General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Do you still go to Drive In Movie Theaters ?

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2011, 10:04 PM
Banned

Do you still go to Drive In Movie Theaters ?

I was just wondering if anyone still goes to Drive-In Movie Theaters anymore and if so, do you go in your pride and joy Oldsmobile ?

I can remember when going to a Drive-In Movie Theater on Fri or Saturday night was almost like going to a car show.

Here in Orlando, there are no more Drive-In Movie Theaters left, I would have to travel almost 100 miles north or west to the nearest one.

Help save a piece of America History and talk to your friends and car club members and plan a cruise to a near by Drive-In Movie Theater once or twice a year.
Old July 21st, 2011, 10:23 PM

I haven't been in a few years, but there is a well maintained drive-in near St. Louis on the Illinois side. Here's a link to their website: http://www.skyview-drive-in.com/

Once the temperature becomes pleasant I'll take one of my convertibles for a double feature.
Old July 21st, 2011, 10:24 PM

I used to go to one in my 92 Cougar. It was like $6 a person ( full price back then) but it was always a double feature. I would like to take my son to one in the future when I get a truck. Have an air mattress in the bed and let him chill and watch the movie and I'll sit in a beach chair next to the tailgate
Old July 21st, 2011, 11:59 PM

There's still one about 15 min. from me In Warren, ohio. Hope to go this summer with the ol' lady in the blue beast !
Old July 22nd, 2011, 12:19 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I haven't found a drive-in in the USA yet, I went to one in Pannawonnica in Western Australia in 2008.
No wonder there was a baby boom during the heyday of the drive in theaters, I don't think anyone watched the movie, nearly all the cars had fogged up windows anyway.
Roger.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 02:12 AM

here in indiana i went to a couple till we went to daylight saving time. now if i go we don't get home till around 1:00 in the morning. if we stay for both movies it is 3:00 AM when we get home.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Well we just happen to have one right here in Granbury, Texas - jsut a 45 min drive south of Fort Worth!!!! It's one of the few remaining drive-ins left in the US of A.

And yes, the Olds goes!
Old July 22nd, 2011, 07:32 AM

Yes, I still go to them. Just saw Cars 2 and the Green Lantern a few weeks ago.
Took my 3 year old who sat on the roof of my GMC Envoy with my wife.
We only have one outside of Chicago in the NW Suburbs left that I know of.

No, however, I do not bring my Oldsmobile.
It's a Gutless Cutlass at the moment awaiting it's new drivetrain.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 07:40 AM

Havent had the chance to do it in the cutty but i will. we have one in garrett Indiana ,about 15 miles from me and its 6 bucks a piece (double features too) kids like 6 and under are free.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 07:56 AM
71 cutlass convertible

I haven't been to one for a long while. They have all closed up around me. There maybe 1 left about an hour or so from me.

A number of years ago a local radio station ran a contest. You won if you could prove that you were conceived at one.

Larry
Old July 22nd, 2011, 09:09 AM

Thumbs up

There is a drive in nearby that opened in 1955...it is still open....

I went there is the late '50s as a kid, in the early '70s with dates, and took my kids there in the early '90s.

Lots of good memories.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 09:18 AM

Not since the death of the Clermont Deluxe across from Raceway Park ~ 5 years ago....

The bottom sign refers to a motorsports business park the was supposed to be built on the site (by Bill Simpson of Impact), but never was. Its just a huge empty lot now...

Last edited by Indy_68_S; July 22nd, 2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 09:44 AM
Registered car nut

Just went with my son. Feel bad it was his 1st and he is 14 now.
Here is a link that might be helpful. Valley 6 is the one near me.

http://www.drive-ins.com/theater/watvall
Old July 22nd, 2011, 09:51 AM

There is one in Sparks, Nv. Everytime I go visit my sister we go there. I have driven my olds to it many, many times when I lived in Reno. I started driving it there in 1981 when I turned 16 until 1992 when we got hit by another driver. I then started driving my 59 Olds to the drive in until 2005. I have some great memories of that place.

