General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

40yr old car is falling apart !

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2012, 06:52 PM

Take a cheapo wrench and grind it so it would fit. Then toss it in the trunk and have it marked "special lower PS bolt tool".
Old March 14th, 2012, 07:18 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Take a cheapo wrench and grind it so it would fit. Then toss it in the trunk and have it marked "special lower PS bolt tool".
Good idea , I may have to do that .
Old March 14th, 2012, 09:43 PM
NOVICE car nut

I was thinking I may start playing Benny Hill Show music while I'm working on my car ... It would seem appropriate . No slaps in the head though .
Old March 15th, 2012, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
I was thinking I may start playing Benny Hill Show music while I'm working on my car ... It would seem appropriate . No slaps in the head though .
Sounds like you need to compile a music video the next time you do a repair and put that tune in there also. Just make sure you bleep out the foul language for posting on this site...
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:57 AM
NOVICE car nut

Sounds like you need to compile a music video the next time you do a repair and put that tune in there also. Just make sure you bleep out the foul language for posting on this site...
I would have to find a way to speed the film up then , just like on the show . It would be real funny to see someone in fast motion whip a wrench down and it bounces back up and hits them in the face with that music playing too .
Old March 15th, 2012, 11:41 AM
NOVICE car nut

I Got It !

Once I had the correct wrench I was done in 5 minutes ! ( pic 1 ) and here's a pic of both belts on ( the camara angle looks funny , but everything is lined up good )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
21968.jpg (99.7 KB, 15 views)
76801.jpg (117.4 KB, 15 views)
Old March 15th, 2012, 03:08 PM
NOVICE car nut

To adjust your mixture:
  1. <LI itxtNodeId="161" itxtHarvested="0">Adjust dwell, timing, and valve lash (if you've got solid lifters) <LI itxtNodeId="160" itxtHarvested="0">Adjust idle speed (in Neutral for MT, D for AT) <LI itxtNodeId="159" itxtHarvested="0">Using a vacuum gauge and a tachometer, turn in the mixture screws a little bit at a time (like about ¼ of a turn) until the vacuum and speed start to drop <LI itxtNodeId="158" itxtHarvested="0">Readjust the speed screw to get back to the idle you want <LI itxtNodeId="157" itxtHarvested="0">Keep turning the mixture screws in until you are sure speed and vacuum have JUST started to drop and then readjusting speed - you'll get to a point where if you turn it in any more, you lose speed and vacuum that you can't get back by adjusting the speed screw - that's where you want to be. <LI itxtNodeId="156" itxtHarvested="0">Some instructions will say to turn both screws in an additional ¼ of a turn at this point - basically, just put them where it runs best on the street.
  2. If you get to a point where you're not sure whether one or the other screws is making a difference, just turn it in bigger arcs and look and listen - like ½ turn clockwise, then ½ turn counterclockwise - ONE of these will make the engine go slower - if it's counterclockwise, you're too rich, if it's clockwise, you're close to the right adjustment.
- Eric

I'm also going to be messing with this real soon !

lol , ok well that didn't copy and paste very good from my other thread !
Old March 15th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

lol , ok well that didn't copy and paste very good from my other thread !
Yup, it had me confoosed. Thought for a second you were trying to be a 'puter'.

Just for my reference, who did you get the PS pressure hose (the right styled one) from? I got the generic one I'm not happy with from NAPA and it was pretty expensive. I will prolly go with ILT unless you can tell me a source that has the correct hose for less. thx Bry

Glad to see you got that PS pump and belt on ok. Like you I find that the right tool for the job makes the work go faster and 'friendlier'.
Old March 15th, 2012, 05:27 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by Allan R
Yup, it had me confoosed. Thought for a second you were trying to be a 'puter'.

Just for my reference, who did you get the PS pressure hose (the right styled one) from? I got the generic one I'm not happy with from NAPA and it was pretty expensive. I will prolly go with ILT unless you can tell me a source that has the correct hose for less. thx Bry

Glad to see you got that PS pump and belt on ok. Like you I find that the right tool for the job makes the work go faster and 'friendlier'.
I ordered that hose for the " 76 Olds " with the crazy fittings , and I got it at O'reilly Auto parts . I'll have to look and see on my receipt what the part # is . I will have to check for the price too .... It was under $20
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:47 PM

I would have to find a way to speed the film up then , just like on the show . It would be real funny to see someone in fast motion whip a wrench down and it bounces back up and hits them in the face with that music playing too .
That would be funny! Tell you what - you tape it, send it to me, then i will edit in the music! I am pretty good with making videos...
This is one that really needs the Benny Hill music added to it - just the right speed!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGPxx...eature=related
I got a good laugh at it...
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Rob, when you were re-doing your AC and had the fan out, did you run into anything like this?
Old March 15th, 2012, 07:07 PM
NOVICE car nut

