General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Carbon Tax is here.

Old January 2nd, 2017, 08:35 AM
Hookers under Hood

Carbon Tax is here.

Gas prices shoot up to 115.9 thanks to our new Carbon Tax here in Ontario. Alberta was hit as well I think.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 08:37 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Yeeeha..happy new year...
Old January 2nd, 2017, 10:17 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Damn, Ottawa's really got you guys in its sights, doesn't it.

Is this because of Justin, or just a general thing that's happening?

I'm annoyed that gas has gone from about $2.10 to almost $2.30 a gallon here, so I can't imagine how you guys are coping.

Wonder when the first gas station in a US border town will run a pipe across the border?

- Eric
Old January 2nd, 2017, 10:24 AM

115.9 a barrel?

If so how much a gallon?
Old January 2nd, 2017, 10:32 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

$1.159CDN / Litre = $5.89USD / US Gallon.

- Eric
Old January 2nd, 2017, 10:54 AM
Hookers under Hood

Heating our homes is going up as well haha. Not sure if its Justin's deal or Wicket Wynns. I'm sure it will be back to $135-$140 by spring.
For the most part we are coping just fine up here Eric, but for how much longer.. who knows. Most of my cars and pick-ups aren't that easy on fuel but I could always by a couple puddle jumpers I suppose. Then I'd have to learn how to swim if one sunk.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 12:55 PM

It's just (expensive) smoke and mirrors. The politicians win votes from the environmentalists for taking affirmative action against global warming and get to feel like they're making a positive difference in the world.

The reality is that the global impact on reducing Canada's 3.something percent of the carbon production won't do a damned thing except raise more money for the government coffers.

Just another way for the fat cats to stick it to us.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 01:04 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
The reality is that the global impact on reducing Canada's 3.something percent of the carbon production won't do a damned thing except raise more money for the government coffers.

Just another way for the fat cats to stick it to us.
Heck, with a 3% contribution, considering that you occupy nearly 15% of the earth's land area (not to mention all those trees...), you should be able to make all the CO2 that you want to.

Besides, I think most Canadians would be grateful for a little global warming this time of year.

- Eric
Old January 2nd, 2017, 01:30 PM
Lansing built

Michigan just added a 7 cent increase on the tax to fix the roads. I was in Detroit area mainly Troy/Sterling heights. I dodged so many pot holes I was wishing I brought the wifes 4x4 Silverado. Oh yea by the time I left for Detroit $2.23 and few hours later it was $2.59

So 7 cents is the new 36 cents

Pat
Old January 2nd, 2017, 01:45 PM

We just went from something like the 3rd cheapest to the 5th most expensive in one shot. $1.99 to $2.50-$2.70 per gallon. All we had going for us was cheap gas but now we don't even have that. Almost impossible to get a concealed carry permit, 2nd highest taxes, Ugh. I must escape to real America for my family's sake. Somewhere in middle America.
At least the Classic Car laws aren't that bad here yet surprisingly.
Tom
Old January 2nd, 2017, 01:49 PM

carbon tax.

$1.09.9 / L here in Calgary area. We got a 4.5 cent per litre increase on gas & a 5.5 cent per litre increase on diesel. Additionally the local retailers tacked on another 4-5 cents per litre for themselves since a few days before Xmas. These taxes will result in all products purchased going up in price since all products have to be shipped. Propane & home heating gas also go up due to a carbon tax.

These carbon taxes are poorly veiled tax grabs. The money collected wont go toward the environment & even if it did the impact would be insignificant anyways. Just another tax grab. We are suffering here in Alberta with the oil decline from fall of 2014. We can't afford these taxes. The NDP government just assured themselves that they will be a single term government in this province.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 01:51 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Pfiffle
We just went from something like the 3rd cheapest to the 5th most expensive in one shot. $1.99 to $2.50-$2.70 per gallon. All we had going for us was cheap gas but now we don't even have that. Almost impossible to get a concealed carry permit, 2nd highest taxes, Ugh. I must escape to real America for my family's sake. Somewhere in middle America.
At least the Classic Car laws aren't that bad here yet surprisingly.
Yeah, you've got it tough in Jersey.

