General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

69 Olds 442 Tune up

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2020, 10:22 AM

69 Olds 442 Tune up

I know this subject has been beaten to death but I guess I just wanted some input.
My 69 442 is due for a tune up, I am thinking about either keeping the points ignition, converting over to HEI, even looking at the Breakerless se Ignition kit that does away with the points.
I have all the necessary tools (dwell meter, timing light) to keep it stock with the points.
The car runs fine the way it is with the points ignition. Did I just answer my own question?

Anyway just looking for some input.
Thanks
Old December 21st, 2020, 10:33 AM
Administrator

If your comfortable with points, then yes you answered your own question. Points replacement units and HEI are viable alternatives, its a personal choice.
Old December 21st, 2020, 10:42 AM
Randy C.

I installed a Pertronix ignition kit in my '68 to replace the points. After running with it for awhile, I decided just to keep the points ignition in my '69. Both run fine - absolutely no problems with either. I don't do any hard or extensive driving with either car, though, that if I had it to do over again I would just stay with the points ignition in the '68. I could have saved a couple hundred bucks!

Randy C.
'68 4-4-2 convertible (Best Of Class, 2011 OCA Nationals in Reno)
'69 4-4-2 convertible (a nice clean, well-optioned driver!)
Old December 21st, 2020, 10:47 AM

I appreciate the responses,
The Breakerless kit is pretty expensive, sure can buy many sets of points for the price of their kit.
Old December 21st, 2020, 06:11 PM

What I've found is the basics..

Good compression engine to start with .

basic ignition, new plug wires if old., points, cap, condensor, etc

BUT I have found that if your carb hasn''t been redone and with the ethanol gas. One my not be getting the performance one would like..

Had a Greg 'Sparky' Kalkhoff do just a basic carb rebuild, no replating as it is just a driver.

Holy mackrel what a difference!! OMG

Never ran this good before..

Good Luck

Fred
Old December 21st, 2020, 10:23 PM

tmd442,
If you want QUALITY tune up parts and --- a DELCO U.S.A. made Distributor Cap with Copper Contacts !!! --- with Spark Plugs, just over $ 100 .... Your last tune up ever !!!!

Always best to simply call me --- Craig --- 516 - 485 - 1935 .....
Old December 22nd, 2020, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by tmd442
My 69 442 is due for a tune up, I am thinking about either keeping the points ignition, converting over to HEI, even looking at the Breakerless se Ignition kit that does away with the points.
I've seen too many failed "aftermarket" points-replacement kits to have any faith in them. I won't own a car with points ignition.

Everything I have that came with points has been converted to an OEM electronic ignition--Genuine GM (Delco) HEI. I've had some MSD spark-boxes triggered by OEM electronic ignitions; and I've gone away from that on all but one vehicle (where I still want the built-in MSD rev-limiter.)

Originally Posted by mobileparts
tmd442,
If you want QUALITY tune up parts and --- a DELCO U.S.A. made Distributor Cap with Copper Contacts !!!
Copper??? Sure you don't mean "Brass"? I've never seen a distributor cap with copper contacts. They'd be corroded green in short order. Brass doesn't corrode like aluminum or copper, but it doesn't conduct like aluminum or copper, either.
Old December 22nd, 2020, 03:57 AM

I still love my point distributors. However, for my older cars I have purchased and installed Capacitive Spark Discharge ignition boxes from MSD. {MSD 6A)

When you do this, the coil voltage is stored and released from the box and the points become just a low current trigger. You will find that the points basically last forever after this. You can easily hide the box, if you don't like the appearance. The advantage to this is that you retain your stock timing curve and will now have a series of sparks at lower RPMs. This is especially helpful for cold weather warm up and overall drivability. Even just jockeying cars around the garage, I never have the black soot on the garage floor. My units are the older analog models. The new ones are digital but still work with the same principles. Check it out.

MSD 6201 Digital 6A Ignition Control (holley.com)

Rick
Old December 22nd, 2020, 05:26 AM
Administrator

To me, those ignition boxes just add another failure point in the chain for a relatively stock non-racing application.
Old December 22nd, 2020, 07:16 AM
Oldsdruid

If you stick with points, find OLD STOCK parts, made before mid-80s if possible. Delco-Remy, Standard Motor Parts/Blue Streak, NAPA Echlin, Filko, Atlas are all good brands. Even older Wells are good.

Sure, they were made to last only 12-15000 miles, and cheap ones give some points bounce at high RPM, but they are simple and reliable.

GM HEI is a good option but keep a spare module in the car. That goes double for any aftermarket electronic ignition system since it's doubtful a parts store would have replacement on the shelf.
Old December 22nd, 2020, 07:29 AM

Seems to me to leave well enough alone,
I plan on purchasing echling tune up parts from NAPA.
I did learn the lesson when my HEI module died on my 76 Cutlass and I had to tow it home.

Old December 22nd, 2020, 08:19 AM
Oldsdruid

Echlin QC is still pretty good so you should be fine.

I try to keep that old stock stuff around. No more demand than there is for it now, new production is invariably made "good enough" but not like it was even 30 years ago.

I haven't looked in years so DK how good Mallory and Accel points are now. They used to be top shelf. I'll say this- an Accel is the only coil I ever had to fail. Once the thing got hot you were walking.
Old December 22nd, 2020, 08:37 AM

I ordered Breakerless SE over a year ago from 3 places, I cancelled each order because of the wait to get them. I wasted almost two months. I installed Pertronix but it never really ran good at all RPM's without constantly messing with timing. I put the points back and it has been running great since. I keep a spare condenser with me since those are the most likely to fail, I also have a NOS Delco.
Old December 22nd, 2020, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Echlin QC is still pretty good so you should be fine.

I try to keep that old stock stuff around. No more demand than there is for it now, new production is invariably made "good enough" but not like it was even 30 years ago.

I haven't looked in years so DK how good Mallory and Accel points are now. They used to be top shelf. I'll say this- an Accel is the only coil I ever had to fail. Once the thing got hot you were walking.
I heard the accel points are now made in China, not 100% sure if it's true.
Old December 22nd, 2020, 12:04 PM
Oldsdruid

All the more reason to search out the NOS and NORS parts.