That looks like the bottom of my toilet
Old March 15th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Naw, it's actually a VIN stamping for that car!
Old March 15th, 2012, 07:17 PM
NOVICE car nut

Naw, it's actually a VIN stamping for that car!
I guess I didn't see that , I did not know they even put the vin # there too.
Old March 16th, 2012, 10:34 AM
NOVICE car nut

Allen , here's some info on that hose you asked about... $19.99 at O'reilly Auto Parts . part # 70273 along with a pic . I tried to send this to you in a PM , but I could never figure out how to add a pic in a PM
Attached Images
38582.jpg (8.9 KB, 5 views)
Old March 16th, 2012, 10:55 AM

Rob, when you were re-doing your AC and had the fan out, did you run into anything like this?
No stampings that I saw...

That looks like the bottom of my toilet
Geez - I've never seen the bottoms of my crappers. I feel like I am missing out now...
Attached Images
fw5.jpg (71.0 KB, 62 views)
Old March 16th, 2012, 11:06 AM
NOVICE car nut

No stampings that I saw...

Geez - I've never seen the bottoms of my crappers. I feel like I am missing out now...
You are missing out on all the fun ! If you ever had to replace the wax ring on a toilet , or the toilet itself and seen the bottom ... that's what it looks like . but not your pic though , I'm not sure what those small pipes are sticking out the bottom , must be one of those fancy French toilets !

all joking aside , I'm interested to see if anything is stamped on mine when I dismantle it .

Last edited by oldsguybry; March 16th, 2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old March 16th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Unless you're in the building trades, you never see the bottom side of a toilet bowl during the years "BC" ("Before Children").

In the years, "AC," though, you are likely to see more of it than ever wanted to.

You don't know fear until you've heard the FLUSH sound followed by a tiny Uh oh , or the sound of tiny feet running out of the bathroom to hide.

- Eric
Old March 16th, 2012, 01:51 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Unless you're in the building trades, you never see the bottom side of a toilet bowl during the years "BC" ("Before Children").

In the years, "AC," though, you are likely to see more of it than ever wanted to.

You don't know fear until you've heard the FLUSH sound followed by a tiny Uh oh , or the sound of tiny feet running out of the bathroom to hide.

- Eric
my kids don't even bother saying uh oh , they just leave the room !
Old March 16th, 2012, 07:01 PM

my kids don't even bother saying uh oh , they just leave the room !
But water fountain sounds are supposed to be SOOTHING!!
Old March 16th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You don't know fear until you've heard the FLUSH sound followed by a tiny Uh oh , or the sound of tiny feet running out of the bathroom to hide.- Eric
You mean like when 2 kids go in and only 1 kid comes out??? UH OH!!!
Old March 16th, 2012, 07:53 PM

You mean like when 2 kids go in and only 1 kid comes out??? UH OH!!!
LOL!
Or later you are wondering where the dog or cat is...
Old March 20th, 2012, 07:26 PM
NOVICE car nut

It's NOT Over Yet !

Well , I can still hear that noise on start up when car is cold that prompted me to start replacing things . I bought yet ANOTHER belt because the other one stretched and the PS pump was at the end of the adjustment , so now everything is good that way finally , but the noise still haunts me . I thought maybe it was the slight pully misalignment , but if so , why did the last PS pump last 10yrs ? so that's not it . Is it possible that the water pump or the PS pump I just bought is bad ? I thought maybe it could of been the fan itself on the end of the water pump , but not sure ... and I dont think I want to be sticking any long pipe or hose around there while the car is running to listen to see what component is making the racket. I'm gonna add more info to this , but I gotta get back to work brb
Old March 20th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Bry, that just sux. You sure it's not the alt? It's in the general same location as the PS and that's where your noise is, right? Try undoing the alt belt and see if the noise goes away..just a thought.

Is it possible to get 2 bad parts in a row? Ummm, gosh yes. Hopefully not though.
Old March 20th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Timing chain?

- Eric
Old March 20th, 2012, 09:55 PM
NOVICE car nut

Timing chain?

- Eric

Possible , I took both belts off again and NO NOISE , but the minute I put them on again , there it was . I checked the alt again , and it's not that.