But, just a few hundred feet away lies Pennsylvania, where taxes are lower, regulations are fewer, gas is now cheaper (hard to imagine), and firearms laws are rational.
Of course, you'd have to put up with your NJ friends making fun of you for moving to "Pennsyltuckey," but you'll survive that.

Personally, I couldn't believe it last week, when I drove through Jersey and the gas prices were higher than they are in Maine, even on Route 46.

- Eric
Old January 2nd, 2017, 03:19 PM
Hookers under Hood

[QUOTE=MDchanic;

Besides, I think most Canadians would be grateful for a little global warming this time of year.

Oh for sure haha, My wife keeps telling me to get off er' and move over onto my own side of the bed everynight. I just keep tellin' er' but I'm cold baby.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 06:42 PM

Alabama has low fuel taxes and I greatly appreciate it. After all the taxes I pay over the year I don't need anymore leaching from the Government. LOL

Property Tax
Vehicle Tax
Sales Tax
Capital Gains Tax
Gas Tax
Vehicle Registration Fees
Vehicle Inspections
ObamaCare Fees (Remember! It's not a tax! It's a Mandate) LOL
Toll Road fees

What other tax or requirement em I missing?
Old January 2nd, 2017, 07:31 PM

[QUOTE=Olds442redberet;979700]Alabama has low fuel taxes and I greatly appreciate it. After all the taxes I pay over the year I don't need anymore leaching from the Government. LOL

Property Tax
Vehicle Tax
Sales Tax
Capital Gains Tax
Gas Tax
Vehicle Inspections
ObamaCare Fees (Remember! It's not a tax! It's a Mandate) President Trump will take care of that
Toll Road fees

What other tax or requirement em I missing? Pretty soon, riding your bicycle tax and walking down the street tax
Old January 2nd, 2017, 08:01 PM

Fuel consumption is on the decline and as a result state Highway funds are dwindling. In some states they are looking at ways to tax the driver for the number of miles driven annually in order to offset the decline in Gas Tax revenue.
Silly isn't it. Fuel conservation equals a decrease in state revenues. Who would have thought.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 03:19 AM
dualquadpete

Ontario's Cap & trade {fee, it's not a tax as she claims] was due to our Premier Wynne,& her [it] band of Liberal "bandit's]!!!! Justin is planning a Carbon tax as well & not sure if it's going on top of C&T?? Really needed this C&T on home heating for natural gas, guess we start burning the furniture to keep warm!! Province is getting tax on tax + as everything is going to increase due to more expensive fuel for delivery charges to stores etc. so Gov. gets more TAX on higher prices [13% sales tax]I filled up my Yukon before the hike at 98.8 a Litre at Indian reserve for reg. & a $ 1.06 for Premium for snow blower/ generator gas. Hmmm, may be cheaper to run generator for power than our insane electricity costs here!!! You folks south of border won't believe the cost of Hydro, [electricity to you ] here in Ontario, some people are having to decide whether to pay that or put food on the table!!!
Old January 3rd, 2017, 03:23 AM
Lansing built

Originally Posted by Olds442redberet
Alabama has low fuel taxes and I greatly appreciate it. After all the taxes I pay over the year I don't need anymore leaching from the Government. LOL

Property Tax
Vehicle Tax
Sales Tax
Capital Gains Tax
Gas Tax
Vehicle Inspections
ObamaCare Fees (Remember! It's not a tax! It's a Mandate) LOL
Toll Road fees

What other tax or requirement em I missing?
One thing about your sales tax, last time I is was in your state. They tax non processed foods like groceries. 10% if memory serves. Michigan only taxes processed foods like fast/restaurants at 6%

Something I missed on my previous post. Again "to fix our roads" a 20% increase for registration/tags. In act of kindness if your birthday falls before July 1st 2017 you can pay for your registration in full before 12-31-16 and pay at the old rate. Luckily mine falls within that time frame. Happy New year

Another bite in the ***! Directly related to the Flint water issue. All cities with water and sewage systems have to have a plan in place for attrition of all water supply/sewage equipment including piping and road replacement.

