General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Custom Cruiser...what should I offer?

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2013, 06:25 PM

Custom Cruiser...what should I offer?

So, a few months ago I bought an '81 Delta 88 coupe, 75k miles, SOLID body, old faded paint but generally in good shape. I bought it mostly out of impatience in finding a similar generation CC. Fast forward until this week. Someone wants to buy the Delta for a bit more than I paid, and I came across a legit barn-find one owner CC, with every receipt since day one. Issue number one is the barn had a leak, and in the 3 years it's been in there some rust has accumulated around the left rear quarter window and fender. No rot, but looks bad so the whole car above the wood grain would need paint (no need to be show quality but decent looking). The wood grain vinyl itself I'd eventually want replaced as it is dried, faded and peeling but looks decent enough. Interior is IMMACULATE, and mechanically it's sound. Here is where I need advice. Owner wants $2800. In my mind, it's not worth that, and I'm thinking about 1/2 that, considering how the body has suffered since being stored. I want the car, the guy is super nice (it was his dad's baby) and I'd slowly but surely bring the exterior back to life. What do guys think it might be worth? How much you think to repair rust and remain upper body?
Old April 18th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Maybe an oversight on your part, but what are we supposed to assume by your description? The only thing you've alluded to is some rust and possible paint.

1. If someone wants your Delta and is willing to pay more than you did? IMO that's a done deal.

2. What year is the CC? What options? Mileage, maintenance needs etc? There's nothing in your post about any of that; hence my original comment. Some pics of the car would also be helpful. For all we know this could be a first gen (1971 - 1976) CC or any of the second generation model years (1977-1990) CC??
Old April 18th, 2013, 06:57 PM

Sorry about that! It's a 1986 Custom Cruiser, 2-seat, pretty fully equipped (seems the older man special ordered it). Mechanically it's sound, about 100k, according to all the old receipts I scoured the engine was rebuilt professionally. It's at a shop now being given the once-over. The ac wasn't working and it needs a brake line replaced, so the current owner is taking care of the line regardless. I have a few pics here on my iPad that I can't seem to upload, but like I said only rust worth noting is in the left quarter around window. Seems very well maintained, just has driven very little in at least 3 years, and the guy says he's driven it only about 500 miles since inheriting it from his dad in 2004.
Old April 18th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Make him an offer, whats the worst he can say.
Old April 19th, 2013, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mtorrisi
the guy says he's driven it only about 500 miles since inheriting it from his dad in 2004.
It's his dad's baby, right? He has no money in the car, and he thinks it's worth $2.5K which is how he got to $2.8K. The real problem is he associates the car with his deceased father.

Tell him about your plans for the car, that you want to restore it to it's original glory to honor those who saw the beauty and value of these old wagons. (It's not a lie - I'm sure you'd "want" to do that anyway, right?) Tell him you wish his dad was here so he could send pictures of it once it's rebuilt. Build him up on the idea that you intend to make the car pristine and keep it forever once you rescue it from the leaky barn. Point out the issues and think out loud how much it will cost to get it into shape. Then lowball him.

Keep us posted.
Old April 19th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Just an Olds Guy

The good and bad? It's not a highly desired collector car and even with a rebuilt 307 it's basically a nice grocery getter. I'd stick with your original thought of around 1500. The pricing, as mentioned can get out of hand based on sentiment and 'desire' on both of your parts. Stay objective and keep focused on the fact that it's just a used car that needs work. The $ the guy is putting into the brake line is a safety issue and the cost of that repair doesn't increase the car's value. It might be a legal requirement of car sales in your state to sell it road safe? Anyway, it's just a convenience that you won't have to fix yourself.
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Be prepared to walk away. Leave the guy your name and number. If he doesn't get his price, he will probably call. Be willing to go up maybe $100 if he calls. That way you gave him something.

Last edited by redoldsman; April 23rd, 2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old April 19th, 2013, 06:50 PM

Thanks...I really can't see that it's worth more than $1500 as it sits now.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:38 PM

Thumbs up

So, here is an update. The guy called me today. He just put $500 into the car for various repairs that it needs. He isn't negotiable about the $2800 it seems, in fact he told me that if he relists it he'll ask for $3500 or 4k. I've attached some pics...I love the car and it has potential, and I don't want to be crazy passing it up, so if you guys think it's worth $2800 tell me! These pics are about 4 years old, pre-rust damage around the rear quarter.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:45 PM

I actually have the photos in a zip file and can't seem to attach!
Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Go over with $100 bills and lay your $1800 on the hood. The ball then will be in his court. When your standing there face to face, he may cave. If not lay 1 or 2 more on there, if he does not change his mind, then you have a choice whether to wallk or pay more. It is always better to negotiate in person letting him know your willing to take it off his hands. I don't think people will be lining up to buy this car.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 04:03 PM

Thanks...and I agree....I just don't even think I can justify paying $2000 for it, though that would be the ABSOLUTE highest I would go. I like the wagons, and had 2 mid-90's Roadmasters with LT1's in good shape with no rust that I paid $1475 and $2500 for. I wish all these wagons weren't so "rare"...they are cool but not quite the "collector's items" that people think they are.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 04:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Rockhead261
It's his dad's baby, right? He has no money in the car
So he has a grand total of 500 in the car now.

