General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Are classic car dealers ruining the market for buyers?

Old March 27th, 2019, 06:07 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Billyaxe
I’m not calling anyone bad guy for inflating prices or dealers who charge too much, it’s all part of the game. They have every right to get as much money as they can.
So really the point of this conversation is to educate us on what’s going on out there.

We may may be able to establish that there are two prices for your car.
1. The educated buyer. They will shop private sellers.
2. The uneducated buyer. They didn’t do any research or have disposable income and will buy from the big auction companies or classsic car dealers.

—Billy
That's not true either. Great deals come up periodically through auction houses and dealers.
Old March 27th, 2019, 06:43 AM

If you get a deal on a classic car through an auction house, it’s lucky. As far as I know they don’t let you drive the car in advance so your taking chances on what your getting. Unless you’re talking about non muscle car classics - which you see on mecum Thursday and some on Barrett Jackson end of auction cars. Those go for under 10K.

I’d like to see a classic car dealer’s good deal somewhere. It’s not logical that are any. You can’t compete with a private sellers price when consigning obviously. And if the dealer owns the car for sale, why would a classic car dealer even do that when all the other dealers are charging higher prices? Because if those dealers are keeping their prices high, they must be selling at some point. So any dealer will set their price according to their competitors. —Billy
Old March 27th, 2019, 07:00 AM

I had a friend that owned a dealership on a main Road and I was always shocked at what he could get for his cars,prices way higher than if you went to a private party.His moto for prices was set it high and watch them buy.He stayed in business till the day he died and made a lot of money doing it.