They were going to shut it down in the late 90s so they took out all the speakers. It closed for one year I think and peopls would show up at the flea market they would hold and complain until the owner finally opened it back up. They painted the screens and put in radio transmitters. When you purchase the ticket for the movie, they tell you what radio station to listen too.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:45 AM

There are two that I go to in west chicago http://cascadedrivein.com/

but I don't bring my olds...my windscreen has that annoying divider down the middle that would drive me nuts
Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:52 AM
Grown Azz Kid

I go, sometime in the Olds or the other cars. Have not been this year

Nonhog, did you take the Olds? I was thinking of taking mine there this weekend
Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:06 AM

only in someone's trunk.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:13 AM

Sure do miss them. I think the invention of the bucket seat and small cars with limited back seat space was their downfall
Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:19 AM
Cutlass Lover

We still have one here, between Kent and Ravenna. Midway drive in. They made it a double one a few years ago. I haven't been there in years, lol! Guess they were kinda like going to a car show back in the day. Saw all sorts of cars. Now I know I'd never be able to find my way back from the bathroom, since all the cars look the same, lol!!!
Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:56 AM
Certifiable car addict...

This one is less than 10 minutes from my house and in continuous operation for over 60 years now.

http://www.holidayautotheatre.com/

I go every chance I can! A few years back, we borrowed an old buddies 69 Chevelle 396 4-speed convertable and had some fun. That car got more attention than the movies did by some of the patrons. All original and unrestored survivor car.

Lots of fogged windows there every time I go as well, but that's more spring/fall. In the heat we're seeing the last couple weeks, it's too dang hot to turn a car into a sauna for long.

-Jeff
Old July 22nd, 2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by nonhog
Just went with my son. Feel bad it was his 1st and he is 14 now.
Here is a link that might be helpful. Valley 6 is the one near me.

http://www.drive-ins.com/theater/watvall
I just searched my zip within 50 miles and the closest is 49 miles from me.

I searched "all" and there are ones listed that I NEVER knew existed and not even there now. And I've lived here all my life, 34 years
Old July 22nd, 2011, 12:55 PM
Registered car nut

Originally Posted by Olds luvr
Nonhog, did you take the Olds? I was thinking of taking mine there this weekend
The Olds is still a daytime driver until I get the lights all working.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:05 PM
Ben

i was really bummed when they closed the local one up here the year before last.

I went quite a few times in my big old 68 delmont 88 convertible. Nothing quite like that.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:16 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Yea Ben I heard about that. Drive down to Auburn.

Nonhog... get the lights fixed
Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:43 PM
Banned

I have to admit, I haven't taken my Oldsmobile out to the Drive In Movies for over a year now.

I use to live in South Fla during 1989-92 and would go to the Thunderbird Drive In in Fort Laurdale which is the only Drive In still open in south Florida.

There are only 6 Drive In's still open in the whole state of Florida when there use to be hundreds. During the 70s down here they would have midnight movies and show like Beatle Movies, I saw the Magical Mystery Tour back in 1974ish I think, the air was thick with smoke that kind of smelled like burning rope. They use to sell alot more concession food back then.

I saw the Star Wars Movie at a Drive In here in Orlando in 1978. I saw so many classic movies at the drive in when they first came out, it's just not the same watching them on my 82" inch TV.

I think it would be neat if car clubs would put together a car meet at a Drive In Movie Theater once in awhile because most car shows break up too early for my taste and you could drink a beer or two while BSing with people and looking around at cars and even catch a movie all under the stars in clean fresh air which sure beats the heck out of a parking lot.

