General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Changing car insurance

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2022, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Changing car insurance

I've been with Safeco for 9 years and have had great service from them with a few claims. However, they upped our homeowners insurance by almost $400 and it's bundled with our car insurance. In keeping with the bundled theme, USAA was the least expensive for our homeowners, less money than our current policy and more coverage. My wifes car (2007 Mustang GT) was a little cheaper and the Olds will be underwritten through American Collectors. Same agreed value with a few extra perk coverages for about $6 more, $211/annually.
Old October 3rd, 2022, 02:40 PM
Old(s) Fart

We've had USAA for decades. Very happy with them.
Old October 3rd, 2022, 03:09 PM

I too have had USAA for decades. It was USAA that referred me to AMERICAN COLLECTORS for my 71 CUTLASS SUPREME. I have never had a claim with AMERICAN COLLECTORS, so I can’t comment on their claims service, but they were good to work with in establishing agreed value.
Old October 3rd, 2022, 03:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 71Convertible
I too have had USAA for decades. It was USAA that referred me to AMERICAN COLLECTORS for my 71 CUTLASS SUPREME. I have never had a claim with AMERICAN COLLECTORS, so I can’t comment on their claims service, but they were good to work with in establishing agreed value.
American Collectors is a related company of USAA.
Old October 3rd, 2022, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
American Collectors is a related company of USAA.
They are an underwriter for USAA, not affiliated.
Old October 3rd, 2022, 03:22 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
They are an underwriter for USAA, not affiliated.
OK, thanks. The USAA website makes it look like they are affiliated, but apparently I read too much into that.
Old October 3rd, 2022, 03:39 PM

Personally, I’ve had one claim with American Collectors and they were excellent to deal with. Submitted detailed estimate, well documented with lots of photos, was promptly processed and paid, only pertinent questions asked and no dickin around. Did a few claims for customers and they were great to deal with there too, no dickin around as long as people aren’t asking for ridiculous things. With me, customers that make silly, unscrupulous claims or want ridiculous things were always referred elsewhere.

I’ve done hundreds of claims with USAA. They used to be best in the business along with Chubb and Amica. They treat their customers like gold on the phone, processing, correspondence and a cute monthly newsletter while (IMO) stabbing you and the shop in the dick on repair process and parts shortcuts via used and aftermarket parts, same as pretty much everyone else. Their direct (STARS) shops are totally beholden to them instead of you, though most customers are satisfied with the process. To USAA’s credit they do not really duck the parts issue, they consider it a savings for their customers and acknowledge the policy.

That said, they are typically cheaper than most and as previously said, customer service is efficient and very cordial. Might want to see if they have an OE replacement option for policy available, if so weigh the worth. If not, and if it matters to you, negotiating with the shop and paying the difference for real parts is a good idea. If you don’t care, pay any applicable deductible, hop in your repaired car and ride blissfully into the sunset. One can do a whole lot worse than USAA but they are just an also ran where the rubber meets the road.

​​​​​​….

Last edited by bccan; October 3rd, 2022 at 08:56 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2022, 04:12 PM

I have always heard insurance rates are regulated/established per State. My 6-month auto premium for my daily drivers is due at the end of this month. I've had Geico for my daily drivers and my motorcycles for years (separate policies). I about fell on the floor when I recently got my bill from Geico for my daily drivers. They were trying to raise my 6-month premium by 38%. I've had no driving infractions, and have never had an accident or filed a claim. They don't care, it is what it is, take it or leave it. Shopped around and found I could get the car and truck insured for less than 50% of Geico's cost thru AARP's insurance program which is underwritten by "The Hartford" insurance company. Unfortunately, they do not insure motorcycles, so I'll have to see if Geico tries to jack those sky high too!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 3rd, 2022 at 04:16 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2022, 05:14 PM

USAA is merely ok, similar to what Bccan said above. I have had both for years, and never filed a claim with American Collectors. I got hit in the rear on my Tacoma and needed a new bumper and they would only spring for aftermarket. Agent tried to talk down to me, I asked him if he had my occupation on file. When he kind of asked why that mattered, I informed him I knew better than him and would keep my own judgment on safety devices on my company's cars. He wouldn't budge, so I told him to go ahead and write what he was allowed to write, and I would continue to think of him and them the way I do. I had already told the body shop they were working for me, not the insurance company, and I wanted NOS parts. I got about 80% of the value of the bill.

