fuel gauge repair

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2015, 09:55 AM

fuel gauge repair

My 69 cutlass fuel guage is intermittent. I've checked the ground on the tank and it seems secure. When I pulled the gauge out, the posts on the circuit board are not seating well and one comes out when I unplug the wiring. Gauge either reads accurately or goes far past full. Twice I have reseated the pins and reinstalled the gauge and it works for a day or so then reads overfull. Any input on how to rebuild the circuit board?
Old April 30th, 2015, 06:17 PM

The gauge reading past full is a sign of an open circuit between the gauge movement and the sending unit in the tank. On mine it is due to a loose wiring connector at the sending unit. Sounds like yours is due to the loose pins on the circuit board.

There were a couple of loose pins on mine and I was able to solder them back to the board, using a large fillet at the base to support them. Years ago someone posted a repair method using a small diameter machine screw through the hollow of the pin to secure it to the board, then solder to make an electrical connection. I don't have a link to that post but hopefully someone will be able to give more info.
Old April 30th, 2015, 08:24 PM
Randy C.

I used a small machine thread screw to hold 3-4 pins onto my board. The pins were completely separated from the board. I took the board off and put the screw through and into the severed pins from the back side of the board. You have to be real careful and take it real slow but it surely worked for me. The screws threaded into the hollow pins and snugged up nicely to the board. I didn't use any solder. That was some 7-8 years ago and everything still works fine. I got the screws at a model store.

Randy C.
Old April 30th, 2015, 09:56 PM

I believe the pins would work. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by JMcB; April 30th, 2015 at 09:57 PM. Reason: I should say screwing the pins!
Old May 1st, 2015, 03:06 AM

2mm screws...pick your length...found at model aircraft and such stores. Package of six, maybe a dollar.
Old May 4th, 2015, 08:59 PM

Screws worked great. Pins are solid now and gauge is reading accurate. Thanks for the help.