General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

71 Cutlass Fuel leak from the Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2011, 09:28 AM

71 Cutlass Fuel leak from the Exhaust

Olds Fans,

I need your help yet again I have a 71 Cutlass that has been a real kicker to get back on the road. I have gotten everything fixed on her from grounding, starting, wiring, and several other issues thanks to the good people that are on this site but I have yet another issue.

When my car is running i notice fuel coming out of the exhaust pipes. Has anyone had this issue or some knowledgeof what may be causing this issue.

Thanks,

Fred
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:33 AM

Are you sure it is not water? Today's gas is not the greatest in that regard.
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by defiant1
Are you sure it is not water? Today's gas is not the greatest in that regard.
What Shaun said, X2 on the water thing.

Have you cupped your hand under the exhaust to collect some and smell it?
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:54 AM

just smelled it and it was a false alarm. I was adjusting the carburetor and I think that is were I got the smell of gas. It was just water coming out of the exhaust. Thanks for bringing me back down to earth.
Let me pick your brain again with this one. I took the air filter and cover off the carburetor and my car starts with no problem but when I put the filter and cover back on it takes a few turns of the key and me pumping the accelerator and the car starts up. Could I just need a new filter or is it more than that?
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:57 AM

X3 on the water. It is condensation that usually forms after a cold startup.
Water is just a byproduct of combustion from moiture in the air and fuel.

IF it IS fuel, I would expect the car to run horribly (as if a cylinder or two is not firing) but would be surprised that the fuel would not be evaporated int he heat from exhaust...

Hold the airfilter up at a light source and look from the inside out. If you can see light through the paper (translucent), it is okay. If you do not see much or any, it is plugged and should be replaced.
Old September 28th, 2011, 10:00 AM

The only difference i can think of is the lack of air. New filter might help but I'm surprised it makes that much of a difference.
Old September 28th, 2011, 11:40 AM

I'll take a stab at the air cleaner problem.

Is it a snorkel style, or aftermarket round? The aftermarket ones tend to ride higher keeping interference to a minimum, the stock ones, and low profile aftermarkets need to be set on there just right. Also, if it is a snorkel, take a look through the snorkel & make sure there are no blockages.

Either way, put the base on with the lid off, make sure it seats properly, and watch to see if the butterfly on the carb opens any more than without the base on. If it does, there's your problem, open butterfly = more air in = more fuel needed to start. Start the car with just the base on. If it starts as easily as with no air cleaner, and the snorkel is clear of obstructions, it's probably your filter.

...just my thoughts, good luck & let us know what you find!
Old September 28th, 2011, 11:59 AM

For the couple bucks it costs for an air filter, i agree with everyone. Just replace it.

It's peace of mind that you'll probably be getting better fuel economy and performance anyway.
Old September 28th, 2011, 05:27 PM

The combustion process actually manufacturer's water. Think about it, hydrogen in the fuel, combined with oxygen in the air = water. I work in the industry, and typically figure 1 gallon of water manfactured, for every gallon of gas burned. That's why you don't want to do periodic winter storage start up's, without bringing everything up to operating temperatures. Just an invitation to have water sitting in the engine cylinders and exhaust system. Better leaving it alone until spring driving.