General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

convertible conundrum

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2019, 07:29 PM

convertible conundrum

Hey Guys,
I have found myself in quite mental bind. I was recently steered by my step brother that a friend of his has a 1974/75 Detla 88 convertible she wants to get rid of. Kicker, it was recently in a flood, been told up to the floor boards, betting water got into the car carpet... It hasn't been run in 2 years, and it ran a bit rough then, so was at that time in need of a tune up. Top went up and down slow, was recovered 4 fours years ago. Not sure if it has the 350 or 455, nor if it is power windows/locks/seats, or if it had a/c. It is unmolested stock. It is a one family car, the lady's brother bought it new, died young. Father kept, he has since passed. Now the daughter has it... Needs to move it so work can be done to house... Several years ago siblings were considering putting it up for 5k... At this point she wants it to go to a good home...

The car is multi hour drive away. my step brother thinks I could get it really cheap and if I sold it down the road throw some money her way...

The aspect of it having been in flood to the "floorboards" is concerning, that it hasn't run in 2 years and rough then. What is the value on this generation car? Lets say I did a fluid change and tune up and got it running smooth - assuming nothing major hidden... Are these cars desirable enough these days that someone would buy to fully restore, or to drive it as is once it was running and assuming the seats aren't full of water?

Thoughts?

Old April 4th, 2019, 07:42 PM
Administrator

They don't have a huge following or great worth, being a convertible is a plus. They do drive really nice when running properly. The easiest way to see if it had water well past the floor is to inspect the fusebox and under the dash. You can look underneath for rot in the frame and floor. All in all free is good, chances are it can run again on a good tune up and some TLC. Go for it.
Old April 4th, 2019, 08:04 PM

where in nebraska was it when it got flooded?i see it doesn't have the ssiv wheels thats a bummer.are you old enough to remember b&g auto??
Old April 4th, 2019, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by 442fanatic
Kicker, it was recently in a flood, been told up to the floor boards, betting water got into the car carpet...
When I lived on the Gulf Coast that happened just about every time there was a hurricane / tropical storm/ major thunderstorm and I had to drive to work. Other times, I left the top down and a thunderstorm popped up and flooded the interior. Happened all the time. As oldcutlass said, look at the fuse box and floorboard from under the car. It may be OK.
Old April 5th, 2019, 04:38 AM

She will give you this car? Or they want 5 grand for it? Free-sure!! 5000-no!! Not sure what the situation is... It always seems to me no matter how thorough I check out a car, I still find unpleasant surprises after I get it home. Your call good luck!
Old April 5th, 2019, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
where in nebraska was it when it got flooded?i see it doesn't have the ssiv wheels thats a bummer.are you old enough to remember b&g auto??
Yep I remember B&G, there dealership was right across the road from my Grandpa's 66 gas station. I live up the road in town yet.
Eastern nebraska is where the deal is.

Al
Old April 5th, 2019, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
She will give you this car? Or they want 5 grand for it? Free-sure!! 5000-no!! Not sure what the situation is... It always seems to me no matter how thorough I check out a car, I still find unpleasant surprises after I get it home. Your call good luck!
I agree Greg, I talked to her this am, told her that the value of the car is in the tank for a car with flood damage from what i have heard on here and another olds forum where I have tested the waters on if this car has value if I were to get cheap and re sell...
So advised I would take it off her hands rather than see it go to the scrapper, but it isn't sellable now but for a total restoration...
Old April 5th, 2019, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
When I lived on the Gulf Coast that happened just about every time there was a hurricane / tropical storm/ major thunderstorm and I had to drive to work. Other times, I left the top down and a thunderstorm popped up and flooded the interior. Happened all the time. As oldcutlass said, look at the fuse box and floorboard from under the car. It may be OK.
No salt water, flood waters of the platte river
Old April 5th, 2019, 10:45 AM

No salt water from what I posted, either - all rain water and/or rain induced runoff.