Troubleshooting a 72' T T Tach....

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2014, 08:07 AM

Troubleshooting a 72' T T Tach....

I've done a search and a lot of reading but haven't found what I'm looking for. The clock works but the tach doesn't. I'm trying to figure out if it's electrical or the tach itself. Is there a quick easy way to figure out how to figure which it is? BTW, this is an original points distributor right now. Haven't figured out yet if this matters yet incase I have to buy aftermarket. Or try and find someone who rebuilds these.
Old June 8th, 2014, 08:36 AM
Just an Olds Guy

The Tic toc tax has a thorough trouble shooting guide in the 72 CSM. Do you have that manual?

It doesn't matter what distributor the car has.
Old June 8th, 2014, 08:58 AM

CSM? I have an assembly manual OTW from OPG

Last edited by davoaz; June 8th, 2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old June 8th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Just an Olds Guy

CSM is the Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual. It's the official bible of Olds maintenance.
Here's an example of what it looks like. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1972-Oldsm...item54035522b4

I recommend buying an original book instead of repros or electronic versions simply because the quality of the images is much better with OEM. Also the electrical section schematics on some of the repros is b&w instead of color like the original books.
Old June 8th, 2014, 09:42 AM

That one any better than the one I have inbound?

http://www.opgi.com/cutlass/1972/boo...nuals/ST33572/
Old June 8th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Just an Olds Guy

How to say this.....
You have the entirely wrong manual inbound my friend. The Fisher Body Manual very generically goes about all the brands with issues such as trim, glass etc. It doesn't even touch the issue you're asking about. The CSM is the book you want. I doubt you'll ever use the Fisher Manual unless you're tearing out windows. In the meantime, go HERE and register for free, then use this link to go to Page 15-23 of the CSM. The tic toc tach is listed under the Rally Pack (A Body). The scans aren't great but they'll give you something to work with for now. There is also a drill down menu on one page to isolate the problem you may be encountering.
Old June 9th, 2014, 11:04 AM

Thanks. that TT Tach example you linked was a lot more detailed then what I remember from the 71 fisher body manual I got for my Chevelle. Guess I'll be sending it back. Since I have several electrical gremlins I ordered a used CSM from Amazon. Hope it isn't too beat up.
Old June 13th, 2014, 09:36 AM

Went here and downloaded every doc possible for my 72'. http://www.ahpsoc.org/index.html Also bought a used copy that I should get in the next week or so.

These two came in today.

http://www.opgi.com/cutlass/1972/boo...nuals/ST33572/ I plan on RMA on this one.

Also got this http://www.opgi.com/cutlass/1972/boo...nuals/CTASM08/

Do you know if this will enhance the CSM I downloaded? Don't want to open and look so I can RMA it to if its not worth keeping.

Davo
Old June 13th, 2014, 09:47 AM
72 Olds CS

Can't see your second link but if it's the fisher body manual that one has the info you need re your wiper motor issues.

The assy manual I have but don't really use. I sent you a pm most stuff us availible free at wildaboutcars.com
Old June 13th, 2014, 10:48 AM

Its the 1972 Cutlass/442 Assembly Manual,
Old June 13th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Can't see your second link but if it's the fisher body manual that one has the info you need re your wiper motor issues.

The assy manual I have but don't really use. I sent you a pm most stuff us availible free at wildaboutcars.com
The first link he posted was to the WAC site. No need to download it when it's always available through the WAC server. X2 on the wiper motor in FBW. Strange it wouldn't be in the CSM, but oh well....

Originally Posted by davoaz
These two came in today.

http://www.opgi.com/cutlass/1972/boo...nuals/ST33572/ I plan on RMA on this one.

Also got this http://www.opgi.com/cutlass/1972/boo...nuals/CTASM08/

Do you know if this will enhance the CSM I downloaded? Don't want to open and look so I can RMA it to if its not worth keeping.
The Cutlass Assembly Manual is honestly one of the best exploded parts references you'll find for your car. It also has specific information about which features were for f85,Cutlass,verts and 442s. Just have to learn to decipher the codes, but they have that covered at the front in the references. They are copies of original docs used by Olds so you just know they'll be good. Sometimes you can decipher a worded description from the CSM easier by looking at the related AM section and exploded view.

Your first link didn't work. It says 'No category for BOONUALS. WTH??
Old June 14th, 2014, 02:08 PM

Got the tac working but car idles rough now. Plus I think the tac is reporting too high rpm. Did I read some where if it's grounded properly or bad it makes the car run rough?

Last edited by davoaz; June 14th, 2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old February 28th, 2019, 10:38 AM

Davo,

I hope you are well. I have a 68 442 and thinking of retrofitting the emissions evap system to the 70 - 72 model. Do you still have the schematics for the 72? My private email is umberto3@gmail.com. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old February 28th, 2019, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by umbertoc
Davo,

I hope you are well. I have a 68 442 and thinking of retrofitting the emissions evap system to the 70 - 72 model. Do you still have the schematics for the 72? My private email is umberto3@gmail.com. Any help would be greatly appreciated
You do realize this thread is several years old, and Davoaz has not been on CO since 2016