He just put $500 into the car for various repairs that it needs. He isn't negotiable about the $2800 it seems, in fact he told me that if he relists it he'll ask for $3500 or 4k.
Like I said earlier, putting $$ into the car doesn't increase it's value by that much. He has a car he inherited. Cost him zero and he doesn't even use it. Puts in 500 because he figures that will help it sell? Still only worth 1500-1800 tops. He sounds like a person you don't want to deal with - likely a bean counter who doesn't understand the relationship of car maintenance expenses. The car is a chattel, not an investment. Barn finds seem to be popping up all over the place especially as us baby boomers start checking out the other side of the turf. This car is NOT worth you getting emotionally attached to and financially burdened with.

I actually have the photos in a zip file and can't seem to attach!
You have to upload individual pics on this site. Either that or link to your album on your host server.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 04:32 PM
Administrator

The key phrase is... "The guy called me today and..." What Allan and I are telling you is you are the only fish in his sea at the moment. Tell him what you told us and thats your number. Tell him you understand about his thoughts and feelings, and that if he changes his mind to call you. Leave it at that.

When I bought my car the lady wanted $10k for it. I told her that I would purchase it for $5000 and to take her time and try and sell it for more. She called me a 2 weeks later and said come get it. $11000 later ... well that's another story.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 04:46 PM

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. I'm usually pretty reasonable and level headed...well, except about cars. It's makes it hard because he was a nice guy, took it to the shop to have it looked over, and I even slipped him a $100 bill to show I was interested, totally assuming he'd flex on price. Oh well, what can ya do I guess? I just can't see it being worth what he's asking, despite the repairs, good mechanical condition and excellent interior. It's needs the a/c charged if not converted, the paint has seen better days and the wood grain is weathered, and though it's solid underneath, it's not shiny new. I'd really like to have her to slowly bring back to really nice shape, but reality I suppose is what it is. I don't want to insult the guy and offer him $1500,but I might. I really want to gently tell him that whoever said it was worth $5k-6k a few years ago with 108k miles was very mistaken.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Allan and I are nice guys...you can slip us $100 if you like!
Old April 23rd, 2013, 05:08 PM

Haha! If you find me a good wagon that's reasonably priced I will! Consider it a finders fee!
Old April 23rd, 2013, 09:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

...........I even slipped him a $100 bill to show I was interested, totally assuming he'd flex on price..........
Money you should definitely ask him to return if he's not willing to sell at YOUR price..but since you slipped it without a note on his part acknowledging it, that's not likely going to happen unless he has a shred of decency.

Like Eric said, if you're handing out Franklins though, count us in.
Old April 24th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If he gets his price, he found the greater fool. As I said before, leave you name and number and price. If he doesn't find that greater fool after some time, he may call. Maybe he will just decide to drive the car if he can't get his price. Walk away and forget this one. Maybe you will be surpised. Time to move on.
Old April 24th, 2013, 03:58 PM

Yes, so he called and left me several messages while I was at work. He thought it'd be easier on me if I paid the garage $650 for the work that was done then the balance of $2200 to him. He's tried! I know he'd like me to buy, but not at $2800. I'd pay him that if I thought it was worth it. Needless to say I left him a no thank you message on his machine. I'm bummed. I guess back to scouring Craigslist and the web.
Old April 24th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Yes, so he called and left me several messages while I was at work. He thought it'd be easier on me if I paid the garage $650 for the work that was done then the balance of $2200 to him. He's tried! I know he'd like me to buy, but not at $2800. I'd pay him that if I thought it was worth it. Needless to say I left him a no thank you message on his machine. I'm bummed. I guess back to scouring Craigslist and the web.
Makes me wonder if he has the $650 to get the car out of the shop (guess he went over the original $500). This guy is starting to sound a little flakey. If you do wind up buying this car, be dang sure you have title in hand when money changes hands.
Old April 25th, 2013, 11:51 AM

Well, left him a message saying no thanks and no call back. Guess he really didn't want to negotiate at all.