General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

A/c Question - old license plate question

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2017, 08:25 AM

A/c Question - old license plate question

Hey guys,

It is 90s and humid here in the cyclone state of Iowa. I had fun car show at Jefferson's Bell Tower days saturday. Anyone in the state, Jeferson hosts I believe two car shows in August called "Hot August Nights" around their lively square on Thursday nights.

1st Question Air conditioning. Ran the A/C on the way home, and normal engine temp even on a hot day is around 195. I have a 190 thermostat, large AL radiator. I ran the A/C and the car was up to 230 +/- after the 20 mile return trip.

1976 Cutlass 442. Does the a/c pull harder if it is running low on Refridgerant? It is a Delco compressor, reman one that was converted by the reman folk to R134a...

I picked up a set of 1975 plates, with 1976 stickers under the 1977. I have the bill of sale from the dealer, aside from having that in the car. Is anything else needed when one is using vintage plates over the registered plates?
Old June 11th, 2017, 09:48 AM

Old License plates

Don't know about Iowa, but here in Texas, to run a "year of manufacture" plate, one has to submit the plate to the DMV for approval, then that number shows up on your registration papers.
Old June 11th, 2017, 09:57 AM

http://www.dmv.org/ia-iowa/special-license-plates.php

Antique & Vintage License Plates

Antique vehicle license plates are available for vehicles that are:
  • At least 25 years old.
    AND
  • Driven ONLY for display or events, such as car shows.
You can also apply to use an authentic vintage Iowa license plate issued the same year as the model year of your vehicle.
For more information about antique and vintage license plates, contact the Iowa DOT:
  • Online.
  • By calling (515) 239-1101.
Old June 11th, 2017, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Junkman
Thanks Junkman! Just reviewed the paper work the plate guy gave me which said the same thing. I believe my car is registered as a classic as it is only $25 a year.

I don't think they enforce strictly the drive only to car shows, fairs, and for service station fuel/maintenance. At least in Iowa.

Now I will have to pick up one of those R134 recharge kits that come with the connecting hose/guage, and such. They appear to be a recharge for dummies..

Alex
Old June 12th, 2017, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by 442fanatic
Thanks Junkman! Just reviewed the paper work the plate guy gave me which said the same thing. I believe my car is registered as a classic as it is only $25 a year.

I don't think they enforce strictly the drive only to car shows, fairs, and for service station fuel/maintenance. At least in Iowa.

Now I will have to pick up one of those R134 recharge kits that come with the connecting hose/guage, and such. They appear to be a recharge for dummies..

Alex

I suggest that you take the car to a competent A/C shop, and have them put the gauges on the system. R134 should be charged to 80% of what the charge was for R12. It might be over charged presently, causing the loss of cooling. There may be some other problem that needs to be resolved. Adding Freon when you don't know how to properly service air conditioning, you can do more harm to the system than you realize. An overcharged system can burst hoses, etc.. If you don't know all about the system, you should leave it to the professionals to diagnose and repair the system.