other manufacturers muscle cars) that had high compression and turned high RPM used old school points and skinny wires and it didn't detract from their performance potential.

I have a couple suggestions for you to help upgrade your ignition system for better performance (yes, the stock HEI can be improved upon), if you don't take offense and you're willing to listen after what I posted above.

Last edited by Fun71; June 30th, 2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old June 30th, 2014, 09:25 PM

Bad analogy 101
Old July 1st, 2014, 12:04 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Magneto anyone?

Hey!, you forgot hot tube .

Roger.
Old July 1st, 2014, 09:25 AM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

I have a couple suggestions for you to help upgrade your ignition system for better performance (yes, the stock HEI can be improved upon), if you don't take offense and you're willing to listen after what I posted above.
No thanks, that would be a "catch 22" because no matter what part I said I bought it would be wrong to prove your point, ain't playing that game, my cars run fine and have for over 30 years, I don't need any help unless I ask for it.
Old July 1st, 2014, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
Wider gaps on your plugs aren't doing you a bit of good but they are playing havoc with your secondary ignition.
I was of the impression that a wider gap makes for a larger spark and a more complete combustion?

Reminds me that I promised to test my .080" versus points-style .035" plugs. I'll get around to that. >.>
Old July 1st, 2014, 11:02 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MudEye
Where and what kind of points do You recommend? Best quality? Or How to set the cheap ones?
You can buy AC Delco points and condenser, cap, rotor etc. at Rockauto.com for very little cost. They also have a 'bundle' with everything for a tune up. I wouldn't buy the "OEM NOS" stuff going on the web for big $$ when other replacement parts will do just as well.

You could also use O'Reilly or Autozone. The parts aren't expensive.

Pick whatever wires you need/want. Before you do that though run them through a resistance check to see if they need replacing. If they're good, no need to spend money unnecessarily. Don't forget to test the coil wire too. Check inside the spark plug boots on both ends to see if they have any evidence of corrosion or arcing. Arcing will mean the connector in the boot was too loose (can be corrected with needle nose pliers) on the spark plug tip, corrosion is self explanatory. Either one will affect the way voltage is sent to the plugs.
Old July 1st, 2014, 01:49 PM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by Seff
I was of the impression that a wider gap makes for a larger spark and a more complete combustion?

Reminds me that I promised to test my .080" versus points-style .035" plugs. I'll get around to that. >.>

That isn't completely accurate. A larger gap will require a higher voltage to make a spark jump the gap, but all else being equal the spark duration will be shorter. If the gap is too big the spark might not be able to make the jump, resulting in totally incomplete combustion. A higher powered coil will address this.
Many modern ultra clean burning engines have plug voltage that old fashioned points couldn't live with, some sophisticated designs have coils individually mounted onto each plug, the wattage (amps x volts = watts) would probably kill someone with a weak heart.

Roger.
Old July 1st, 2014, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by NGK Spark Plugs
Since the gap size has a direct affect on the spark plug's tip temperature
and on the voltage necessary to ionize (light) the air/fuel mixture, careful attention is required. While it is a popular misconception that plugs are pre-gapped from the factory, the fact remains that the gap must be adjusted for the vehicle that the spark plug is intended for. Those with modified engines must remember that a modified engine with higher compression or forced induction will typically require a smaller gap settings (to ensure ignitability
in these denser air/fuel mixtures). As a rule, the more power you are making, the smaller the gap you will need.

A spark plug's voltage requirement is directly proportionate to the gap size. The larger the gap, the more voltage is needed to bridge the gap. Most experienced tuners know that opening gaps up to present a larger spark to the air/fuel mixture maximizes burn efficiency. It is for this reason that most racers add high power ignition systems. The added power allows them to open the gap yet still provide a strong spark.

With this mind, many think the larger the gap the better. In fact, some aftermarket ignition systems boast that their systems can tolerate gaps that are extreme. Be wary of such claims. In most cases, the largest gap you can run may still be smaller than you think.
For what it's worth, NGK supports what both of us said.
Old July 1st, 2014, 04:08 PM

Good grief can't believe you guys are still beating this poor old dead horse. If you are a contortionist and want to deal with your points every few hundred miles go ahead. Me I'll check my timing at oil changes and be happy and keep an extra module in my tool box.
Old July 1st, 2014, 04:13 PM

