Mystery cruise control part

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2008, 10:52 AM

Mystery cruise control part

I need some help identifying this cruise control part in a kit I am looking to buy:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thelone...05/2736219228/
It is circled in red...

It looks like a vacuum pump from a diesel car - you recon?
I do know the servo is not correct for a '72 A body - It looks more like that off of a Toro.
The regulator looks restorable.

The guy who is selling it is letting me buy only the parts I need, so I just want to confirm I will not need the "mystery part".

Thanks!
Old August 5th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I need some help identifying this cruise control part in a kit I am looking to buy:
It is circled in red...

It looks like a vacuum pump from a diesel car - you recon?
Can't tell from the picture, but diesels used mechanical vac pumps, either ones that went in place of the distributor or ones that were belt driven. There were no electric vac pumps that I'm aware of. I can see that the item in question has some sort of solenoid vacuum valve, similar to the one used on the TCS systems.
Old August 24th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Diesel Driver

It's hard to tell because of the shadows in the picture, but it seems to be the transducer. There should be fittings for two speedo cables, two vacuum lines and a wire connection.
Old August 25th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

It is circled in red...

The guy who is selling it is letting me buy only the parts I need, so I just want to confirm I will not need the "mystery part".

Thanks!
I agree with the others. I used my photo editor to expand the picture. The part you circled looks like the tranducer from a 79 or 80's B Body cruise. I have one of them that I picked up and it looks a lot like the picture, from what I could make out. The older style transducer looks correct for 72 but will need a fair bit of clean up. Check your olds chassis manual, it will also tell you the proper length pushrod you need to the carb. The mounting bracket appears to be the right one for a 455, but the vacuum looks like a later than 72 one.
I know you want a cruise pretty bad. Don't settle for the first one that comes along. You can get new cruise cables pretty cheap. If you want, I'll pm you where I got mine. Make sure what you're buying is worth the time and effort. BTW a NOS cruise switch just sold on evilbay last night for 142.01just for the switch. Dang! outbid by 2 dollars. Persevere in your search.
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:38 AM

Wow, I never expected that to be a transducer from something... You guys sure open up my knowledge base!

Since I did not see it in my service manual, I did not get it. Also the other servo in the picture looks to be for an early 70s Toro, so i did not get that either. The guy let me choose the stuff i wanted so that was cool.
What I did end up with was a VERY good turn signal arm, wire harness, brake switch, and a regulator that needs restoration (but not too bad).
I also received two sets of speed cables that need cleaning. If they do not work, OPG has both of them for cruise.

I also have another regulator coming soon (for parts use), the throttle linkage (which will need modded to 4BBL), and a dash switch that needs restoration. I bought them for a song, but as an engineer, i should be able to get those to work again with some TLC and perhaps some blacksmith work...

All I need now is a correct servo, the speedo cable ends clip, the hose 'Y' connector, and a new regulator decal.
When this gets installed, I will install the inside hood lock, also.
This may be late next year or even after at my rate.

Anyone know where to get the tiny 'O' ring for the brake vacuum release valve? Mine has shrunk just enough to not seal. It measures .2" dia and should be .215" or so. I have not looked anywhere yet; but I will try Ace and Elliot's hardware first. If someone knows a specialty shop, it will be helpful.

Thanks for the part ID work!

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; August 26th, 2008 at 05:41 AM.
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Just an Olds Guy

.....All I need now is a correct servo, ....
Hey Rob,
there is an NOS servo on ebay right now. Looks cherry, and it's not cheap. Looks like it doesn't have the metals clamp to pressure seal the unit though.
Here's the link if you're interested
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...E:B:SS:CA:1123
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Allan,

What metal clamp are you referring to? It looks to be complete based on a photo I have of a stock unit on a stock car. Perhaps his is missing also... Do you have a picture of a complete unit?
I do agree it is pricy, perhaps missing parts, and he does not take checks, so I will be passing on it.
Hopefully I can come across another unit somewhere...
I really need to go yarding some time!
I wonder if the Jag bellows fit this design...
Old August 27th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Registered

Hey guys, I contacted the Jag guy out of curiosity and the Jag/Rover power servo bellows measures the same as the Olds unit and looks the same, but that design is unfortunately only used in '70 and '71 on the Cutlass. They went to the one on evilbay in '72 on the Cutlass along with the big transducer. I may just spend the $17.50 and get an extra one for my ('71) Vista. The unit from the other european parts place on the car now works great. I have never seen a clamp on an Olds unit or in the parts books either. I bet there is a cross application for that servo unit too...somewhere.

