1990 Oldsmobile cutless ciera s electrical problems

Old March 17th, 2014, 06:08 AM

1990 Oldsmobile cutless ciera s electrical problems

Hi my name is Mark, I own a 1990 Oldsmobile cutless ciera s with a 3.3 motor. As of a week ago I've been having electrical problems with my car. The problem is that one of the wires is having way too high of a draw causing it to burn its weakest point, which was the weather sealed connecter that comes off the battery. At the moment my head lights, radio signal, interior lights, locks and windows don't work. All the power to my electronics come from this one connecter that splits and goes to a box that is on the fire wall. My car can start and drive and has brake lights. I've been through all the fuses under the glove box and have disconnected the radio, my seats, heater control and head light switch. I honestly don't know where I need to go to next and have burnt out a wire when I played with the box on the fire wall. When it first started I was getting light smoke inside around the steering wheel. Thanks in advanced
Old March 17th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. I guess this is a combination new member thread and repair thread all in one. It would help if you could provide some more information and ideally some photographs of the box you are referring to. I am trying to think of what would cause the wire to overheat but not cause a fuse to blow, hoping that someone else may be able to help out. Good luck.
Old March 17th, 2014, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the welcoming and suggestions. I understand its hard to imagine the peice so I took a few pictures for you folksimage.jpg
Old March 17th, 2014, 02:03 PM

this is the piece that originally burned up in my car image.jpg
Old March 17th, 2014, 03:53 PM

Does that wire go into the steering column?

Do you have a wiring diagram?
Old March 17th, 2014, 09:30 PM

Unfortunately I don't have a wiring diagram. The piece that enitially burned comes off the battery and splits. Now both leads come off and go to the black box in the first picture.one lead controls the rear brake lights and radio when powers on. The other lead which is the side that burned controls the head lights, radio entena, chair,horn which means yes to the steering column, locks, and window. This lead is the one that is constantly on. The black box is the main connecter to the cars electrical system. Every time I split that box apart when I have the burned wire connected it burns whatever temp wire I placed in there.what seams to be occuring is that something in the system is drawing way too much power and causing it to burn the weakest point.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 01:05 PM

Howdy folks I finally figured out what was wrong, apperently a wire behind my light switch rubbed up against a metal edge and caused it to short out. So now all my electronics except my front blinkers are working