General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

70 Vista Paint Job questions

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2009, 06:34 PM

70 Vista Paint Job questions

First What is a good deal for a color change? I got a quote of 5,700 for all body work and a color change. Body work includes fixing all the roof glass molding sins.

Second Should I get a color change? Not a big fan of green but this car is aspen green (silver/green) Has a gold Interior. What would be your vote for color. _-_-_ I will release my choice later on.

Third - OAI Hood? Stripe Color if yes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
vista2.jpg (48.7 KB, 37 views)
Old August 11th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by Hark442
First What is a good deal for a color change? I got a quote of 5,700 for all body work and a color change. Body work includes fixing all the roof glass molding sins.

Second Should I get a color change? Not a big fan of green but this car is aspen green (silver/green) Has a gold Interior. What would be your vote for color. _-_-_ I will release my choice later on.

Third - OAI Hood? Stripe Color if yes!
Did you just buy that ride? I saw that for sale somewhere....car is sweet! I would paint it the same color if that is the orig color. With a gold interior, although maybe a bit ugly definitely a rare combo and cool! I know Bluevista hates green so don't listen to him!
That is a good price if the shop is a quality shop! Would like to see woodgrain back on it, no stripes, hood would be neat though....
Old August 11th, 2009, 07:13 PM

Shop

The price is for a color change. If I don't want the jambs shot and keep the original color it is $4,200.

Shop does real nice work and has two guys dedicated to restoration.
Old August 11th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Registered Luser

Check out my thread in the major builds section '70 Vista Cruiser Project...it might interest you!
Old August 11th, 2009, 07:26 PM

Major builds

I have read that thing start to finish! You are busting your ***! Nice job too! I teach and coach 3 varsity sports so getting into it myself would take 3 years.

I am leaning towards astro blue. Not sure on the OAI. would cost me at least another $1,000. I think it would look cool though. white stripes.

The wood grain stays! It has already been redone and this car has zero rot and is super straight. the upper window trim channels probaly need work (don't they all)

I am going to redo the interior myself. Will lean on your expertise when I get to that. Materials and painting.
Old August 11th, 2009, 11:22 PM

that car is sharp, I would keep it even though green is not my favorite, it looks great with the wood
Old August 11th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Registered

I think blue is a very good color choice.

We have mucho experience with Vista Cruiser interiors here (Erik and I).
Just figure about as much as the paint job if a lot has to be done.

Hey Erik...the feeling is mutual, green hates me too.

Last edited by Bluevista; August 11th, 2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old August 12th, 2009, 02:10 AM

i like the green. the price for the paint job looks to be the same as around my area.
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:53 AM

I like the green also. I think the wood trim with green is very nice. Mine is Blue and white w/o the wood grain.
Attached Images
Picture 074.jpg (68.6 KB, 8 views)
Picture 075.jpg (107.1 KB, 11 views)
Old August 12th, 2009, 06:53 AM

I think it looks great!

Just have it repainted green. It doesn't need hood stripes to be cool either. IMHO, the hood stripes would look odd with the wood grain.
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I like the green also. I think the wood trim with green is very nice. Mine is Blue and white w/o the wood grain.
This is hard, but I agree with jamsbo keep the green it looks sharp with the wood trim
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:18 AM

IMHO

No on the hood stripes. Just keep it like it is. The 15" SS II make the car. [sorry SS III]
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:56 AM

Car looks pretty good already,if you keep the woodgrain then that green looks good with it.Gold interior? Thats a strange sounding combo,maybe gold metallic to match interior would look good.The price on the door jambs is good,thats ALOT of work to change the color.IMO well worth that.Hood strip,A darker shade of the same body color,just add a little black.That wont jump out at you.Anyway,keep us posted,later on,BO
Old August 12th, 2009, 12:51 PM

Next Question!

OK - I don't disagree that the green looks good. But if it were your car would you just repaint it the green???????????????? Leaning - I'm actually 50/50 on the color.

If left green would you have the jambs ect... reshot or would you just really clean them up and save $1,500 to have the outside perfect..

I think I already know the answer. -

You have also made me realize that the OAI hood doesn't belong on that car. Thanks

Painting is tough... Tough Choices....
Old August 12th, 2009, 01:32 PM

I'm a fan of green and hence, would leave it green. Not only is it the original color, but it's also cheaper to have done.

No OAI hood or stripes. As stated above, I think it looks sporty enough with the wheels. Very cool ride.

Additionally, I like leaving cars their "period correct" colors. Way too many cars have been changed from green/gold to red or blue/black. One day, people are going to think cars never came in brown, green or gold with the same colors for interiors. To me, it's yet another thing that makes these cars unique and stand out even further from modern vehicles that seemingly all come with the same body styling, plastic molding, and monotone interiors (in gray or tan).
Old August 12th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Registered

My car was blue and will be blue again, reason I said blue.

I would stick with the green too, really nice shade. Some greens are really bad, look like that icky slimy seaweed that always gets stuck on your fishhook.
How about ghost striping? Then you can have your cake and eat it too.
Old August 12th, 2009, 03:08 PM

not only would I leave it green, I would not paint it. Hard to tell from pics but I am a fan of survivors. I have done zero paintwork to any of my 3, and I do not worry if I get a ding or a stone chip (well, the worry passes) If they were perfect, I would be frantically anxious.

I say detail it and drive it.

$200, done.
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:12 PM

Talking

To be honest,no,i would not leave it green if it were my car,nor would i leave the wood grain.That being said its not mine,the one i had [72' vista]was blue w/woodgrain and the rust on the top tied it all together nicely.HAHAHAHA!I must've misread the price quote.I thought it was more like 5-600 difference,which would be a good deal.I'd question 1500,unless hes going to remove all doors,hood ,tailgate and tear them down,to paint,then i could see it being that much,ask...he should'nt mind explaining.I like brite colors,i'm also fond of primer.Its a painter thing,later on,BO
Old August 15th, 2009, 11:13 PM

I have a 70 Cutlass S that is also Aspen Green, and I intend to repaint it the same color. As noted above this has both historic value (period correctness, factory originality) and current value (uniqueness), but it also has personal value (I like it!). The door jambs will get redone too, but that's partly because they need it and partly because I'm a stickler for completeness. It's a personal failing, but it would just bug me no end to have the outer skin painted and not have all the matching surfaces done as well.

I get lots of people advising me to change mine to a more contemporary (and more common) color, but the way I see it, changing it's color would be like changing it's personality. Same goes for my vinyl top - everyone says junk it, but not only do I intend to replace it, I intend to keep it the same dark green color (despite the current difficulty in finding such). Your Vista Cruiser has a unique, classic 70s personality with it's Aspen Green paint and woodgrain panels, and I think it would be a good choice to continue on that way.

That's my 2 cents, and it's probably over-priced at that...
Old August 23rd, 2009, 09:39 PM

A decent price on the paint and body work, if it's high-end work. I like the color of your car - nice ride.