Allan
Old August 27th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Allan,

What metal clamp are you referring to? It looks to be complete based on a photo I have of a stock unit on a stock car. Perhaps his is missing also... Do you have a picture of a complete unit?
I do agree it is pricy, perhaps missing parts, and he does not take checks, so I will be passing on it.
Hopefully I can come across another unit somewhere...
I really need to go yarding some time!
I wonder if the Jag bellows fit this design...
Hi Rob,
the "clamp" is maybe the wrong thing to describe it by, sorry bout that.
the servo has basically 4 pieces: the interior spring, rubber bellows, metal face and (the metal fitting that seals the rubber bellows to the metal face). I don't know what else to call it. Retaining ring maybe??
Anyway. I've bought from this guy before. He has beautiful stuff, but like you said he doesn't take checks or paypal. A money order is as good as cash. I've used that with him. I know what you mean about not wanting to pay that high a price.
On the other hand I was willing to pay 140.00 for the cruise on/off dash switch NOS. Someone else was willing to pay more.
I know that in today's prices restoring cars is a real money pit and you have to pick and choose what you're willing to shell out. Just like my car, I'm sure Lady is worth it to you.
I'll still keep my eyes open for more cruise stuff for you.
Old August 27th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by amh555
Hey guys, I contacted the Jag guy out of curiosity and the Jag/Rover power servo bellows measures the same as the Olds unit and looks the same, but that design is unfortunately only used in '70 and '71 on the Cutlass. They went to the one on evilbay in '72 on the Cutlass along with the big transducer. I may just spend the $17.50 and get an extra one for my ('71) Vista. The unit from the other european parts place on the car now works great. I have never seen a clamp on an Olds unit or in the parts books either. I bet there is a cross application for that servo unit too...somewhere.

Allan
Can you post the Jag website so Rob and I can have a look at the part you're describing? Thanks Allan
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Registered

Sure, Pic of mine, the website, and an evilbay auction, nothing like the '72.
Allan

http://www.importpartsspec.com/cart/show/item/264438

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123
Old August 28th, 2008, 06:02 AM

I am starting to see how these work...
The bellows are exposed on the 71 (as in Allan's picture) and perhaps the 72 is also! Never had one in my hands before...

Does someone have a picture of the 72 servo with this ring or clamp thingie? Here is a picture I had taken at a car show - it seems to be like the evil bay one...

100 bucks for a new working servo is not that big a deal as long as it is complete and the seller is good. Nice to hear you have dealt with him before.
I sent him a message that if he would take a check I will get it. (Cash/mo in the mail is way too risky and a big hassle if it gets lost). I won't go there.

Of course I would need the servo bracket, too...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
72 servo_7698.jpg (61.3 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; August 28th, 2008 at 06:08 AM.
Old August 28th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Registered

I don't see a ring or clamp in the pic? maybe I'm not looking in the right place. The raised section in the middle is part of the bellows and has a groove in it the plate fits into if that is it.
I saw NOS cruise levers for chebbies and ponchos that I think would work with this system if it is the same as the other GM divisions then. They are black on the end and no grooves. I'm not sure if they would fit an Olds but the mounting end does look the same. GM part number 6465256 lever-direction signal. Be better than nothing or good for a replacement if correctness doesn't matter. They are pretty pricey though, they still go for around a hundred bucks. GM parts direct has them, a few places are cheaper if you search around.

Allan