General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1970 W30 THM400, a legend gets modded.

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2020, 11:00 AM

1970 W30 THM400, a legend gets modded.

PHR (Popular Hot Rodding) 1970 took a then new, automatic 1970 W30 and went from a bone stock 13.89 elapsed time at 101.12 miles per hour to 12.65 @ 108.43 MPH with tuning and basic bolt ons. At full weight.

Run 1: 13.59 at 104.65 mph with an ACCEL Eliminator ignition kit (coil, condenser, rotor, and distributor cap) and Jardine headers

Run 2: 13.40 at 103.92 mph with Firestone slicks and International slot-style "mag" wheels

Run 3: 13.10 at 106.50 mph with a gear change from 3.42 to 4.33, Airlift airbags, and a Dixco tachometer

Run 4: 12.95 at 107.39 mph with swapped carburetor metering rods

Run 5: 12.85 at 108.43 mph with Hurst Dual-Duty racing shocks

Run 6:

The car was also entered in a few NHRA events, eventually driving to a best e.t. of 12.65 seconds at 108.43 mph, not bad at all for a nose-heavy, loaded intermediate with a curb weight of around 3,800 pounds.

Same owner since birth, quick read, with great pics.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/rare...e-project-car/
Old December 5th, 2020, 11:54 AM

Cool stuff. Thanks!
Old December 5th, 2020, 12:44 PM

Good read, thanks for posting.
Old December 5th, 2020, 01:40 PM

I went to a flea market a couple years ago. A guy had a few old Hot Rod, Car Craft, PHR, etc from the late 60s. As I was flipping pages, he puked an entire tote full of magazines, this was a big tote! He said 30 bucks, take them all! I figured the tote was worth about half that, so naturally I took them.

I spent the next several weeks going thru them, cutting out useful tech articles, road test, feature cars (including every article featuring the very car your referring to) and put them in a folder to be filed in my “library”.

I need to mention that we had recently gotten a Dalmatian puppy a couple months prior. I’m sure you with puppies can figure out where I’m going with this! Yep, the stack of magazines articles I had so lovingly cut out, separated by topic, organized, and was planning to soon add to my library was shredded by a playful, enthusiastic rowdy puppy.

Another victim of Dalmatian from Hell: we bought a new front screen door to replace the one that was falling apart. This was on a rainy Friday night, my plan was to install it the following morning. I didn’t want to leave it in the rain for the box to become soaked, didn’t want to personally become soaked carrying it to the garage, so we put it on the back porch. The dog obviously thought “hey, something new to chew on!” Next morning, I’m ready to start on the door, I find the box shredded, the bags of hardware ripped open, and the dog just starting on the instructions. Of course, the only legible part of the instructions were the Spanish part, which I can’t read. 🇱🇷 I watched a lot of YouTube videos on screen door assembly.
Old December 5th, 2020, 02:50 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by matt69olds
I spent the next several weeks going thru them, cutting out useful tech articles, road test, feature cars (including every article featuring the very car your referring to) and put them in a folder to be filed in my “library”.
So cool.

Originally Posted by matt69olds
I need to mention that we had recently gotten a Dalmatian puppy a couple months prior. I’m sure you with puppies can figure out where I’m going with this !
Yes I do, I'm a dog guy... Ughh.

One of the best things about the internet is finding articles like this, forever preserved in a sense. But I would still download or save info as possible. One thing I have noticed is uploaded info is not always complete to my liking. I once had a Carcraft issue IIRC featuring a story called Junker to Thumper. Great read about pulling a mid 70s Pontiac 455 out of a junker and testing it out from stock through mods. I have since found it online but it seems to be missing plenty of detailed info from what I remember of the original article.
Old December 6th, 2020, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by 69CSHC
PHR (Popular Hot Rodding) 1970 took a then new, automatic 1970 W30 and went from a bone stock 13.89 elapsed time at 101.12 miles per hour to 12.65 @ 108.43 MPH with tuning and basic bolt ons. At full weight.

Run 1: 13.59 at 104.65 mph with an ACCEL Eliminator ignition kit (coil, condenser, rotor, and distributor cap) and Jardine headers

Run 2: 13.40 at 103.92 mph with Firestone slicks and International slot-style "mag" wheels

Run 3: 13.10 at 106.50 mph with a gear change from 3.42 to 4.33, Airlift airbags, and a Dixco tachometer

Run 4: 12.95 at 107.39 mph with swapped carburetor metering rods

Run 5: 12.85 at 108.43 mph with Hurst Dual-Duty racing shocks

Run 6:

The car was also entered in a few NHRA events, eventually driving to a best e.t. of 12.65 seconds at 108.43 mph, not bad at all for a nose-heavy, loaded intermediate with a curb weight of around 3,800 pounds.

