General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

442 grill badges

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2009, 06:56 AM

442 grill badges

I have a quick question regarding the color of the 442 numbers in the grill. I have a red car and the numbers are also red. When I am done with this car it will not be red. I have searched the internet for photos of this detail and each time I find a photo the car is also red.

My question is are the 442 numbers supposed to be red on all cars or are they body color. I am repainting the inside of the numbers and am trying to get it reight the first time. This is a 71

Now that it is snowing in WI I have alot of time to get these details right

Thanks for your time

Kevin R
Old December 6th, 2009, 07:25 AM

Red, regardless of body color..
Old December 6th, 2009, 07:50 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

If your car is a 71,shouldn't the 442 grill number be black with the chrome edge of the number as an outline?

Check the online parts houses,all the grill number they sell for 71's are black.

Old December 6th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin
If your car is a 71,shouldn't the 442 grill number be black with the chrome edge of the number as an outline?

Check the online parts houses,all the grill number they sell for 71's are black.

Correct. 1971 have black numbers, 1972s have red.
Old December 6th, 2009, 05:10 PM

Thanks for all of your responses. I have painted them black. This car was a combination of alot of different parts. This must have been a 72 grill. I usaully surf on Year One's site, but now I see OPGI has more photo's
Thanks again for the quick answers
Kevin R
Old December 6th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by KevinBN7
I have a quick question regarding the color of the 442 numbers in the grill. I have a red car and the numbers are also red. When I am done with this car it will not be red. I have searched the internet for photos of this detail and each time I find a photo the car is also red.

My question is are the 442 numbers supposed to be red on all cars or are they body color. I am repainting the inside of the numbers and am trying to get it reight the first time. This is a 71

Now that it is snowing in WI I have alot of time to get these details right

Thanks for your time

Kevin R
Hey Kevin R

Here's a correct looking set of 442 emblems on a 71 442. Also note the subtle differences in the stone shield rockets. This 71 is somewhat customized but the grills are correct and so are the numbers.

71442front.jpg?t=1260163001

and here's what they look like in 1972. The 442 numbers are actually a reddish orange color. I have a set sitting downstairs in the garage.

IMG_1000.jpg?t=1260163089

Does that help?
Old December 7th, 2009, 05:34 AM

Holy confusing! This 71 shows no color. The rocket I have has no background, which looks correct given these photos.

These pictures lead me to the next question. The headlight bezels on my car are black with the silver outline. This 71 shows all silver. Is this option by year or just prefference?

I am officially going to stop trying too hard and make the car look good based on the parts I have.

Thanks again for the replies

KR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
grill 442.jpg (50.3 KB, 11 views)
Old December 7th, 2009, 05:45 AM

Thanks for all of your responses. I have painted them black. This car was a combination of alot of different parts. This must have been a 72 grill. I usaully surf on Year One's site, but now I see OPGI has more photo's
Thanks again for the quick answers
Kevin R
IMHO, Fusick guys know more about Olds.

http://www.fusick.com/
Old December 7th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Captain of my ship

Most of the rocket emblems I have seen from this era are usuallt on black or red. The 442 #s on the 72 are red and should look the same for the 71 except be black. I have seen a couple in pics where it looks like they have been turned all chrome. Whatever turns your crank really. if you are going to turn it into a show car then ask some experts on what the correct colors were for your 71.
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Holy confusing! This 71 shows no color. The rocket I have has no background, which looks correct given these photos.
These pictures lead me to the next question. The headlight bezels on my car are black with the silver outline. This 71 shows all silver. Is this option by year or just prefference?
I am officially going to stop trying too hard and make the car look good based on the parts I have.
Thanks again for the replies
KR
KR, sorry. The 71 emblem is actually black inside with silver outline. The headlamp bezels are correct. They were unpainted in 71. The 72 is correct, it's basically the same bezel painted black except for the outline area.

Here's one that shows the detail of the numbers and stone shield rocket better...Also notice the same correct for 71 (all Cutlass models) silver headlight bezels

71 Stone shield rockets don't have color because they are simply pot metal castings mounted to the sheild. In 72 the emblem was reworked to be solid with black background and black in the rocket exhaust and between the trim lines. FYI, even produced new from GM the paint lines aren't perfect.

I agree with your statement about making the car look good to suit your expectations. Mine's not a trailer queen, but I just am picky about when it goes outside - no rain or snow. I'm trying to make it look fairly close to original because that's my goal, and it keeps me happy with how it is presented. Good decision on your part to have an end goal with how it should look. Sometimes it's too easy to get carried away with perfection......God knows, my wife tells me that all the time