Here's the worse part .... I could hear a on & off squeek kinda like Sicky's car was making when the bearing spun , but a lot quieter . I also hear the lower end knock on the passenger side , not real noticable until you have the hood open and your on the passenger side of the car .... This motor is toast . I seems a lot like a healthy motor that someone beat the crap out of , and then they sold it to me . I will have to find a car now that it's spring , and it looks like I'm gonna put that 455 motor in at my moms There is no point and doing anything more to the 350 , it needs to be rebuilt , and since it's not original .... bye bye

Oh I forgot to add that when I got home from work and put it it park and gave her a little rev , it sounded perfectly normal with NO noise .

Last edited by oldsguybry; March 20th, 2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old March 20th, 2012, 09:57 PM
NOVICE car nut

Bry, that just sux. You sure it's not the alt? It's in the general same location as the PS and that's where your noise is, right? Try undoing the alt belt and see if the noise goes away..just a thought.

Is it possible to get 2 bad parts in a row? Ummm, gosh yes. Hopefully not though.
It's possible one or the other is bad , I replaced the water pump and the PS pump ... nothing would surprise me anymore .
Old March 20th, 2012, 10:19 PM
NOVICE car nut

I still have a few small things to fix besides getting some tires on this thing and then it's time to put an end to this thread ! I will have to start another for the rust repair , and then a thread later on for the 455 swap ( that one will be fun , I can just feel it )

The question is .... do I get a 76 Olds PS pump , because I have to swap all the pulleys , brackets , and accessories from the 350 to the 455 ( no sense having the wrong pump on there ) .... or do I find out the hard way and try to put the 455 in with all the 455 stuff already on it ? I never seemed to of gotten a straight answer why it wouldn't work ... I'll have to go back and review , but remember this was a 455 from a 68 Toro so I know about the oil filter adaptor , and the switching of the starter from the passenger side to the driver side , other then that everything else should bolt right up including the 350 manifolds and 350 motor mounts/frame mounts . I would also need a radiator short term .

OK , I'll stop until I get to that bump in the road !

Last edited by oldsguybry; March 20th, 2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old March 21st, 2012, 11:18 AM
NOVICE car nut

The Fan Perhaps ?

I just read and commented on another thread about the fan clutch going bad , and mine spins freely with the belts on or off ... If my memory serves me right , It's suppose to move by hand but not literally spin , right ? even if it is just the fan itself that's causing the noise , I'm still gonna shoot for the 455 swap
Old March 21st, 2012, 11:41 AM

I just read and commented on another thread about the fan clutch going bad , and mine spins freely with the belts on or off ... If my memory serves me right , It's suppose to move by hand but not literally spin , right ? even if it is just the fan itself that's causing the noise , I'm still gonna shoot for the 455 swap
If you try to spin it hard, it should not make more than one revolution. Mine only makes about a quarter...
Also try to shake the fan up and down to see if the clutch bearing is bad.
Old March 21st, 2012, 11:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

If it 'freewheels"? It's probably toast. Take a look at the back to see if the seal is leaking (have to take it off to do that). Could very well be the bearings in there are done. That would definitely explain why the squeal with the belts on and not when they're off. Every so often they probably just 'are properly positioned in the race" enough not to squeal? Fan clutch is an easy replacement and cheap too. (autozone has them HD for 50.00) Rockauto is no help - they are like 90.00+shipping
Old March 21st, 2012, 01:18 PM
NOVICE car nut

cool , I'm gonna leave it for now .... I can only find a used P215-70-R14 tire , the ones I had were P225 I beleive , so I may have to spring for new ones. Then It's onto the rust deal as soon as I get a can of POR-15
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:32 PM
NOVICE car nut

The worse news I could get

I'm not sure if I'll be back ! I just received news from my wife that I'm in the way of her being her own person , so I guess I have other things to worry about now. I let you all know when my junk is for sale !!!

Later on in the evening .... I apologize , but I may have to go away for awhile until I can get things in order. I also didn't mean to bring this here ... It's been a tough road to say the least .

Last edited by oldsguybry; March 21st, 2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:19 AM

Now that really bites! I feel for ya, cause I have been in that situation too many times (though never married but almost). It took lots of willpower but finally gave up on relationships. It was all too much to handle.
On the plus side, Lady's resto helped me concentrate on a good thing and helped me get over the last failure. The friendships I made over here helped a lot also. I joined here right after that event.
I hope you guys can work something out if it was meant to be. But if not, I hope things get better for ya. Hope you still hang out over here with us!
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:24 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Wow, Bry - I'm sorry to hear that.

I kinda thought that the whole point of marriage was to keep both parties from being "their own persons." That's why it's so hard to hang out with your single friends after you get married.

I don't recall whether you had mentioned having kids - if not, this is probably for the best by a wide margin - you want these things to come up and get sorted out as early as possible.

Under the circumstances, if this progresses to the "sleeping in the yard shed" stage, you might be able to find a member near you who would be willing to help store or move your Olds stuff until things settle down...

