General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

2020 Nationals

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2018, 04:36 AM

2020 Nationals

We left the banquet early at Gettysburg to pack up. Any word on where the 2020 show will be?
Old August 7th, 2018, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Double D Farms
We left the banquet early at Gettysburg to pack up. Any word on where the 2020 show will be?
I saw a post on the OCA Facebook page this morning that no decision was made yet
Old August 7th, 2018, 09:01 AM

I had heard of 2 possible locations:

Dearborn, Michigan
Buffalo, New York

Hopefully a location will be finalized soon. If either of the ones mentioned above are chosen, I will be there again for sure.
Old August 7th, 2018, 05:13 PM
Lansing built

I talked to two of the chapter members that are part of the Motor city rockets and they said that Texas contingency was not so kind during 2008 national and that Pat Yancey never thanked the chapter or told them a job well done at the banquet or any other time there after! Per these two members "the chapter has declined OCA on the 2020 nationals".

Pat
Old August 8th, 2018, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by 1970cs
I talked to two of the chapter members that are part of the Motor city rockets and they said that Texas contingency was not so kind during 2008 national and that Pat Yancey never thanked the chapter or told them a job well done at the banquet or any other time there after! Per these two members "the chapter has declined OCA on the 2020 nationals".

Pat
A lot of changes have occurred in the last ten years. Just an excuse in MHO.
Old August 8th, 2018, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by edzolz
A lot of changes have occurred in the last ten years. Just an excuse in MHO.
Especially since Pat Yancey hasn't been president of the OCA for many years now. Kind of unfair to hold a grudge against the current leadership which had nothing to do with any slight felt by the Motor City people 10 years ago.
Old August 8th, 2018, 07:12 AM

X2 I was there at the show. However things have changed and we would love to have the Nationals return to Dallas...
Old August 8th, 2018, 09:48 AM

Buffalo is more of a haul than Gettysburg for me but I'd be up for it if the car makes it. Stubborn as I am I'd still bring the Cutlass, although anymore brake downs and I might just do the unthinkable and put an LS drivetrain in it. Anyone been to the seemingly huge classic car museum in MI. I passed dozens of signs while I was headed to the REO museum last summer. If they have the nationals in MI that would put that museum on the map for me.
Old August 8th, 2018, 09:57 AM

Anyone been to the seemingly huge classic car museum in MI. I passed dozens of signs while I was headed to the REO museum last summer.
The Gilmore Car Museum? Great place, I've been there 3 times this year for different shows. I will be there again in September for the muscle car show. The Gilmore is considered one of the best car museums in the U.S.
Old August 8th, 2018, 10:39 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

The NAOC (National Antique Oldsmobile Club of America) will be holding their national meet in Dallas in 2019. There has been no discussion within the NTOC of holding OCA nationals in Dallas.
Old August 8th, 2018, 10:44 AM

The problem with holding the 2020 Nationals in Texas is that it doesn't do much for geographic diversity with the 2019 Nationals having been held not that far away in Kansas. 2016 was in Kingsport, Tennessee, 2017 was in Albuquerque, 2018 in Gettysburg, 2019 in Wichita, so 2020 ought to be again somewhere in the east, which makes Buffalo or the Michigan area a reasonable choice. Look at Dallas or the middle part of the country again for 2021.
Old August 8th, 2018, 10:52 AM

For anyone's interest, here is a list of OCA Nationals locations going back to 1983. Interesting that, between 1984 and 2002, the Nationals were held in Lansing four times. But since the death of Oldsmobile, the Nationals have not been back there.

Last edited by jaunty75; August 8th, 2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old August 8th, 2018, 11:14 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by jaunty75
For anyone's interest, here is a list of OCA Nationals locations going back to 1983. Interesting that, between 1984 and 2002, the Nationals were held in Lansing four times. But since the death of Oldsmobile, the Nationals have not been back there.
Do you think that's because they have Homecoming in Lansing every June?
Old August 8th, 2018, 11:19 AM

Possibly, but, on the other hand, wasn't the Homecoming event held during the '80s and '90s as well? And the Homecoming is just a chapter car show, right, not an OCA-sponsored event? It's put on by the R. E. Olds chapter? On the other hand, I can see the point of not holding the Nationals in the same city where a big Olds event was just held a month or two before, especially now that Oldsmobile is no longer present there.
Old August 8th, 2018, 05:27 PM
Lansing built

I am not a current member of the chapter, but was a former president and vice president of that chapter. Plus, I was head chairman of the homecoming show for a few years and board member for many years!

This information comes from many of the highest people in the R.E. Olds chapter. They will continue to say no to a national event due to a variety of issues! First and foremost is the average age of the chapter is 74 years old, secondly the will not accept a drop 33% in turnout due to a national event in town with in the next 60 days. Last but not least is OCA will give seed money but I don't think revenue sharing is option that either will discuss without feeling slighted.

My name and number has been dropped by several chapter members to Jerry Wilson for heading a nationals in Lansing. I am honored, Yes but I can't do it alone.

As far the comments above about the Motor city rockets, I am kind of sympathetic towards them. Heck the chapter that was hosting the Sturbridge Mass. backed out due to OCA issues which I think was bad once you have given your commitment! I think that OCA has been headed in the right direction in past few years.

