General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

The apocalypse is nigh

Old April 26th, 2018, 08:51 PM

The apocalypse is nigh

Or something like that. Maybe its a good thing Olds did go out of business. If it were still around, probably all they'd be selling would be Bravadas and Silhouettes.

Ford dropping all but 2 cars from its North American dealerships

http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/25/auto...ica/index.html
Old April 26th, 2018, 09:36 PM

I was surprised. Never saw that coming, but it's all about profit, and there are way too many foreign cars on American roadways.
Old April 26th, 2018, 09:52 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

God, I HATE crossovers! The are horrid looking diaper mobile's. Carry on if you like those awful things.
Old April 27th, 2018, 05:31 AM

yup cuv's suck and it's all about the money they could care less what people actually want.why was it what 10 years ago or so that gm loved making suburbans,they got crappy milage when gas was 4+ bucks a gallon but they were their highest profit vehicles,so they pumped em out like no tomorrow.
Old April 27th, 2018, 05:32 AM

I like my Kias, they're both crossovers and they're great cars. I get my kicks driving my Oldsmobile and my f250.

Ford might regret that move. Then again, I've heard plenty about how car ownership will change in the near future.
Old April 27th, 2018, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by sixties-forever
I was surprised. Never saw that coming, but it's all about profit, and there are way too many foreign cars on American roadways.
It's more about "meeting customers' needs." Profit is nice, and so is market share. Right now, with low gas and a Republican administration, the market is low for cars and is in favor of SUVs and trucks. The average American does not drive a car for performance, they drive it for economy. When gas is low, they care less about economy and more about utility. SUVs and crossovers are easier to enter/exit and sit higher for better visibility.

Many of those "too many foreign cars" were built of American parts, by American labor, of a company that is publicly traded. The concept of "American car company" is outdated due to global manufacturing strategies. While it is true you have to have a board of directors that sits SOMEWHERE, every car company builds everywhere, and they are all on the stock market so anyone of any nationality can "own" part of the company.
Old April 27th, 2018, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
a Republican administration,
What has this got to do with the subject of this post? Ford simply thinks that dropping these lines is a good marketing move for them. Has nothing to do with what administration is in power.
Old April 27th, 2018, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by edzolz
What has this got to do with the subject of this post? Ford simply thinks that dropping these lines is a good marketing move for them. Has nothing to do with what administration is in power.
Republican admin = good business = lower gas prices due to better OPEC negotiation = more trucks and SUVs being made = less cars being made.

Ford is not cancelling these cars to cancel them, they're cancelling them to retool the lines to make other models (SUVs)
Old April 27th, 2018, 07:27 AM

No politics. I guess I have to lock the thread...

Search this Thread