Last edited by SBORule; July 22nd, 2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 10:53 AM

Well, in NJ I think we have one left. But, actually that is a great idea.....it never crossed my mind. Top down at the movies on a nice summer night. A great way to show off my babe............and the car too!
Old July 23rd, 2011, 11:42 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Here's the closest one to me 113 miles..... http://www.starlightdrivein.com
Old July 24th, 2011, 09:28 AM
SMR TOI & HYE NRG

we are SOO lucky, there are a couple Drive-INN theatres nearby. The North York Drive Inn is just north of Newmarket. They host a Cruise In night, each September, where the "old cars" take over screen one. it's fun!
The Barrie & Midland drive inns are still active & it's a hobby of ours,when we drive our OLDs around the province, to make a point of stopping, even in broad daylight, and take photos of the drive inns, and our cars at the screens, or at least at the front gates!
I heard on a recent radio programme that there are 26 active drive inns in Ontario, Canada. I have not found them all, just yet.
Old July 24th, 2011, 10:52 AM

The Lake Worth, FL Drive-In near me is still open and then the Swap Shop in Ft. Lauderdale is the next closest one. I have not been to one in probably 18 years. I saw Stars Wars for the first time in California as a kid at one, I think we went in a Vega.
I plan to take my two boy's and the wife as soon as my car is back on the road to the one in Ft Lauderdale.
I think the ones near me only show new movies it would be great to show some classic movies.
Old July 25th, 2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Muskrat
we are SOO lucky, there are a couple Drive-INN theatres nearby. The North York Drive Inn is just north of Newmarket. They host a Cruise In night, each September, where the "old cars" take over screen one. it's fun!
The Barrie & Midland drive inns are still active & it's a hobby of ours,when we drive our OLDs around the province, to make a point of stopping, even in broad daylight, and take photos of the drive inns, and our cars at the screens, or at least at the front gates!
I heard on a recent radio programme that there are 26 active drive inns in Ontario, Canada. I have not found them all, just yet.
You beat me to it! We visit the North York one several times a year with the kids. Best value around and they get the latest movies.. Love the once a year "car show" on Screen 1. Makes me realize how much I miss rear defrost when it's time to leave :-)
Old July 25th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Certifiable car addict...

[QUOTE=501Paratrooper;304071]
I saw Stars Wars for the first time in California as a kid at one, I think we went in a Vega.
[QUOTE]

Saw Star Wars in Dad's '72 super beetle at the Captain Kidd drive-in in Kettering, Ohio back when it first came out.

I think we took one of the neighbor kids with us, but not my little brother. He was a bit too young to be out that late still.

GREAT memories!

-Jeff
Old July 29th, 2011, 05:13 PM

I have been a couple of times. I went a few times with friends in highschool and also once a couple of years ago to a classic car night at one of the drive ins.
Old July 31st, 2011, 08:05 AM
Crazy Canuck

I might be the oddball. I have 2 drive-ins within 20 minutes from me. One has 3 screens and the other has 1.

http://www.sunsetbarrie.com/
http://www.elmvaledriveintheatre.com/

We go to the triple drive in several times during the summer. Went to see Harry Potter with my sons this week (8 and 13 yr.old). Never taken the Olds though.

Cheers,
Wayne
Old July 31st, 2011, 11:49 AM
Land Yacht Captain

My family goes all the time. We have 2 drive-ins withing 30 minutes of us.
Old August 1st, 2011, 08:35 PM
Banned

Good to see there are still people who enjoy going to a Drive In Movie Theater.

Originally Posted by Muskrat
The North York Drive Inn is just north of Newmarket. They host a Cruise In night, each September, where the "old cars" take over screen one. it's fun! it's a hobby of ours,when we drive our OLDs around the province, to make a point of stopping, even in broad daylight, and take photos of the drive inns, and our cars at the screens, or at least at the front gates!
Now that sounds cool, maybe you could take some pictures or video next time you go and share it with us ClassicOldsmobile members. Next time I go to the Drive In I will take a few pictures and or video.

Originally Posted by 501Paratrooper
The Lake Worth, FL Drive-In near me is still open.
I heard they closed. I have never been to that Drive-In Theater before but from a few pictures I saw of it online, it looks like an exact twin of a Drive In Theater I went to as a kid called the Gold Coast Drive In Theater that use to be located in Deerfield, FL. Oh the memories.