Pat
Old August 8th, 2018, 09:35 PM

2022 would be the 125th anniversary of Olds it would be nice to see it in Lansing then. Combine it with Homecoming.
Old August 11th, 2019, 06:11 PM
EngineErnie

2020 Oldsmobile Nationals update

Heads up. The 2020 OCA Nationals will be held in Murfreesboro Tennessee July 28 thru August 2 2020

The host hotel will be the Embassy Suites at 1200 Conference Center Blvd and the OCA rate for reservations opens tomorrow August 12 2019

This should be a very good show given its proximity to Nashville
Old August 11th, 2019, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
I had heard of 2 possible locations:

Dearborn, Michigan
Buffalo, New York

Hopefully a location will be finalized soon. If either of the ones mentioned above are chosen, I will be there again for sure.
was at Dearborn not so long ago FORD country?????? also Homecoming is in MI EVERY year

When's the last time an OCA Nationals has been in Southern California, AZ, UT, MS,LA,AL, AR, FL, VA,WV,DE, VT, NH , ME, CT,RI ???????????????????????????????

yeah I thought so,...
Old August 11th, 2019, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by FStanley
was at Dearborn not so long ago FORD country?????? also Homecoming is in MI EVERY year

When's the last time an OCA Nationals has been in Southern California, AZ, UT, MS,LA,AL, AR, FL, VA,WV,DE, VT, NH , ME, CT,RI ???????????????????????????????

yeah I thought so,...

SInce 1983, OCA Nationals have been held in Michigan five times. In Lansing in 1984, 1987, 1997 (in conjunction with the Olds Centennial), and 2002 (105th anniversary of Olds) and, in 2008, in Dearborn. Yes, Dearborn.

As far as the other states you mention, the OCA holds meets where there is enough membership within a reasonable distance to make attendance likely to be strong. They also need a strong nearby chapter to host the event. Often more than one chapter works together to host the event. They're never going to hold it in Utah or Maine. It may never have been held in Connecticut or Rhode Island, but it was in Massachusetts in 2010. As far as the southeast, it may never have been held in Florida, but it was held in Atlanta in 1996 and in Greensboro, North Carolina in 1995.

It'll probably never be held in Phoenix because the OCA likes to hold its annual meet in the summer, and Phoenix can be 115 degrees in the summer. Unless they could find an indoor space, but Phoenix is still far from where most OCA members live. Phoenix would be a great place to hold a nationals in February, but that's never going to happen because February is the dead of winter where most OCA members live, and many OCA members who live in the snow belt put their cars in hibernation for the winter. Holding it, say, in Montana would be great for all six of the OCA members who live there, but not so good for anyone else.

Membership in the OCA is concentrated around the Great Lakes (Michigan/Indiana/Illinois/Ohio/Pennsylvania/New York), and many meets have been held in that part of the country. They held the nationals in Albuquerque in 2017, and, as nice as that was for those of us who live within a spitting distance of there, New Mexico is far from where most OCA members live, and the attendance at the Albuquerque nationals was maybe half of what a typical midwest meet gets.

The meet has been held in California only once since 1983, and that was in Santa Clara in 1986. So it's now been 33 years since a nationals was held in California, and it seems unlikely to return soon. As far as western meets, in addition to Santa Clara, the 2005 meet was held in Seattle, and the 2011 meet was held in Reno, but, interestingly, it was hosted by the Northern California Chapter. The meet was in Denver in 2001 and in Dallas in 1999 and 2006, not that either of those cities is west coast, but they're about as far west as the OCA usually gets.

The bottom line is that there are many factors to consider when choosing a location, and there is no point in holding a meet in a location where few people can get there or where there is little or no local membership to do the grunt work. Also, there is no point in holding a meet in any particular state just to hold it in that state. So people who live in Connecticut or Rhode Island or Vermont will just have to be content with a meet held in Massachusetts. People who live in Arkansas and Louisiana will have to be content with a meet held in Texas. People who live in West Virginia or Virginia will have to be content with meets held in Ohio, Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

Number of OCA Nationals by state since 1983.

MI 5
IL 3
NJ 3
OH 3
IA 2
PA 2
TN 2 (counting the 2020 meet)
TX 2

CA, CO, GA, KS, KY, MA, MN, MO, NC, NE, NM, NV, NY, WA, and WI have each hosted it once. Also, the 1994 meet was held in London, Ontario. So far, it is the only OCA nationals to be held outside the U.S.

Overall, since 1983, the nationals have been held 23 of the 48 contiguous states and in two countries. That's not bad.

Last edited by jaunty75; August 11th, 2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old August 12th, 2019, 10:18 AM
Olds Fever

Called the Embassy Suites this morning for reservations and there was no issue with obtaining a room... Beware, however, there is a NON-REFUNDABLE fee of a one day stay which I was told would be $178.43 ($149 plus all taxes).... Not really thrilled with this, but it is understandable based on all the last minute cancellations hotels deal with on OCA events like this... It is also understandable on the part of perspective customers not to have to commit that amount of money for an event that far in the future, knowing that circumstances can change in that time frame... I would think the hotel could impose the Non-Refundable fee status for a period of 30 days prior to the event instead of almost a whole year in advance... On the other hand, the Host hotel may not fill up as quickly as it has in past years based on this policy...
Old August 13th, 2019, 05:52 AM

Well, 30 days is not enough time to book an affordable flight if suddenly a bunch of rooms open up because of cancellations. -Billy