General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Comparison Of Original Firewall Pad Against A Repro - Installation Tip

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2016, 08:45 PM

Comparison Of Original Firewall Pad Against A Repro - Installation Tip

After giving it my best, I wound up having to change the firewall pad on my 71 Non A/C Cutlass Supreme. After hearing all the poor fit horror stories associated with the repro pads, I ordered one from Fusick hoping for the best.

First off, the Fusick version looks great. It has the black rubber masticky backing, and the loose multi color fibers in the jute type material. The main difference is the OE is brownish in the jute, while the Fusick version is light gray/bluish. The jute seems slightly thinner, maybe a 1/4 inch, but it is imperceptible.

Since I was able to get my old one out more or less in one piece (minus the center section that goes around the column) I used the new installation pins to make a quasi jig. There is a couple of benefits - first you don't wind up removing any pieces you don't need to because you can mark through the holes on the old one on what you have to punch out from the new one, and you can check to see how the overall fit will be.

The good news is dimensionally almost everything is spot on except for two things:

1) The lower lip that kind of hugs the trans tunnel - the new one is a little longer in this area than it should be. I hope my pics I will try to post will show exactly what I mean because it tapers down to nothing on both sides of what I removed with the max width being about 1 inch. I don't know if this variance from the original would cause any installation problems, but I went ahead and cut this excess away with some big sharp scissors - surprised it it came out looking almost due cut.

2) The biggie, and the one that will cause installation problems, is the cut out for the accelerator pedal pivot. The pad has a single pre stamped area where to remove the material where the rectangular plastic piece bolts onto the firewall. There are no other choices. When I lined up my old pad on top of the new one, they do not match up - not close. The new one's punch out outline is the right size but it is about 3/4 of an inch too low. You would probably find this out after you have attached it to the firewall, and then it is even harder to fix. I simply marked where the cutout should be using the old pad as a template and cut it out along with all the other stuff I had to punch out BEFORE trying to install it. I installed it tonight, and the thing just fell into place.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (276.8 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by costpenn; May 11th, 2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old May 11th, 2016, 09:28 PM

Since for some reason my phone can't load pics tonight and my I pad will only load one at a time per post, here's more pics
Attached Images
image.jpeg (317.4 KB, 74 views)
Old May 11th, 2016, 09:29 PM

Another pic showing the material removed around the trans tunnel
Attached Images
image.jpeg (286.6 KB, 63 views)
Old May 11th, 2016, 09:30 PM

One more showing the trouble spot
Attached Images
image.jpeg (164.9 KB, 70 views)
Old May 11th, 2016, 10:07 PM

Is the color difference due to age?
Old May 12th, 2016, 07:52 AM

Thank you costpenn for the installation tips and photos. They will be very helpful and make this project less daunting for those who have yet to replace their firewall pad.
Old May 12th, 2016, 04:48 PM

Sure wish I would have seen this before battling with my repo pad. Thanks for posting.
Old May 12th, 2016, 05:43 PM

Thanks, costpenn for those pics. What was left of my old pad fell out in pieces and I tossed it...years ago.

Originally Posted by timholliday
Sure wish I would have seen this before battling with my repo pad. Thanks for posting.
X2

I'm finalizing mine with the same Fusick pad and there are many areas that either need trimming, re-cutting, or simply won't fit. You'll need some sharp bigazz scissors and a sharp knife.

Maybe it's 68-69 vs. 70-up thing, but several things are off on mine.

I had the same issues with the tunnel area and accel mount as well as the accel cable hole.

The hardest thing is that the whole pad seems to be not wide enough....or the left side holes are offset to the right.

The right side holes ('trees', heater, etc) all lined up fine, but the left side doesn't line up. I've stretched, beat, and yelled at it...all to no avail.

Seems like there needs to be another about 1" in width added to my pad down the center above the tunnel. The mounting hole directly above the steering column (in 1st pic - above the 'dashes') lines up about 1-2" to the right of the firewall hole & the fusebox/parking brake area was shifted way to the right as well. And, on the right side of the accel pedal mount there's a gap.

I fixed the fusebox piece alignment by accidentally partially tearing the bit above the pedal hanger gap which allowed it to shift left. I'll patch the little torn area with scrap from the heater box punchout.

I'm now toying with the idea of cutting it up the center and fixing the cut with scrap.
Old May 13th, 2016, 10:50 AM

Thanks for posting. All good info.
Old May 13th, 2016, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Indy_68_S
Thanks, costpenn for those pics. What was left of my old pad fell out in pieces and I tossed it...years ago.

X2

I'm finalizing mine with the same Fusick pad and there are many areas that either need trimming, re-cutting, or simply won't fit. You'll need some sharp bigazz scissors and a sharp knife.

Maybe it's 68-69 vs. 70-up thing, but several things are off on mine.

I had the same issues with the tunnel area and accel mount as well as the accel cable hole.

The hardest thing is that the whole pad seems to be not wide enough....or the left side holes are offset to the right.

The right side holes ('trees', heater, etc) all lined up fine, but the left side doesn't line up. I've stretched, beat, and yelled at it...all to no avail.

Seems like there needs to be another about 1" in width added to my pad down the center above the tunnel. The mounting hole directly above the steering column (in 1st pic - above the 'dashes') lines up about 1-2" to the right of the firewall hole & the fusebox/parking brake area was shifted way to the right as well. And, on the right side of the accel pedal mount there's a gap.

I fixed the fusebox piece alignment by accidentally partially tearing the bit above the pedal hanger gap which allowed it to shift left. I'll patch the little torn area with scrap from the heater box punchout.

I'm now toying with the idea of cutting it up the center and fixing the cut with scrap.

Wow - that one is not even close! Did you happen to notice the brand? The one Fusick sells is made by REM auto or something like that - that is the brand name that appeared on the instructions.

One final tip. Consider reaming out the holes in the firewall with a slightly oversized drill bit. (no more than .010 over) As 70Post informed me, all the repo fasteners seem to be made of a harder material than the originals which is why it they are such a beating to install!
Old May 13th, 2016, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by costpenn
Wow - that one is not even close! Did you happen to notice the brand? The one Fusick sells is made by REM auto or something like that - that is the brand name that appeared on the instructions.

One final tip. Consider reaming out the holes in the firewall with a slightly oversized drill bit. (no more than .010 over) As 70Post informed me, all the repo fasteners seem to be made of a harder material than the originals which is why it they are such a beating to install!
Not positive on brand name/mfgr. I got it a while (2+ years?) ago & tossed the wrapper & part label sheet that was in the bag when I pulled it out a few months ago. It might be 'Millennium Industries' because I have a few other pad-type items and I remember the label being the same. There were not any instructions included that I remember. Just the pad, small bag of fasteners, & the label sheet in the bag. It looks identical to the one in your pic. Pretty sure I got it from Fusick as I use them regularly & it was in a box with several other Fusick labeled parts.

My fasteners weren't that bad. They're slightly flexible. There's a hole down the center that goes about 2/3 the length. If you stick a rod (same dia as hole, but not sharp tip) in the hole, you can push the fastener thru because the rod stretches the plug lengthwise a little.
Old May 14th, 2016, 09:36 AM

Once upon a time I cut the whole darn thing along the bottom and loosend everything and tucked in place. if it wasn't for the splitting at the bottom edge after all these years we all could re-use them. It was a driver quality car and you couldnt tell the whole thing wasn't replaced.
Old May 14th, 2016, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by costpenn

If you heat the fasteners with a heat gun,they will go it a lot easier with no drilling.