General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

'70 Cutlass-Which model came with cowl hood and rear spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2019, 11:58 AM

'70 Cutlass-Which model came with cowl hood and rear spoiler?

Newbie question...

Which 1970 Cutlass came with a cowl hood, wide stripes and rear spoiler?

Was is only the 442 or is there other models, like the Supreme, that could have come this way? Or could they have been special ordered separtely?

thanks,

Pat

Last edited by jpatfarrell; June 17th, 2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old June 17th, 2019, 01:39 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jpatfarrell
Newbie question...

Which 1970 Cutlass came with a cowl hood, wide stripes and rear spoiler?

Was is only the 442 or is there other models, like the Supreme, that could have come this way? Or could they have been special ordered separtely?

thanks,

Pat
No Oldsmobile ever came from the factory with a "cowl hood". Cowl induction is a Chevy thing. In 1970 the W-30, W-31, Rallye 350, and Indy Pace Car replicas came with the fiberglass twin scoop O.A.I. hood as standard equipment. This hood was also optionally available from the factory on all 4bbl 2dr Cutlass models under RPO W25. Today you can't find a 1970-72 car that DOESN'T have a reproduction fiberglass hood. Nearly none of these are original.

The wide side stripes were only used on the W-30 and W-31 cars in 1970-72. Again, today, EVERY 70-72 Cutlass has them.

The wing was optional on 2dr hardtops and post cars, even on the W-cars. Contrary to what you see today, the factory never put the wing on a convertible.
Old June 17th, 2019, 02:00 PM
Old School Olds

Welcome home Joe!
Old June 17th, 2019, 02:06 PM

Hi Joe,

Thanks for all the great info.

I have a '70 Cutlass Supreme convertible that I am restoring. Prior to me getting the car it sat for 12+ years at a small paint and body shop. During that time the owner had them put on the cowl hood and rear spoiler along with doing a fair amount body work. Apparently the owner (who was a good friend of the shop owner) ran out of money or just gave up a long time ago and just last year asked the shop owner sale the car. I bought it about 6 months ago.

I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with it style and paint wise now that I have it in running condition. Don't want to show the car just want a good looking, head turner to take on short day trips. So that is why I was curious as to which ones had the cowl hood and/or spoiler.

thanks,

Pat
Old June 17th, 2019, 03:55 PM

Since they're already on the car, I would leave them. Well, I'd probably remove the rear wing as I think those look goofy on convertibles.
Old June 19th, 2019, 08:36 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Wide stripes... are you referring to the hood or the side of the body? Joe answered the body questions. There was a couple of strip options available for a CS. All RPO W25 OAI hoods got the special hood paint scheme stripes on all cars ordered with the W25 option.

The wing wasn't available on a 70-72 CS. The CS vert or coupe trunk profile was not designed for it. The S trunk was.
And the only 70-72 Olds A-body cars that had the trunk stripes was the 70 pace car and 72 H/O. That's another one that irritates Olds guys.

I have seen a couple of 70-72 CS Verts with the OAI hood, (Not sure if they were RPOs, memory says one was). One was a plum color similar to Burdandy Mist or Cordovan (68 Camaro) with a black top. The hood did not have stripes. And NO rear spoiler. I thought to myself now that's nice. The OAI kind of blended in. Well done I say. Try it without the stripes.

Last edited by droldsmorland; June 19th, 2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old June 20th, 2019, 05:09 AM

Yes I was referring to the wide stripes on the hood.

The attached photo is what I would like my Cutlass to look like. Since the cowl hood and rear spoiler came with my car I will probably use them.

Comments???????

What is the name for the color blue on this car? What is the name for the white used for the stripes?

I restored a '69 Corvette many year ago and it was a similiar bright blue and I believe it was called "Lemans Blue".

thanks,

Pat
Old June 20th, 2019, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by jpatfarrell
Since the cowl hood and rear spoiler came with my car I will probably use them.

Comments???????
Yes, please stop calling that hood a "cowl" hood. It is a "OAI" hood, or a "W25" hood. Thanks.
Old June 20th, 2019, 08:43 AM

I don't know what that blue is called, but I like it. Car looks really good.Original or not.
Old June 20th, 2019, 10:35 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/

Stencils are available for the hood. Try it without first. You can lay them on the hood dry for another look. I'll bet you will like the sleeper mode w/o the stripes. I prefer that look on a CS or other car not trying to mimic the RPO ordered cars...442 then yes, stripes of course. The darker the color the better with the strip delete. Ill look for a pic of that purple car. I know I have it somewhere.
Old June 20th, 2019, 10:53 AM
Jeff

Viking Blue is the name you're looking for, and keep on calling it a cowl hood if you want. Drives the purists here completely batty. We all know what you mean with the terminology.
Old June 20th, 2019, 12:00 PM

Yeah, we know what he means, but it's incorrect on multiple counts. It would be a more appropriate to call it a ram air hood. A cowl induction hood has an air inlet to the carb at the rear of the hood, in the high pressure area right in front of the windshield.
Old June 20th, 2019, 12:25 PM
Jeff

Gotcha

Originally Posted by Fun71
Yeah, we know what he means, but it's incorrect on multiple counts. It would be a more appropriate to call it a ram air hood. A cowl induction hood has an air inlet to the carb at the rear of the hood, in the high pressure area right in front of the windshield.
I'm just having fun with you guys by jokingly provoking y'all.
Old June 20th, 2019, 05:25 PM

Thanks to almost everyone for your comments and information......
Old June 20th, 2019, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
No Oldsmobile ever came from the factory with a "cowl hood". Cowl induction is a Chevy thing. In 1970 the W-30, W-31, Rallye 350, and Indy Pace Car replicas came with the fiberglass twin scoop O.A.I. hood as standard equipment. This hood was also optionally available from the factory on all 4bbl 2dr Cutlass models under RPO W25. Today you can't find a 1970-72 car that DOESN'T have a reproduction fiberglass hood. Nearly none of these are original.

The wide side stripes were only used on the W-30 and W-31 cars in 1970-72. Again, today, EVERY 70-72 Cutlass has them.

The wing was optional on 2dr hardtops and post cars, even on the W-cars. Contrary to what you see today, the factory never put the wing on a convertible.
I have occasionally seen a few 442's that have very different side stripes. They have one 3/8" stripe and one 1/4" stripe on the passenger's and driver's side of the car. They seem to be extremely rare. I see more wide W30 stripes today than I saw in 1970 when I purchased my W30 new?
The same holds true for the W25 hood. I see many more today than I did on the streets in 1970.
Regarding the wing, I never saw one (1) on a convertible in 1970, and they were not available as an option.. Today, I see plenty, and I don't get it since the wing was not available on convertibles in 1970.
I guess to each their own?