General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

65 JS1 auto to 4 speed changover

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2016, 05:05 PM

65 JS1 auto to 4 speed changover

Hi all,
I've been looking for a while for just the right 4 speed big car, and just haven't found the right car. Either way too pricey, way too common (Impala), or just plain junk.

At any rate, I'm just thinking of changing the JS1 over to 4 speed, and doing a frame on refresh.

Big Olds not really my expertise, but I do like the old car. So, I'm trying to get an idea of what is reasonable to find, parts wise, or if it's even reasonable to attempt, with the objective being very original in function and appearance.

Obviously, I would need a console. I suspect that will be the biggest drawback, as far as availability. Any help on other JS1 exclusive parts would be helpful to me.

Any input would be appreciated, and feel free to try to talk me out of it, lol!

Thanks, Jim
Old November 22nd, 2016, 05:13 PM

i think youd be surprised just how much of that stuff survived..ive seen many consoles...

ebay and here..i look at 4 speed stuff on ebay all the time..theres lots of it, but it comes here and there...when someone puts something up, for 2 or 3 weeks it comes out of the wood work...
Old November 22nd, 2016, 05:35 PM

You dont really need a console to do the 4spd, it was an option on some B-bodys but perhaps the Sfire and Jetstar it was included. 4 speed consoles are pricey! And that would be the easy part!. Finding factory Olds b body stick parts is very tough and Olds specific like the Z bar and pedals. Other GM like Impala and Pontiac are not the same. Of course you could fabricate the needed parts. You also need a long tail Muncie trans. So what i am saying is you really must want to do the swap bad or forget it.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 07:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
4 speed consoles are pricey! And that would be the easy part!. Finding factory Olds b body stick parts is very tough and Olds specific like the Z bar and pedals.
^^^THIS!

No, Cutlass parts do not interchange for the clutch pedal and linkage, nor to parts from other GM full size cars. Manual trans parts for the B-body Olds are rare and priced accordingly when you do find them. If you don't want to wait for a search, then you are looking at custom-fabricated using street rod parts. A hydraulic throwout bearing will be much easier than trying to find the correct Z-bar. Of course, you still have the problem of the crank not being drilled for the pilot bearing.
Old November 25th, 2016, 06:52 AM

For an undrilled crank I have used a Ford pilot bushing(has large out side dim and right size guide hole) in Olds but you need to cut 1/2" off the input shaft.

Johnny
Old November 26th, 2016, 03:16 PM

I just drill the crank about a 1/2 inch in. just a bit larger than the input shaft.
i use a oilite bearing or use the adapter brg that is sold.

Gene
Old December 4th, 2016, 08:41 AM

Ah, the voices of reason, lol! I appreciate the input.

While I know not the easiest task, I probably wouldn't do restoration for a living, if I were only willing to take the easiest road. One of the issues with this car, while not very common, it lacks the desirability and following to be of significant monetary value, hence I have to be careful not to bury myself alive in it. That's the main reason I just drive it, and enjoy it.

That being said, I'm trying to piece together a console at this point. I need the console to be right, or as close to it as possible, for my own personal preference. I think I've got most of it thought through, and being able to build it will be the determining factor of going forward. The rest of the mechanical parts I'll be able to reasonably replicate, and do have access to the correct transmission. The crankshaft I'll just have drilled for the bearing, as I will probably go through the motor.

I keep seeing that blue 4 speed JS1 pop up from time to time, but I'm pretty convinced I would be buried alive in that one. Just way to rough for the money. I did notice Mr. Shubert's JS1 in the January Hemmings Muscle Machines magazine, what a beautiful car! Certainly renewed my motivation. I don't know if many of you get that magazine, but the December issue had a spread on a 442, and seems to be overall inclusive of Oldsmobiles of the era.

At any rate, thanks for the input, I'll throw in some photo's of the "BBW 442" in the event I make any progress.

Jim