Same owner since birth, quick read, with great pics.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/rare...e-project-car/
Interesting article. My '70 442 factory air convertible set the record at 13.28 at 106.28MPH. My car ran in the strictly stock class. No modifications were permitted. The car was a factory air, automatic convertible with street tires, no slicks permitted; stock closed exhaust, no headers permitted; factory distributor, no electronics permitted; and my car did not have a 4:33 rear axle ratio. Convertibles were also heavier.
After setting the record, a protest was initiated and my car's engine was torn down and verified to be strictly stock. They also checked my fuel pump to verify the fuel pump was not electric.
442's run best with open exhaust, timing changes and jetting the carburetor.
I never raced the car with any modifications, not permitted by NHRA, for the strictly stock class.

Last edited by twilightblue28A; December 6th, 2020 at 06:49 PM.
Old December 7th, 2020, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by twilightblue28A
Interesting article. My '70 442 factory air convertible set the record at 13.28 at 106.28MPH. My car ran in the strictly stock class. No modifications were permitted. The car was a factory air, automatic convertible with street tires, no slicks permitted; stock closed exhaust, no headers permitted; factory distributor, no electronics permitted; and my car did not have a 4:33 rear axle ratio. Convertibles were also heavier.
After setting the record, a protest was initiated and my car's engine was torn down and verified to be strictly stock. They also checked my fuel pump to verify the fuel pump was not electric.
I never raced the car with any modifications, not permitted by NHRA, for the strictly stock class.

Reading this reminds me of the time I got protested at the track.

It was a Wednesday night test and tune at Muncie Dragway. I made it to the final round of the trophy race when my opponent complained I was running slicks in the street class. They were not slicks, I was running BFG Drag Radial. The guy was bitching and complaining they weren’t street tires. I calmly pointed out the tread, the DOT compliance, I drove the car 75 miles to the track on those tires. Guy would not shut up about it. He was driving a beat up 16 second POS S-10 with a sbc.

All for a 5 dollar trophy, which I have on display on a shelf at home. I felt like I had hit the big times being protested!
Old December 7th, 2020, 07:25 AM

Holy crap - a convertible with A/C is a heavy beast - that stock engine was making some pretty good steam to get to 106.28 MPH with that much weight. What year was that and at what track? Neat history!
Old December 7th, 2020, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
Holy crap - a convertible with A/C is a heavy beast - that stock engine was making some pretty good steam to get to 106.28 MPH with that much weight. What year was that and at what track? Neat history!
Atco Dragway, Atco, New Jersey. The year was either 1972 or 1973. I have the certificate and I will post the certificate as soon as I have a few minutes.
My car was not only a convertible with factory air conditioning, street tires, not slicks; stock exhaust, not headers; and the factory points distributor, not Accel electronic ignition.
Most people used to laugh because compared to the Chevelles, Baracuda's, Nova's, Road Runners, etc, my car was heavily optioned and spotless. The car was compared to a Cadillac instead of a "high performance" car. Many of the Car's had stickers on their cars to look the part. They also raked the rear end thinking that made their cars look intimidating.
My car had no stickers, was the stock height and was spotless, with white interior! No Sun Tech attached to the steering column.
Protests took place when a few people put up $100.00 each. My car was put in a special area and torn down to verify the car was stock. After winning the protest, I was given the cash that was put up to initiate the protest.
Old December 7th, 2020, 05:47 PM

My '70 442 factory air convertible set the record at 13.28 at 106.28MPH. My car ran in the strictly stock class. No modifications were permitted.

After setting the record, a protest was initiated and my car's engine was torn down and verified to be strictly stock.
Absolutely phenomenal !

That ladies and gents is what is known as a natural born ringer. A perfect combination of just the right hands worked on that powertrain and car when it was being put together in the factory.

(We have another fellow member who was also very lucky in this department. 442much if memory serves me correctly. He has an original 76 442 that is far quicker than conventional wisdom allows.)

Car Life's 1969 Hurst Olds (455 THM400 3.42) ran 14.1 @ 100.1 MPH test weight 4205 LBS. (curb weight 3885 LBS) 5500 RPM test shift points. That's arguably the most impressive performance by a factory stock Olds in history when you consider weight and setup.

As irritating as that must of been, your competitors were justified in requesting and paying for the tear down, and I am glad the money they put up went to you for the annoyance and inconvenience. The affirmation of your beliefs must of been one of the sweetest moments.

Atco Dragway, Atco, New Jersey.
And that will seal the deal.

Regarded as one of the quickest tracks in the country. 33 ft above sea level.

If you want to see what a car can really run at its best, this is the track. Prep is outstanding.

Last edited by 69CSHC; December 7th, 2020 at 05:52 PM. Reason: wording
Old December 8th, 2020, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by 69CSHC
Absolutely phenomenal !

That ladies and gents is what is known as a natural born ringer. A perfect combination of just the right hands worked on that powertrain and car when it was being put together in the factory.

(We have another fellow member who was also very lucky in this department. 442much if memory serves me correctly. He has an original 76 442 that is far quicker than conventional wisdom allows.)

Car Life's 1969 Hurst Olds (455 THM400 3.42) ran 14.1 @ 100.1 MPH test weight 4205 LBS. (curb weight 3885 LBS) 5500 RPM test shift points. That's arguably the most impressive performance by a factory stock Olds in history when you consider weight and setup.