So my last bill went up 30% Merry Christmas from my city.

I am not saying the above is bad idea, but what the hell were they doing before?

Pat
Old January 3rd, 2017, 03:31 AM
dualquadpete

Our Lic. "fees went up in Sept. 2016, 4th. or 5th. increase since "she" [it] came into power!! Better sit down for this!!! It now costs $ 120 /yr for reg. plate, [cars & 1/2 tons,SUV] & as weight goes up so do the $$$$ It's into the thousands for a Semi!!! BUT it goes into General Revenue & gets "Pi$$ed" away, !!!!!
Old January 3rd, 2017, 03:51 AM
Getting There

one thing I love about living in Saskatchewan is that Brad Wall had the ***** to speak out and stand against the Carbon Tax....
Old January 3rd, 2017, 03:52 AM

PA is now #1 for gas tax...luckily our registration is flat rate and we pay no vehicle tax.

enviromentalists and the EPA are the biggest terrorist threat to america.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 04:33 AM

All this carbon tax is a joke and nobody will ever convince me it is about anything other than making some political people money.

Just a little perspective, one acre of corn produces enough oxygen to sustain around 130 people and there is over 80 million acres of corn in the USA alone. This don't count grass, trees, other crops or anything else. Sure, plants also create carbon when it is dead and decomposing but it is minor compared to the Oxygen it produced. Also, to top all this off, most of the earths oxygen comes from the plankton out in the ocean.

Like anyone else, I am not for trashing the Earth for no reason and there were many good things that have been done to improve the environment, but now things are going way to far to line someones pockets or give them power.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 05:50 AM

A little bit before my time, but the Beatles got it right:

"If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet."

I was beside myself when gas went from $1.95 / gallon to $2.03 / gallon. OK politicians and citizens are about the dumbest around. Since the tax revenue from the oil industry has plummeted instead of cutting programs elsewhere they decided to cut the Dept. of Education. Most school districts are taking Fridays off to save money.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 08:37 AM

Vancouver gas went to 1.36/litre. Officially (according to News) the most expensive in North America.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 11:53 AM

I live in Ontario and work in Metro Detroit so I see both sides. The price of gas, electricity, natural gas and pretty much everything else is crazy in Ontario. It was nice out this past weekend so I had the 442 out for a run. I hadn't filled the tank yet for winter so I did that. It was $1.15 for 91 octane. On Monday it was $1.34! It's a huge tax grab and the oil companies have to give us another kick when we are down too.

I don't buy gas for the daily drivers in Ontario anymore I also don't buy beer (over $30.00 a case), or groceries. Everything is taxed to death and the prices are just stupid.

This whole climate change IMO is a bunch of nothing and cap and trade is just another tax grab...
Old January 3rd, 2017, 02:21 PM

climate change = Real
Man made climate change = HOAX
man made pollution = real

certainly we can pollute land, water and air but its not changing the climate. Earth is gonna do what it does. who says warmer climate is a bad thing? animals will always adapt. we will adapt too. warmer climate means longer growing seasons, that seems like a GREAT thing to me. If NYC and Cali go under water because of rising oceans they we would all be MUCH better off. none of that is gonna happen thou, especially not because of a few classic cars.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 05:33 PM
Lansing built

Originally Posted by dualquadpete
Our Lic. "fees went up in Sept. 2016, 4th. or 5th. increase since "she" [it] came into power!! Better sit down for this!!! It now costs $ 120 /yr for reg. plate, [cars & 1/2 tons,SUV] & as weight goes up so do the $$$$ It's into the thousands for a Semi!!! BUT it goes into General Revenue & gets "Pi$$ed" away, !!!!!
$120.00! Must be nice! Next time I pay for plates for the 14 Silverado and 14 Impala those will be $200.00 each and My Alero will be $125.00. Plus our auto insurance is the highest in the U.S.

I used to pay for both 14's was $1800.00 now with the bonus of having one teenager in the house is $2300.00 and he has his own car and I pay half of insurance! (not included in the last figure) I will have another teen coming on line in less than two years. And don't blame me on having kids, these are step kids.

