General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Currently, whos the best steering gear re-builder?

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2017, 11:54 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Currently, whos the best steering gear re-builder?

I did due diligence searching the archives. Only problem is most of it is not current. With companies so frequently coming and goin; what was once good is gone or run by another party who has since run it into the ground. A few companies come to mind right away.
We need a sticky forum section as a separate page for stuff like this. We are getting so big here that to search the archives takes quite a while, and in cases similar to this, it may no longer be current, hence this post.

To the point, who has performed a power steering gear upgrade within the last year or two? Im looking for the best steering box rebuilders out there, a couple of them. Its time to do my 68 442. I want to use the same box and have it up graded to the modern feel and reduced lock to lock turns.
I dont want to install a JGC or re-maned box. Its an original numbers matching car. Im looking for a show, high quality rebuilder and Im willing to pay up.

1. Who did the rebuild?
2. What is the preferred lock to lock ratio, 3-3.5 turns L to L?
3. What was the cost?
4. Turn a round time?
5. What would you have done differently?
6. What other parts do I need to complement this beside a new rag joint? Probably should send the pump out to the same guy. Why use an old pump and hoses.
7. Were you satisfied through the whole process, the parts, the finish and the cust service?

Sorry for the many Qs Im an engineer!

TX all,

Steve
Old February 1st, 2017, 12:43 PM
Registered car nut

Only one shop I know of, sure there are many more? Good place to start.

https://www.redheadsteeringgears.com...FYOTfgody0gGJQ
Old February 1st, 2017, 12:53 PM

I had TOP NOTCH service from http://www.powersteering.com/ about 2 years ago. I know others here have also used them. I am very pleased with the two pumps and gear box they rebuilt for me. I only had stock rebuilds done and no updates but they can answer anything you need to know.
Old February 1st, 2017, 02:59 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

X2 on Chip at Power Steering Services. He did the steering gear on my 54 and did a great job. Very nice guy and is glad to talk to you. Lots of folks have used him. I have never heard a complaint.
Old February 1st, 2017, 04:43 PM

another for Chip at Power Steering Services.

had a p/s box and pump done by him with the fast ratio conversion. standard detailing. it's on my F-85 and the car sits out a lot. I like the feel very much. no complaints.

had a manual box done with the extra detailing. it's on my Pontiac. Since it's a Pure Stock drags car, I wanted to convert to manual steering. no complaints.

had another manual box done with the extra detailing. it's on the W-31 that's currently undergoing a frame off resto. This will also participate in the Pure Stock drags and is one of the few changes I've done (radio delete is another, both are easy to change back) to the car.
Old February 1st, 2017, 05:33 PM
Gary

I"ve gotten two boxes from Chip. He does great work but he has gotten quite busy. The wait is the only downside from getting work from him.
Old February 1st, 2017, 06:24 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

When somebody is really busy it often times says something about the quality of their work. I am pretty sure he is a one man shop. I believe Chip is an Oldsmobile guy also.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 07:02 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Excellent feed back guys thanks keep it coming!
Old February 2nd, 2017, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I had TOP NOTCH service from http://www.powersteering.com/ about 2 years ago. I know others here have also used them. I am very pleased with the two pumps and gear box they rebuilt for me. I only had stock rebuilds done and no updates but they can answer anything you need to know.
x (whatever we're up to !)

Great work & took time for a ph call w/questions
Old February 3rd, 2017, 08:44 AM

Chips work.

DSC_0574_zpsc0ec111f.jpg

DSC_0573_zps576d0829.jpg

DSC_0576_zps735e54c3.jpg
Old February 3rd, 2017, 10:07 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

OOOO jewelry!
Old February 3rd, 2017, 11:22 AM

I am a big fan of Lee Power Steering, which is now the Steering Technology Group. I've had two 800 series fast ratio (approximately 12.7:1) boxes from them with heavier torsion bar to get rid of the "one finger steering" effect; the one in my '83 was one of my favorite pieces/best mods on the car... I haven't driven with the one for my '68 yet and won't for a while.

Lee was using all brand new hard parts inside, and they do a ton of high performance work (which means more to me). The downside is cost... since Borgeson is gone, the brand new made-in-USA parts is drying up. I'm not sure if they'll do a stock restoration-type finish on it, I never asked. Turn around time was around 2 weeks on mine if I remember correctly, but that was over a year ago.

You can see mine here how it arrived, and scroll down a few posts for how I detailed it:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post924062
Old February 14th, 2019, 10:15 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Closing the loop on an older post.
This is the guy I used. Good results.
I'll upload pics soon. Fort Knoxx firewall at work, pics will upload to 90% and hang up...More uploading gymnastic JOY! Gota go home and use the MS resizer.

Box, pump n lines have been installed 2 driving seasons.
The high resistance feel isn't as good as putting in a Jeep box(from what I hear and I had a 95 jeep GC).
The reduced ratio is nice.
A vast improvement over the 50-year-old stock box.
I went this route vs the Heep box because the car is almost 100% by the numbers.
Overall Id rate the experience as a solid 10.

http://www.powersteering.com/
Old February 14th, 2019, 07:26 PM
Gearhead

Chip sold the business and retired. I wish I could think of the new guy's name but it escapes me at the moment. He resealed the steering box on the wife's Avanti and did good work. I plan to use him on my Cutlass.
Old February 15th, 2019, 05:31 AM

This guy has a verrrrry god reputation on V8 Buick, Check it out

I have 2 Carhex12.7.1 quick ratio steering box ready to ship today. 4 more for tomorrow. any takers? direct bolt in factory replacement upgrade. 3 turns lock to lock with full turning radius. 120 plus 120 core charge and 20 for shipping. cost 260 shipped and depending on the core you send back you will get 60 or 120 back. if you don't have a core that is okay just pay the core charge. Hector 626 488 5472
Old February 15th, 2019, 05:38 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by Jon442
Chip sold the business and retired. I wish I could think of the new guy's name but it escapes me at the moment. He resealed the steering box on the wife's Avanti and did good work. I plan to use him on my Cutlass.
The info above is who chip sold his business to. He was trained by chip. Marty if memory serves?
Old February 15th, 2019, 01:08 PM

Oldspackrat gave me Hector Carrillo name. Scott said he's reasonable and does a good job. He's in CA. You can find him on Facebook.