As irritating as that must of been, your competitors were justified in requesting and paying for the tear down, and I am glad the money they put up went to you for the annoyance and inconvenience. The affirmation of your beliefs must of been one of the sweetest moments.

And that will seal the deal.

Regarded as one of the quickest tracks in the country. 33 ft above sea level.

If you want to see what a car can really run at its best, this is the track. Prep is outstanding.
​​​​​​i raced my car Atco New Jersey, Englishtown, New Jersey, Cecil County Dragway, and Maple Grove Dragway.
Cecil County and Maple Grove were faster than Atco.
​​​​
Old December 10th, 2020, 01:44 PM

Congrats on the record! Those are some quick E.T.s and fast times for sure. Thanks for posting. It just goes to show how powerful the W-30 Machines really are. When it comes to track records, Elevation, track prep and D.A. (density altitude) do factor into the equation.
Old December 10th, 2020, 03:35 PM

I promised to post some of my certificates. I am posting certificates for winning the State of New Jersey Championship and my certificate for winning the Delaware Valley Fall Championships. These were achieved in a 1970, 442 Convertible, Factory Air, Automatic, Convertible. Stock closed exhaust, Street tires, Original Points Ignition.

State Of New Jersey Champion, Atco Dragway, Atco, New Jersey August 5,1973. Strictly Stock Class.

State Of New Jersey Champion, Atco Dragway, Atco, New Jersey August 5,1973. Strictly Stock Class.

Delaware Valley Fall Champion, Cecil County Dragway, Cecil County, Maryland, October 28, 1973. Strictly Stock Class.
Old December 10th, 2020, 03:41 PM

So Kool, congrats! What "Street" Tires?
Old December 10th, 2020, 06:22 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

I promised to post some of my certificates. I am posting certificates for winning the State of New Jersey Championship and my certificate for winning the Delaware Valley Fall Championships. These were achieved in a 1970, 442 Convertible, Factory Air, Automatic, Convertible. Stock closed exhaust, Street tires, Original Points Ignition.

Delaware Valley Fall Champion, Cecil County Dragway, Cecil County, Maryland, October 28, 1973. Strictly Stock Class.

Harry - you’re a true legend, and it’s an honor to be a fellow member here on CO. I’m also proud to know that you were living 10 minutes from me back in ‘73 when you set those records, and probably were familiar with General Sales Oldsmobile / Cadillac in West Chester, perhaps seeing my 72 V code 442, which was sold new there and driven by the Service Manager for quite some time before I purchased it in ‘79. Glad we never raced!
Old December 10th, 2020, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Stefano
So Kool, congrats! What "Street" Tires?
Stefano,
The tires were the tires delivered with my car from my Oldsmobile Dealer, from which I ordered my car, Faulkner Oldsmobile, Cottman and Algon Avenues, Philadelphia, PA
The tires that came stock with my car were Goodyear Polyglas G70-14 with raised white letters. They were original to my car and the same tires that I raced with.
Old December 10th, 2020, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by vCode442
Harry - you’re a true legend, and it’s an honor to be a fellow member here on CO. I’m also proud to know that you were living 10 minutes from me back in ‘73 when you set those records, and probably were familiar with General Sales Oldsmobile / Cadillac in West Chester, perhaps seeing my 72 V code 442, which was sold new there and driven by the Service Manager for quite some time before I purchased it in ‘79. Glad we never raced!
Tom. Thanks for the compliment, but at the time, I stayed away from street racing, so I was safe at organized dragstrips.
I am familiar with General Sales. My mentor, and friend, Paul Mayo ordered his 1970 442 from General Sales. He gave me many tips on staging and tuning. Paul's car was a white, 4 speed, convertible, with a blue convertible top and blue interior. Gorgeous powder blue hood and side stripes.
My car was twilightblue, automatic, with a white convertible top and white interior.
Paul started strictly stock and advanced quickly way past any stock classifications. Paul's car was no longer able to be street driven. His front wheels would lift off the ground at the starting line.
Funny story: Paul used to regularly blow 4 speed M-22 transmissions while racing. He got tired of getting under his car to swap transmissions. Paul was a smart guy....Paul cut a hole in the transmission tunnel, and every time that Paul blew an M-22 transmission, Paul would put his convertible top down, and remove the transmission from inside the car, up through the open top, instead of underneath the car.
Like I had written earlier, Paul was my mentor, Paul knew 442's, and was obviously very bright.

Last edited by twilightblue28A; December 10th, 2020 at 07:11 PM.
Old December 14th, 2020, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Stefano
It just goes to show how powerful the W-30 Machines really are.
And How !

I promised to post some of my certificates.
You genuinely ran as quick, stock, technically quicker (108.44 vs 108.43) in some circumstances than a professionally modded, lighter version, conducted via a lauded publication.

In a word, outstanding. Thank you for contributing to this thread.

To fellow members Oldsmomick and oldsmoboogie my pleasure. I'm glad I opened the thread as well, now more than ever.