General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Chevy man may turn Dodge

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2011, 04:32 PM

Chevy man may turn Dodge

Our family has been with GM for 70 years but this may change. My 07 Chevy duramax Dually crew cab bought new. 160,000 powertrain, 80,000 the rest of the s*^t. Any ways so I asked for extra warranty, yep sure for 3500 you are covered bumper to bumper, this is what they told me. These trucks are know for tranny lines to leak when it turns 40 below zero. You have to change them, what a pain. So a month ago they started to leak, call up GM, tell them what is going on, 3rd time for this. Okay it will cost you 400 for the lines, 450 labour, I said pardon. Yep it will cost you 850 to fix it, well I lost it, that is covered under warranty, they told me no, I said what the h%ll you talking about it's the powertrain, nope sorry. Well then I bought the extra warranty, that doesn't cover that. So you mean I spent 3500 on nothing when you told me bumper to bumper. Sorry is all they say.I said well next time when some one buys extra warranty, tell them what isn't coverd. May consider not to buy. This is the last F&*(en time. So I call up my mechanic, tell him whats up. Off the hop, 265 for the lines, labour I didn't ask. Paid a tow truck 220 for a tow, 87 for one line and a 155 for labour and that included a safety for my truck. So I am done with them. Now has any one drove a new Dodge Cummings crew cab dually or even a single wheel? The old Dodges road like a tank, I don't like that. Cummings are a dam good motor, just want to know about the rest of the Dodge.Sorry for such a long post, any one have input. I would like to here from you guy's and see what you think.
Old March 31st, 2011, 07:22 PM

That's Cummins, not Cummings. Ford screams POWERSTROKE, Chevy yells DURAMAX and Dodge just quietly says "Cummins." Ever since 1989, the Cummins has been "too good" an engine for a mere pickup. Meanwhile, Dodge has been upgrading their trucks substantially over the years. Today they are at least competitive with the other brands, many feel they are better.
Old March 31st, 2011, 07:35 PM
GM Enthusiast

Sorry to hear about that. I had a warranty issue with a F150 for exhaust manifold bolts and they were not covered under the powertrain warranty either. Never waste my money on another powertrain warranty. I do not have any experience with a bid Dodge dually, but I really like their ram pickups. It would be my 1st choice if I buy another truck. A neighbor of mine has a dodge with a cummins and loves it. It has over 180k on it, and I believe it's a 2006. Good luck with your decision.
Old March 31st, 2011, 07:38 PM

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRR sorry bla never caught the spelling mistake
Old March 31st, 2011, 07:44 PM

I know Ford is having problems with their POWERSTROKE, Chevy not so much with the Duramax, and Cummin's if something goes wrong, thats 1 in a million. Their is another contractor here with a late 80's dodge, almost 200,000. That thing starts with a flip of the key. He's never had a issue with his.
Old March 31st, 2011, 08:17 PM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

I got a '06 Ram 2500 with the Cummins. Best ever of 24 mpg, I average 18 mpg. I got 75k miles and never a mechanical problem. Dodge just announced a power boost, 800lb/ft of tq. There is also rumors of a better trans coming. I did get an extended warranty, but that ran out at 70k miles. Pulls like a dream. Exhaust brake on the new ones is awesome. My Chevy to Dodge wasn't nearly as bad as yours, but the '95 S-10 I bought new was in the shop at least 2 times a month, I just had enough. It went like this, S-10, Dakota V6, Dakota V8 4x4, Ram 2500 Hemi then Ram Cummins. The down side to the new one, you can't play with it without the computer pretty much tattling on you and then there goes the warranty. Here's some pics of mine "working", the first pic is towing 13k lbs, the travel trailer is only 6k lbs DSC00433.jpg
Old March 31st, 2011, 08:23 PM

How is the ride in them? Heard they are boosting the power and I like the engine brake thing. The biggest load I had on my Chevy 27,000+LBS on a fifth wheel goose neck. She pulled her no problem. If I ever got caught with that load, I would of have to give the guy my truck
Old March 31st, 2011, 08:25 PM

So now they have it set up so they can tell if you were in their playing around
Old March 31st, 2011, 08:25 PM

Depends, the older ones like mine ride like a truck, lol. The new one I tested rides many times better, interior is many times more comfy but I won't give mine up, 6 more payments and it's mine.
Old March 31st, 2011, 08:28 PM

Mine has been played with. With just a muffler change, swiss cheesing the air box, adding an intake manifold air horn and a Smarty programmer, I got 456hp and 812tq to the tires. I **** off my buddy in his new Mustang GT..........
Old March 31st, 2011, 08:28 PM

I've looked at some new one's. Never drove one yet but I am itchin to try one. They are also over 5 grand cheaper then a Chevy. Kinda like that
Old March 31st, 2011, 08:30 PM

I'm pretty sure the 800tq ones ain't on the lot yet, Dodge just announced that last week.
Old March 31st, 2011, 08:41 PM

