strange dimming/ticking sound

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2013, 09:15 PM

strange dimming/ticking sound

after opening the car up a little bit, nothing too crazy really at all no peeling out or nothing, just up on the highway I started noticing a strange ticking noise along with dimming in line with the noise at idle. it stops for a bit at times, but then recurs. Theres a new voltage reg, warning light relay, and alternator, and the horn relay seems to be working as it should. voltage at the battery is steady 14.5 and the engine idles good but this keeps coming back.

I believe to have narrowed the sound down to the distributor, I had jus put a new set of points in, gapped em at 30 degrees on the dwell, and it ran great for a month until that night. ill take the cap off and examine the distributor again when its daylight, but what usually causes something like this?
Old August 15th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Administrator

I don't think the noise is in your distributor. If you have a mechanical voltage regulator, you may hear that cycling on and off.
Old August 17th, 2013, 12:47 PM

I actually got the noise to stop and im pretty sure for good. it was in the dristributor oddly, and after hitting the moving parts with just a touch of wd40 and tightening everything it should be good. but while I was under the cap I noticed one end was still shiny while the others where well worn. I followed to to #3 cyl and found the plug to be very muchly fouled, while all the others were fine. I noticed some strange unevenness at idle and wasn't sure if it was a miss, but is this def9inately a miss? I take the wire off the plug while running and it seems to make a difference but Im not sure if its really missing or not. I started a new thread in the engine big blocks forum, but any helpful info is appreciated!