General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

drivers door wont open

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2010, 01:30 PM

drivers door wont open

i cant get the drivers door open on a2 door olds cutlass 1969 niether door handle works any suggestion
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:33 PM

Do you mean the inside and the outside handle won't open it?
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:54 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I've had plenty of doors act up but never had one where both inside and outside handles stopped working...total bummer.
You need to get the door panel off to see whats going on in there.But without being able to open the door,don't know if you'll be able to remove the door panel.
Old April 17th, 2010, 07:06 AM

Most likely something is stuck due to lack of lubrication or a rusted joint.
The door panel may be hard to remove with the door closed, but hopefully you can fiddle with the lock and both handles just right to get it to open once so you can get it apart. Factory grease would now be as hard as glue.
Old April 17th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

This is a tough one. I think Rob is right in that it is probably a rusted latch. I would try giving the inside handle a few really hard jerks to free it. If you pull the door panel, you will probably have to pull the seat to get it out. As long as you have the seat out you might as well (I am not going there since that is a common thing on this sight). If you get the door panel off, try and spray the latch with PB Blaster to free it up. Good luck and let us know how you come out.
Old April 17th, 2010, 09:45 AM

Are the locking movements complete and easy to make (key and button)? If the car has power door locks, the rubber solenoid boot might be rotted, allowing water to get in it and rust it. If it rusts in the lock position, then the door will not unlock.
Old April 17th, 2010, 04:22 PM

The drivers side door on my car didn't open for a couple of years so I would get in through the passenger side. I was at a body shop for some other reason and I happened to mention to the body shop owner that my door wouldn't open. Without saying anything he walked over to the car and hit the door right below the handle and then opened the door.
When I got home I removed the door panel and found that there was a broken spring inside the door latch and this would not allow the latch to return. I replaced the spring and the problem was solved.
Old April 17th, 2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by marinus_
The drivers side door on my car didn't open for a couple of years so I would get in through the passenger side. I was at a body shop for some other reason and I happened to mention to the body shop owner that my door wouldn't open. Without saying anything he walked over to the car and hit the door right below the handle and then opened the door.
When I got home I removed the door panel and found that there was a broken spring inside the door latch and this would not allow the latch to return. I replaced the spring and the problem was solved.
I was wondering where Fonzy was working these days.

I'll have to try this on my passengers side door, thanks.
Old April 17th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Registered Abuser

Bfh
Old April 17th, 2010, 08:32 PM

thanks for the help had to remove seat to remove the door panel sprayed brakleen and wd40 to remove rust and grime. still had to firmly kick door next to the door latch while someone pulled up on the door from the outside. got it opened and had to replace latch bolt and readjust door thanks again for all the helpful suggestions.
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Glad you got it open. That is one of those things with an old car that is no fun and is just a PITA. Send pictures of your car when you have a chance. Everybody here likes pictures.