Pat
Old January 3rd, 2017, 05:50 PM
Hookers under Hood

Sounds like were all takin' it up the A$$ !! I hope the madness stops soon. Gas prices are one thing, but heating our homes, hydro and water are at unacceptable rates. Groceries have more than doubled in the past few years as well. I won't even get into licencing fees and insurance haha its a joke!!!
Just have to keep pluggin' away I suppose.

Eric
Old January 3rd, 2017, 05:53 PM

I don't trust the left on anything, but the reason I don't trust them on this is because the majority of the pollution in the world is coming from third world countries. If they truly cared about the planet, and understood the law of diminishing returns, they would be talking to them, not us. But, no lefty TRULY cares about their cause, because, as soon as it involves talking to someone who just might shoot you, they go home.
Old January 4th, 2017, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassjoe
I also don't buy beer (over $30.00 a case), or groceries. Everything is taxed to death and the prices are just stupid.
You need to learn to brew your own beer STAT! A man can live without home heating or gas in his Oldsmobile, but a man can't live without beer!

http://www.northernbrewer.com/

Originally Posted by 76olds
Just have to keep pluggin' away I suppose.
x2
Old January 4th, 2017, 07:25 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Our Premier, Brad Wall walked out on that nonsense. I am sure Justin is planning his own cash grab. Times are tough, money is short, there is a bunch of downsizing/combining of school and health regions in Saskatchewan. Good to see oil prices are getting reasonable again, which is good. The last thing anyone needs is another tax, money is tight enough.
Old January 5th, 2017, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Yeah, you've got it tough in Jersey.

But, just a few hundred feet away lies Pennsylvania, where taxes are lower, regulations are fewer, gas is now cheaper (hard to imagine), and firearms laws are rational.
Of course, you'd have to put up with your NJ friends making fun of you for moving to "Pennsyltuckey," but you'll survive that.

Personally, I couldn't believe it last week, when I drove through Jersey and the gas prices were higher than they are in Maine, even on Route 46.

- Eric
Believe me, if I could get work in Pennsy, I would fly in a heartbeat but my house value took a massive dump and now I dont have much equity. Im stuck for now. But its going to happen. Screw what my friends say, I can get along with Rednecks just fine. Just gotta find a school district that needs a Building And Grounds Supervisor, Im also an Electrician, NJ certified though but it has gotten me by in the past.. The property tax relief itself would give me an $8000.00 "raise". That and better Hunting, Fishing to do with my son, Maybe a less Liberal attitude too. ugh, I wanna go now. Maine seems nice though, a little cold.
Tom
Old January 5th, 2017, 11:57 AM

Indiana just added a tax on gas for roads also, but the real kicker in my town, they just voted to add a wheel tax next year, so they can fix our town roads. 20.00 a car, and 25.00 a trailer. I have 3 trailers, and 5 cars and trucks. when they started the Indiana lottery , that was so they could fix our roads.
Old January 5th, 2017, 12:05 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Maine seems nice though, a little cold.
Maine is great. Do what you want, shoot what you want, nobody's after you for anything, and if you've got to deal with the government (local or state), you can call up and talk to "Betty" or "Ginger" or "Linda" in whatever office, and she'll fix up whatever it is, right away, and with a smile.

On the downside, it's frickin' cold, and the winter is two months longer than in the NY area.
Also, the people are just not all that friendly. It's the Puritan New England thing: People keep to themselves and just aren't very social. If you're used to the Dutch / Anglican / Catholic background in NY / NJ, it's a bit off-putting.

Believe it or not, I'm planning to move back to NY (God, I'll need a license for my guns), upstate, not to the City, because I need to be closer to family, because my wife and I have more friends there, and because the employment philosophy is a bit less Victorian (they think that things like sick days and vacations are a luxury here).

But, yeah, if you want a lot of cheap land, where you can go full auto, use a suppressor, carry without a permit, and where (surprise!) your house will never be broken into, Maine is a great place!