Oh, up here in Canada they announced it over a month ago
Old April 1st, 2011, 01:20 AM

My nephew has a 2009 Dodge/ cummins its a 4500 series w/ 4wd, would ride so rough without a load on you thought your fillings would rattle out of your teeth. Then he found an air bag set-up that goes on the rear spring hangers, and it is a totally different truck. A control in the dash lets you air it up when loaded. Excellent motorwise so far though, he has not had a problem wirh the truck, but at the autoparts we sell a lot of front wheel bearings and tie rods for the newer dodges.
Old April 1st, 2011, 03:12 AM

Bad situation. In my opinion, this is why I never buy extended service plans no matter what it is. So many loops to jump through if you even do have coverage. When coverage is applicable the repair that is needed statistically is less than the up front cost of purchasing the coverage in the first place. Better off imo to put a little bit away each month in a just in case fund. just my 2 cents
Old April 1st, 2011, 05:06 AM

I gave up on Chevy years ago I'm to lazy to walk. The dodge trucks did ride hard but they were built to haul in my eyes and you just cant stop the motor. I didn't think the 05 rode that bad plus it pulls like a dream.
Old April 1st, 2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by 66 Olznut
Mine has been played with. With just a muffler change, swiss cheesing the air box, adding an intake manifold air horn and a Smarty programmer, I got 456hp and 812tq to the tires. I **** off my buddy in his new Mustang GT..........
I'am sorry my jaw just hit the floor. Wait where that tooth You have 456 on the ground or at the engine,it sounds like you are saying on the ground. Wow if that is the case, your at what 600+ at the engineDo you still have stock drive shaft and rear end to take that power
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by g77rvd
Bad situation. In my opinion, this is why I never buy extended service plans no matter what it is. So many loops to jump through if you even do have coverage. When coverage is applicable the repair that is needed statistically is less than the up front cost of purchasing the coverage in the first place. Better off imo to put a little bit away each month in a just in case fund. just my 2 cents
I've been tell guy's around of what happened, they say the same thing, wast of money
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by made in the usa
I gave up on Chevy years ago I'm to lazy to walk. The dodge trucks did ride hard but they were built to haul in my eyes and you just cant stop the motor. I didn't think the 05 rode that bad plus it pulls like a dream.
We have been with GM for so long, I feel like I am sining if I go else where. Alot of other guy's are going to Dodge and that is what I am leaning to wards. Even a family van,Dodge is the only domestic manufacture that make them now.
Old April 1st, 2011, 08:37 AM

Go to a rental outfit and rent a dodge and drive it. I rented a dodge 2500 with the hemi, four wheel drive and quad cab a couple of weeks ago in Denver. It rode almost as well as my STS Cadd.
Old April 1st, 2011, 10:29 AM

Really, thats good to know. Could even go to the local dealer and test drive one. Yet if you rent one you aren't in a hurry to bring it back
Old April 1st, 2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Kyle's 77 Cutlass
I'am sorry my jaw just hit the floor. Wait where that tooth You have 456 on the ground or at the engine,it sounds like you are saying on the ground. Wow if that is the case, your at what 600+ at the engineDo you still have stock drive shaft and rear end to take that power
Yes and yes. Stock trans also which I plan to deal with asap. I don't run on the max level, I think I did it only a few times in the 5 years I've had it. Around town, I try for max mpg and keep my programmer on level 1 of 9 and keep my foot out of it. Here's a vid of my truck on the dyno making the 456 hp. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qRseEEakIM I ran the 1/4 a few years back before the track closed, it got a 14.6 at 100 mph and I was spinning through 1st and 2nd gear and was at 3000' elevation.
Old April 1st, 2011, 10:52 AM

Thats cool,they didn't show the spec's?I have a Bully Dog for my truck but it has to be hooked up yet
Old April 1st, 2011, 11:01 AM

Here's my dyno sheet. The 407hp was with it on level 5. The 456 was level 9. DynoDay11709.jpg www.madselectronics.com for the guy that makes the best programmers for Dodge only bar none.

Last edited by 66 Olznut; April 1st, 2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old April 1st, 2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by g77rvd

Agreed completely.

I was looking at the new 2008 Dodge Ram pickups on the lots.
That's when Chrysler was offering the LIFETIME warranty.

Upon close inspection of the warranty I saw you had to change the 16 spark plugs every 30,000 miles.
Now that was just ONE of the MANY absurd maintenance requests the warranty made you follow.
So I realized it was a horsesh*t warranty. Receipts were needed for every trans flush every 30,000 miles and oil changes as well.
Most warranties like this are NOT worth the investment.

My cousin bought an extended warranty and his trans in his 2000 Grand Prix GTP failed prematurely.
They wouldn't honor the warranty without proof and receipts of trans flushes done every 30,000
Old April 1st, 2011, 01:08 PM

16 plug's? 2 plugs per cylinder? Now I see this extra warranty is BS. You think a person could get their money back, false advertising. Bumper to bumper my A**