Has anyone replaced their distributor core with Cardone parts?

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2014, 11:16 AM

Has anyone replaced their distributor core with Cardone parts?

I have a 1961 Olds Dynamic 88, and the original distributor is still in place (Delco Remy 1110968) and is bad. I ended up on Advance Auto parts and bought what was supposed to be a replacement Cardone distributor, but it is not the same size and shape core. So then I tried finding the Delco, of course it is no longer made. Only OEM is from folks like Fusick up in CT (not currently in stock). Has anyone tried using the Cardone, can it be placed in the same way or is it a totally useless endeavor? I don't want to muck it up, then it wouldn't be returnable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo(7).jpg (85.5 KB, 107 views)
Old March 1st, 2014, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Sorry to say, but I think 1 of those is the wrong part. I've replaced with a Cardone part with no problems but both parts were the same.
Old March 1st, 2014, 12:35 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Ummmm... Yeah.

You can't replace parts with other parts that were made for different engines. They don't fit, you see.

Unless you have the superpower of "Stretch-O" you're not going to be able to get that gear to engage with the camshaft.

That looks like a regular 330/350/400/425/455 distributor, which is to say they gave you the wrong one.
In these cases, I always recommend bringing to part given to you by mistake back to the seller for a refund. I have found that when stores sell you the wrong part, they will generally give you your money back, and try to find the right part.

Incidentally, Cardone shows part #30-1843 for both later Olds applications and for a '61 Dynamic 88, so their listing is obviously mistaken.

What's wrong with the original distributor that requires replacement, rather than cleaning and lubricating, or replacing the bushings?

- Eric
Old March 1st, 2014, 12:38 PM

MD, you beat me to it while I looked at listings on Rock and Cardone.
Old March 1st, 2014, 12:42 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Lighting fingers.

- Eric
Old March 1st, 2014, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Lol, stretch-o-matic was a product sold on tv back in the 70's by Ronco wasn't it. It sold for $9.99.
Old March 1st, 2014, 01:34 PM

Ahhhh- the old saying- ' it fits 330-455'. What is wrong with your distributor that you need a new one?? Is it bent or broken in half?
Old March 3rd, 2014, 07:14 AM

Aye yai yai! I didn't get email notifications to my initial question telling me about all the responses! Well quite honestly it's just the wiring that needs to be fixed, so I could send it out to be "rebuilt". I had initially had a mechanic re-sodder it and it was done improperly. I googled the part number from Delco Remy (1110968) and it isn't available from anyone at this time, but Hagen's Hiway auto does rebuild them. I figure I could have someone local do that, too but I don't know how reliably.

I got it from advance auto, it says on every website with autoparts that the one I got is an "exact fit", which is obviously malarkey.

Last edited by MrCnos; March 3rd, 2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 08:19 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Wait, you're replacing your distributor because of the condition of the ONE wire?!?

Why not replace the wire?

- Eric
Old March 3rd, 2014, 08:29 AM

Weeelllllll, I'm assuming the wire is the primary issue, but the distributor isn't in great shape to begin with, so I guess I want to put a fresh one in and see how well it runs rather than troubleshoot this one over and over. At worst, I will end up with two distributors and at best I will save the time and money working on one that has no hope at all.

But yes, I'm doing just that. I will still likely send this one to get redone so that I have two anyway. I just won an ebay auction for one, only cost 38 bucks so not a huge cost. Just seems to me Cardone shouldn't be advertising this as exact fit when it clearly is not. How could they not already know that? The car has been around 50+ years already, just doesn't make sense.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 11:36 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

For $38, why not?

Still, there isn't much to a distributor , and there's no guarantee that another used one will be any better.

If the gear is intact, the bushings are good, the springs are still springy, and nobody has beaten it to death with a sledgehammer, there really isn't anything else to go wrong.

As for Cardone, I'm not sure why you are imputing some sort of ill will toward them.
They have a database error.
These things happen.
You want to make a Federal case out if it, go sue them for pain and suffering due to their flagrant, irresponsible, and intentional carelessness and misrepresentation. I doubt the case will get far.

- Eric
Old March 3rd, 2014, 11:38 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If the gear and bushings are good put a Pertronix kit in it and forget about it. That is what I would do.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 03:19 PM

I mean, I'm not contacting the BBB or anything, just seemed weird to me that I'm the first one to notice that it doesn't fit, after what I imagine is many years of the item's existence. And yeah, I'm mainly looking to have a second one so that if any parts are missing or faulty I have something to compare to and take parts off. Luckily I didn't have to wait long, but aside from this ebay auction there are no other ones out there far as I can find.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 03:29 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by MrCnos
.., just seemed weird to me that I'm the first one to notice that it doesn't fit, after what I imagine is many years of the item's existence.
... And this should give you a sense of just how many people are looking for one of these.

You may be the first person to look for one since they created the database.

- Eric
Old March 3rd, 2014, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Or it's the same case as headers and the Cutlass S, only in reverse. I would just bring it back.