- Eric
Old January 5th, 2017, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rustbucket2
Indiana just added a tax on gas for roads also, but the real kicker in my town, they just voted to add a wheel tax next year, so they can fix our town roads. 20.00 a car, and 25.00 a trailer. I have 3 trailers, and 5 cars and trucks. when they started the Indiana lottery , that was so they could fix our roads.
I looked at the cost of living in most all of the state's in the lower 48, along with each state's tax rates, vehicle registration and gun laws. I looked closely at Indiana because I have family there.

I never could understand the concept of taxing the vehicle at the state level and the wheels at the county or city level.

The one thing Alabama does that seems excessive is we are taxed on everything we buy, including food and water. In the neighborhood of 9.5%.

But on the good side:
I don't get taxed on my retirement.
I drive older vehicles so my vehicle tax is low. I think it's less than $50.00 a year
We have antique plates for our Oldsmobiles so they aren't taxed yearly.
No vehicle inspections.
No hassles with registering older vehicles. A Bill of sale is the only requirement.
Old January 5th, 2017, 12:29 PM

Dog gone it!! Seems like everyone has a whine. Here in good ole Kansas we are in the red state coffers. Gas prices are on the rise. Schools funds have been cut to the bone. Roads are like wagon trails giant pot holes. Food prices are crazy. Have i told you the good new yet! My car trailers tags are due both were built in 2000 $45 each and i have paid every year i owned them since new. Which by the way was much higher property tax. I think i have paid enough tax on these two bumper pulls to have bought a new enclosed trailer. Don't get me started on property tax up $4000 and i haven't got to cars and trucks yet. Dang i hate winter and i think i will move to Texas with in the next three to five years. Signed taxed out in Kansas and froosen out.
Old January 5th, 2017, 01:24 PM

Is there any state that is still good? I,'ve considered Texas. Sounds like they don't take any **** down there. In Jersey, a guy can pull a home invasion on you and if you defend yourself, you can get sued by him! If he is still alive, that. Is. I hear Colorado is nice. I guess wherever you live, it's just what you make it. If we just had better attitudes towards gun laws here it wouldn't be so bad but people are raised to fear firearms here. Most just have not been exposed and think guns are evil. Well, at least I have an outstanding wife and a wonderful son. Right? That's the most important thing.
Tom
This venting was good. I feel better now, Ha.
Old January 5th, 2017, 01:38 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... at least I have an outstanding wife and a wonderful son.
Better than an outstanding warrant!

- Eric
Old January 5th, 2017, 05:38 PM
Hookers under Hood

[QUOTE=Pfiffle;980532] Well, at least I have an outstanding wife and a wonderful son. Right? That's the most important thing.

That's what makes it all worth it at the end of the day Tom. My wife is pretty cool as well. She has to be to put up with me haha.
I don't know how we get by at times LOL, Good thing the got rid of the dam pennies over on this side of the pond. I was tired of counting pennies !!
Now we get ripped off a few pennies when rounding up after each purchase.
Pffffft , now I have to count my nickels.
I've adapted to being broke.

Eric
Old January 7th, 2017, 02:13 PM

The Carbon Tax is definitely just a tax grab. In order for it to truly work it should inhibit your use of the product. The level they apply the tax is more of a inconvenience, ergo it does not really stop you from using the product. The usage may be curbed somewhat, but if they really wanted to effect change. it would be much more substantial. You may say they are implementing it slowly to ease the pain, but that is what proves it is a tax grab. If it really matter, they would cause a change immediately.
I do believe the Oil companies are screwing us also though.
At the height of the price per barrel of oil several years ago, approx. $147USD the cost per litre of 87 Octane was about $1.45 in my neighborhood.
Today oil is about $55USD a barrel and gas per litre is approx. $1.36. Oil is $90 a barrel cheaper right now.
Even if you factor out the recent carbon tax is does not come close to explaining why fuel is the price it is? All the oil companies are within a cent or two of each other. The scenario reeks of collusion but the government wont do a thing about it. The higher the price of gasoline the more taxes they bring in.
In the end you and I, the consumer get screwed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carbon Tax is here.