And don't get rid of the car - at least it works, and doesn't treat you too badly .

- Eric
Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Highwayman
I swear if it wasn't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all!

OK, I'll be the designated jerk this morning to post this.

TOP 30 REASONS WHY CARS ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN.

1. You can look at pictures of nice cars all you want to and not feel like
a pervert.
2. You can lust after another car and your current car won't care.
3. You can hang any kind of car picture in your dorm room and not get in
trouble.
4. Women can't go 200 miles per hour.
5. A woman can't carry four of your friends on a road trip.
6. You can replace your car any time you want and not feel bad.
7. A car doesn't have girlfriend cars that will talk about you and tell
her that you are not good for her.
8. You can't install sub-woofers in a woman.
9. You can rub and wax a car in your driveway and not get arrested.
10. Car's don't care if you leave them in the garage overnight.
11. Cars don't care if you go on a trip for three weeks and don't call
them.
12. I f you are nice enough, your friend will almost always let you borrow
their car.
13. You can get together with friends and compare cars and not sound like
pigs.
14. Car's don't get mad at you for no reason every 28 days.
15. You can have two cars at once and they won't be jealous of each other.
16. Cars don't have relatives that you have to be nice to.
17. You can always test drive a car before making a commitment.
18. Car's come with an owners manual.
19. Your car does not care if you get fat and walk around with no shirt
on.
20. You have 100% complete control over the direction of that car at all
times.
21. You can stare at nice cars in a parking lot and your car won't care.
22. You can't put a bumper sticker that says "How's my driving? Dial
1-800- EAT-S*IT!" on a woman.
23. Car's could not care less about commitment.
24. You don't mind too much if your friends always want a ride in your
car.
25. If your car is being repaired, you can usually get a loaner car.
26. If you are 21, you can legally rent a car. 'Nuff said..
27. You can complain about how ratty your car looks and people think it's
funny.
28. You can sell your car to a complete stranger and nobody will get mad
at you.
29. A woman does not have keyless entry or remote ignition
30. and finally. There are 50 year old cars that still look good.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 11:21 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Bryon,
You know we're all here for you if you want to talk. - obviously not on forum. I would be honored to be part of your support network if you want one.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 11:58 AM
NOVICE car nut

OK, I'll be the designated jerk this morning to post this.

TOP 30 REASONS WHY CARS ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN.

1. You can look at pictures of nice cars all you want to and not feel like
a pervert.
2. You can lust after another car and your current car won't care.
3. You can hang any kind of car picture in your dorm room and not get in
trouble.
4. Women can't go 200 miles per hour.
5. A woman can't carry four of your friends on a road trip.
6. You can replace your car any time you want and not feel bad.
7. A car doesn't have girlfriend cars that will talk about you and tell
her that you are not good for her.
8. You can't install sub-woofers in a woman.
9. You can rub and wax a car in your driveway and not get arrested.
10. Car's don't care if you leave them in the garage overnight.
11. Cars don't care if you go on a trip for three weeks and don't call
them.
12. I f you are nice enough, your friend will almost always let you borrow
their car.
13. You can get together with friends and compare cars and not sound like
pigs.
14. Car's don't get mad at you for no reason every 28 days.
16. Cars don't have relatives that you have to be nice to.
17. You can always test drive a car before making a commitment.
18. Car's come with an owners manual.
19. Your car does not care if you get fat and walk around with no shirt
on.
20. You have 100% complete control over the direction of that car at all
times.
21. You can stare at nice cars in a parking lot and your car won't care.
22. You can't put a bumper sticker that says "How's my driving? Dial
1-800- EAT-S*IT!" on a woman.
23. Car's could not care less about commitment.
24. You don't mind too much if your friends always want a ride in your
car.
25. If your car is being repaired, you can usually get a loaner car.
26. If you are 21, you can legally rent a car. 'Nuff said..
27. You can complain about how ratty your car looks and people think it's
funny.
28. You can sell your car to a complete stranger and nobody will get mad
at you.
29. A woman does not have keyless entry or remote ignition
30. and finally. There are 50 year old cars that still look good.
thanks to all for the funny and caring comments , but it's time to put this thread to rest and move on to the other repairs .... Nothing is Going to Keep Me Down For Long !
Old March 22nd, 2012, 12:24 PM

This one is untrue in my case where they have to share a garage...
The neglected one DOES let me know....
Old March 22nd, 2012, 12:31 PM

Bryon,

Ouch.

My wife of 18 years had Mr. Marshall serve me with divorce papers on the day of our anniversay. Dumb ole me tought we were going out to dinner.

Quick Reply: 40yr old car is falling apart !