Insurance people are in my Worst Five Professions to deal with. In case people care, they are, in no particular order: Attorneys, Police, Insurance Agents, the TSA, and the DMV. Honorable Mentions to the IRS and County Code Enforcement. Edit: Forgot utilities company people. They, also, can suck it.
Old October 4th, 2022, 05:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Koda
Insurance people are in my Worst Five Professions to deal with. In case people care, they are, in no particular order: Attorneys, Police, Insurance Agents, the TSA, and the DMV. Honorable Mentions to the IRS and County Code Enforcement. Edit: Forgot utilities company people. They, also, can suck it.
I might change the order a little, but I can't disagree with the list. Insurance companies are in business to make money, period. Any payouts detract from profits. Do the math.
Old October 4th, 2022, 06:42 AM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

If one is not shopping for insurance coverage (regardless of the type) periodically, then they are being screwed to the sheetrock by the insurance carrier. Customer loyalty today is not rewarded as it was in the past. Today insurance companies give better rates to newcomers to hook them and then gradually apply the screws to them.

Because we shop insurance, we have gone through so many insurance carriers that we are recycling back through some of the previous ones that we dropped in the past.

With traditional insurance, just because one pays for full-coverage on a vehicle does not mean one will be made whole when there is an accident. We learned that the hard way. Insurance companies, like the gambling houses—always win.
Old October 4th, 2022, 07:38 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think USAA is a great company. I have them for my homeowner's insurance and I have had American Collectors for years on my previous Olds and on my current one. I did have USAA for auto. My wife had an accident in the Expedition where a concrete block fell from a trailer in front of her. She could not change lanes or stop so she hit it. It took out the two right tires and wheels. USAA paid the claim but charged her with an accident since she said the block had stopped rolling. So, they determined it was a stationary object. I argued unsuccessfully with the adjuster. The forgave the accident under the accident forgiveness provision. Less than a year later I backed out of my driveway into and older Honda and put a dent in the front fender. They changed me with that and no doubt I was at fault. They then increased my premium for the next three years. The increase was significant and amounted to several times the repair on the Honda. There was not police report, and it was not a chargeable offence. I went back to Farmers for my auto insurance. So, USAA is good as long as you only use it not more than once every three years.
Old October 4th, 2022, 07:44 AM

Years ago I checked and changed company's. I had AAA for 40 years, and was happy, had a big jump in my premium, and Costco, had just sent me info for free quote. I decided to send it in. They saved me about $3K a year, for combined car and auto, and earthquake. Earthquake was the biggest difference, and also took out a million dollar umbrella for less than I was paying. It pays to check around.
Old October 4th, 2022, 03:58 PM

I have all my insurance policies with AMICA since my first car. My old Buick winter car got rear-ended a few years ago. They located a clean bumper cover but the yard dropped it and ran over it with their forklift. They couldn't find another clean one in a timely manner. For that car I would have been perfectly OK with an LKQ aftermarket. When I discussed that with them they said they don't like aftermarket parts and had already procured NOS items. I may add that the person that rear-ended me had GEICO. GEICO told me they would not cover the vehicle rental expense I incurred while mine was being repaired. They flat-out stated they just didn't want to and tough luck on my part. AMICA took them to arbitration and got me reimbursed.

I had a water leak in my home that damaged the hardwood floors in one room. The adjuster came out and said refinishing the floor will be included. She then pointed out to me that the flooring continued into two adjacent rooms and there could be a finish mismatch, so they will also cover refinishing those. I never expected that.

They are likely not the lowest cost, however at the end of the policy year they always send a dividend check which has always been 20 to 25% of the premium. The only down side is they don't have collector car insurance.

Last edited by briane; October 4th, 2022 at 04:03 PM.