General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

cutlass vs skylark

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2013, 12:20 PM

cutlass vs skylark

I was wondering if a 72 buick skylark rear window molding will fit a 72 cutlass? They look similar to me. Also what about the rocker panel molding too? I know the steering column will work for sure. Your knowledge is very much appreciated.
Old February 1st, 2013, 06:50 PM

Hi. Cutlass S back glass mldg is Olds only. Cutlass Supreme is the same as Monte Carlo. Rocker mldgs would fit but are different. ~BOB
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 72cutlassdog
I was wondering if a 72 buick skylark rear window molding will fit a 72 cutlass? They look similar to me. Also what about the rocker panel molding too? I know the steering column will work for sure. Your knowledge is very much appreciated.
Bob is right. Buick Skylark has a completely different reveal than a 72 Cutlass Supreme. Note the Buicks rounded lower edges compared to the squared off lower edge of the CS. Not even close.
Compare:

re: rocker stainless - not chrome.
Buick rocker chrome is 78" long and 2 inches tall. Olds is 79" long and 3" tall. So, no. They aren't interchangeable. Remember also that the Olds rocker stainless is even with the sill plate opening and wraps under the rocker where it's held in place by about 10 screws. Lots of features on 'similar' looking A bodies have enough 'dissimilarity' that they are brand specific. This is one of those cases.

Steering columns from 69-72 Skylark, Chevelle (malibu), GTO, Tempest, T37 and Cutlass are all interchangeable.
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:00 PM

Thanks Allan for your input. Carshinebob mentioned that 72 monte carlo is the same as a 72 cutlass supreme?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
72 monte carlo.jpg (56.6 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by 72cutlassdog; February 8th, 2013 at 07:48 AM. Reason: adding picture
Old February 8th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 72cutlassdog
Thanks Allan for your input. Carshinebob mentioned that 72 monte carlo is the same as a 72 cutlass supreme?
No, the rear window reveal moldings are not the same from MC to CS. The MC and Skylark may be compatible with each other though just based on the appearance of the moldings. Again, look at the bottom corners of the moldings. I don't know how carshinebob could draw the conclusion the MC and CS are the same when you compare them back to back.

Now if you had a 70-72 Cutlass Town Sedan or CS Holiday Sedan, the rear window trim may be compatible since 4 doors used a completely different rear glass and trim
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:44 PM

Hi again.
The back glass from a 70-72 Monte is interchangable with a Cutlass Supreme. So I would think the mldgs. are the same. however maybe not. Chevelle back glass is the same as the skylark. ~BOB
Old February 8th, 2013, 04:10 PM

Carshinebob
....................you're a genious!!
How do you know that...............from a book? Experience? Inquiring minds want to know
Thanks
joepenoso
Old February 8th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Carshinebob
Hi again.
The back glass from a 70-72 Monte is interchangable with a Cutlass Supreme. So I would think the mldgs. are the same. however maybe not. Chevelle back glass is the same as the skylark. ~BOB
Really? I checked several glass vendors and they say no. But they do say there's compatibility with some of the side glass. Front glass with antenna is totally compatible though.

Just to re-direct everyone's thinking here; the OP was asking if the MOLDINGS are the same, NOT the glass. And from what I've been able to gather, neither the rear glass or molding trim from 70-72 Monte Carlo, Skylark or Chevelle 70-72 is compatible with CS 2 door coupe .
Old February 8th, 2013, 05:22 PM

Hi
Well darn! I must have put the wrong back glass in someone's cutlass Supreme. Sure seemed to fit good. ~BOB
Old February 10th, 2013, 02:11 PM

Hi OK, I checked my memory against my records and some twenty-five years ago I had a Monte parts car. Somehow I thought the back glass was the same. It's not. So Never Mind. ~BOB