No thanks, that would be a "catch 22" because no matter what part I said I bought it would be wrong to prove your point
You must have me confused with someone else. I have no intention of proving any point or telling you that you bought the wrong parts; I was merely offering to share what I have learned about modifying HEI distributors for increased performance.
Old July 1st, 2014, 06:54 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If guys want to run points and are happy with them, I think that is great. I really do. I have had the HEI in my 72 Cutlass for 21 years. I bought it out of a junk yard and put a new cap and new wires when I put it in the car. It has not been touched since. I have a Pertronix I put in my boat 16 years ago with a 50,000 volt coil and 8MM wires. It has not been touched. Now that I have said that, they probably won't start tomorrow. I don't think there is any noticeable difference in the performance of them. I just don't understand why this has to turn into such a pissing contest for some people. I do think there may be a person or two on this thread that are alway looking for a pissing contest.
Old July 1st, 2014, 07:42 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by jag1886
If you are a contortionist and want to deal with your points every few hundred miles go ahead.
The factory recommends checking and setting points every 12,000 miles or one year.
Nothing wrong with slapping on a dwell meter at a lower mileage, just to be sure, but about once a year sure sounds about right to me.

Don't exaggerate or provide inaccurate information. There are people reading this who don't know what the facts are and are using this information to learn from.

You must have me confused with someone else. I have no intention of proving any point or telling you that you bought the wrong parts; I was merely offering to share what I have learned about modifying HEI distributors for increased performance.
There are two different threads happening here.

One involves reasonable people sharing their experiences so that they and others can make informed decisions about how to set up their cars.
The other involves reasonable people trying to correct inaccurate information posted by one troll.
Normally, one would ignore the troll, but we try to keep it accurate here, so we need to correct blatant errors or misrepresentations.

For whatever it's worth, last week, I replaced the Crane electronic pickup that came with my current engine with a set of points and condenser that had also come with it in a ZipLock bag. I was getting a few odd misses, and it was throwing my tune-up tach off above 3,000 RPM. Running great, no problems, no worse than before (and no better either - Surprise!).

- Eric
Old July 1st, 2014, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by MudEye
Was told that I could buy a modern day distributor to fit my 67 supreme without the conversion kit. Anyone know of this?
[QUOTE=MudEye;710997]
What's wrong with the points distributor? If your engine is stock changing the distributor isn't going to do anything. Just keep it adjusted properly and you'll save some $$.

Yes I was curious because this individual mentioned easier crank starts and smoother highway driving at higher rpm's and was wondering if anyone else noticed any marked performance. And the maintenance factor seems more appealing.
[QUOTE=MudEye;715853]
Ok, I'm going back to the start of this thread. I'd be curious to know how the discussion is affecting your thoughts relative to your car.

Yes Allen haven't logged in for awhile. Spent the last 3 weeks ( spare time from work ) replacing the whole front end on my 67 ( front end kit ).

Has been enlightening. Car runs and idles fine but skips a bit. Have never adjusted the points ( 3 years ) Always looking for better performance and that's why I opened the discussion. Since no giant leap of performance is to be gained on my stock engine,I'll stick with points for now. Quality points seems to be the next move then. Someone here said it's the way you adjust the cheap points while another said to buy only quality points.

Starting: HEI vs. Points - No difference at all.
Idle: HEI vs. Points - Points actually runs smoother, and timing runs cooler.
Highway: HEI vs. Points - No difference at all, RPMs are relative to the gears used and transmission type/wear and I don't race the car.
Plug gaps: HEI vs. Points - still gapped at .040. Tried .050 and .060 but the car didn't like that.
Plug wires: Obviously had to change wires to accomodate HEI. Prefer Packard wires for original look.
These were the OP's questions, before the hijacking.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 05:02 AM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

Here is step by step instructions:
1, take out old 45 year old point distributor, break in half throw away so someone else doesn't confuse it with something useable.
2, install new $60 Ebay HEI distributor, hook up switched power wire, new 8MM wires, start car drive away from trash can with old 45 year old broke in half distributor.
3, Go to Olds forum and discuss for over 3 pages on how your car runs better with HEI than points and set back and read other responses that tell you it doesn't.
4, Decide to change back to AM radio and bias ply tires because they are better also.
Moral to the story is, cheese is mold but don't eat mold but do eat cheese.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 05:38 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Ignore list.

First person I ever put on there.

Hope you never need any help.

- Eric
Old July 2nd, 2014, 05:54 AM
morgan

Originally Posted by jaunty75
"Had to go the Rolls Royce agency. Had to steal a spare magneto!"

The Great Race - Push the Button Max - YouTube

that was funny!