General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Clean up sport steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2012, 01:32 PM

Clean up sport steering wheel

I am wondering how I can improve the appearance of my sport steering wheel. Its got scratches on it showing the gray surface underneath. Not sure how it happened since it was there when I bought it, but is there any way to blacken it up again? [Pic attached]

Thanks,
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo(75).JPG (106.6 KB, 43 views)
Old September 24th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Registered Luser

Bill, obviously, that wheel is not correct for the car, and was probably quickly spray painted. Now since you have been driving it, the paint is coming off. What you need to do, is after the season, remove it, clean it with some gold scotch brite and a good plastic or vinyl cleaner( DuPont makes one, so does SEM), you can purchase all the products you need from Kemperle. The closest one to you would be in Huntington Station on NY Ave. Once clean, apply an adhesion promoter by the same makers I mentioned earlier, and spray it the satin black color it needs to be. DuPont Vinyl would be the way I would go, but for cost effectiveness and ease of use, stick with the SEM system. The guys at Kemperle can help you out. They have a complete line of SEM. The proper products are key for longevity, flexibility and appearance.
Old September 24th, 2012, 06:08 PM

Erik,

Thanks for the great reply as always. You've given me all the info I need to do this properly and its very much appreciated! I've been in to Kemperle before and they're super helpful (George I believe) so I should be in good hands.

Thanks again,
Bill
Old September 25th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Registered Luser

George is correct. Also, Hector is good. If they have a question, have them call me, I will explain.