General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

72 CS right side is 1" higher than the left need some help

Old July 8th, 2019, 01:49 PM

Just to close this out and what I did to remedy the issue.
I put a 1 inch spacer 1622 from Summit on top of the left rear spring. The set up now is all well within in the specs. The right side is now only 3/8" higher, the front is also the same. I have no ride or handling issues. I will be taking it back to the alignment shop to get a slight pull to the right issue addressed. (This was noted after the initial alignment) The tech wanted me to drive it to see if it gets any worse or better beings everything was new and the roads that we test drove were not all that great. So a free check and adjustment is still owed to me and will see if anything else changed due to the addition of this spacer.
Will be at another Show & Shine this week end and continuing the observance of other 70s GM cars for the same lean.
Old July 31st, 2019, 01:50 PM
Old(s) Fart

How about counting the coils in each?Coming in late, but a couple of thoughts. Have you carefully measured the wire diameter on the springs from side to side? This is a long shot, but it's possible that they were not packaged correctly.

Others have talked about the UPPER spring pocket at the front. There is a cylindrical locating feature built into the pocket in the underside of the frame. The front spring wire is supposed to fit around this locating feature. It is very easy for the spring to work it's way out of the proper position as you fight with getting the lower control arm in place. (Ask me how I know this) If this happens, the upper end of the spring wire will sit below this locating feature instead of around it. The result will be that corner of the car sitting about an inch too high. This is unrelated to the clocking of the spring pigtail in the lower control arm pocket.

You do have the flat ends of the front springs towards the top, right?

While not the factory recommended method for measuring ride height, measurements to a common location on the underside of the frame are good enough for your purposes and will remove sagging body mounts as a variable.

It appears from this thread that you have carefully compared the control arms to ensure nothing is bent. Have you also looked at the fittings on the frame where the LCAs bolt in? Another member here has recently had one of those fittings fracture loose from the frame.

That's about all I've got for the moment.
Old August 1st, 2019, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
How about counting the coils in each?Coming in late, but a couple of thoughts. Have you carefully measured the wire diameter on the springs from side to side? This is a long shot, but it's possible that they were not packaged correctly.

Others have talked about the UPPER spring pocket at the front. There is a cylindrical locating feature built into the pocket in the underside of the frame. The front spring wire is supposed to fit around this locating feature. It is very easy for the spring to work it's way out of the proper position as you fight with getting the lower control arm in place. (Ask me how I know this) If this happens, the upper end of the spring wire will sit below this locating feature instead of around it. The result will be that corner of the car sitting about an inch too high. This is unrelated to the clocking of the spring pigtail in the lower control arm pocket.

You do have the flat ends of the front springs towards the top, right?

While not the factory recommended method for measuring ride height, measurements to a common location on the underside of the frame are good enough for your purposes and will remove sagging body mounts as a variable.

It appears from this thread that you have carefully compared the control arms to ensure nothing is bent. Have you also looked at the fittings on the frame where the LCAs bolt in? Another member here has recently had one of those fittings fracture loose from the frame.

That's about all I've got for the moment.
Thank you Joe
Beings I bought the car with the springs heated was my first clue to inspection everything during the assembly
In regards to your 1st question all measurements are the same for each spring pairs, diameters and heights laying next to each other. Didn't think of counting coils due to the previous measurements being equal.

Both springs in the front and rear are in there respective spring pockets correctly.

Yes front springs tops are top "Moog even puts a sticker on the top coil as I remember"

I also had a lower A-arm bracket that was poorly welded back on (Drivers side) from the PO. I had to completely rebuild the frame base and welded the bracket back on I took two days doing all the measurements and alignments before welding. Its better than the passenger's side and the alignment shows it, which made me feel really good.

After adding the 1" spacer on top of the left rear spring both right front and rear is now only 3/8" higher than the left side. I am sticking a fork in it and calling good, with-in the factory specs and no ride or handling issues. When I am seeing this in other A-body cars in my same year class I need to move on and enjoy the work and efforts I did to bring back another classic from the crusher. Hope this helps others that encounter this same problem.