General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Brake Vacuum Filter

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2016, 09:11 AM

Brake Vacuum Filter

My 69 Cutlass that once had drum brakes in the front have been replaced with disc brakes...It was suggested that I put a "Brake vacuum filter" in my line to avoid dust and particles being sucked. My only problem is.....where can I find this filter??? They didn't make them for thsee cars in 69 so which one should I use?? Thanks guys
Old June 2nd, 2016, 09:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Cpriester123
My 69 Cutlass that once had drum brakes in the front have been replaced with disc brakes...It was suggested that I put a "Brake vacuum filter" in my line to avoid dust and particles being sucked. My only problem is.....where can I find this filter??? They didn't make them for thsee cars in 69 so which one should I use?? Thanks guys
The stock booster already has a filter at the inlet valve. This is a piece of filter material that is concentric with the pushrod that runs to the pedal. It is located under a plastic cover between the booster and the firewall.

If you want suspenders with that belt, get a filter from a 1980s Olds, like this one (Dorman P/N 80195). It goes in the hose between the booster and the intake manifold.

Old June 2nd, 2016, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The stock booster already has a filter at the inlet valve. This is a piece of filter material that is concentric with the pushrod that runs to the pedal. It is located under a plastic cover between the booster and the firewall.

If you want suspenders with that belt, get a filter from a 1980s Olds, like this one (Dorman P/N 80195). It goes in the hose between the booster and the intake manifold.

Thanks I appreciate it. My concern is what are suspenders? And what is the belt? And is the inlet valve the same thing as the check valve as in the picture?
Old June 2nd, 2016, 10:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks I appreciate it. My concern is what are suspenders? And what is the belt?
Well, depends on where you see the redundancy, since there is no need to wear both a belt and suspenders to keep your pants up. The factory built tens of millions of cars with only the inlet filter on the back of the booster. I've never heard of an issue with sucking dirt into the engine on these. Frankly, I don't know why they added the inline filter in the 1980s.

And is the inlet valve the same thing as the check valve as in the picture?
The picture I posted above is a filter, not a check valve. The check valve is the plastic part that presses into the rubber grommet on the booster itself. I don't know what inlet valve you are asking about. The booster inlet valve is built into the booster and can't be accessed without disassembly of the booster.

This is the check valve:

Old June 2nd, 2016, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Well, depends on where you see the redundancy, since there is no need to wear both a belt and suspenders to keep your pants up. The factory built tens of millions of cars with only the inlet filter on the back of the booster. I've never heard of an issue with sucking dirt into the engine on these. Frankly, I don't know why they added the inline filter in the 1980s.

The picture I posted above is a filter, not a check valve. The check valve is the plastic part that presses into the rubber grommet on the booster itself. I don't know what inlet valve you are asking about. The booster inlet valve is built into the booster and can't be accessed without disassembly of the booster.

This is the check valve:

Yea I was referring to the diagram that states where the check valve is. But I understandnow what you. I appreciate you taking the time to explain things. Very helpful
Old June 2nd, 2016, 11:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Yea I was referring to the diagram that states where the check valve is. But I understandnow what you. I appreciate you taking the time to explain things. Very helpful
The thing labeled "Control Valve" on the diagram is the air inlet. The check valve is the air outlet from the booster to the intake.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 02:40 PM

they put those inline filters on vans too. have change a few for being clogged.