Hoping to get some help please

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Car Whisperer

Hoping to get some help please

as some may have read on here, I bought a 67 Cutlass to redo with my son https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-dr-build.html. I also recently purchased a 1972 Buick Skylark for my daughter who also wanted an older car.

the person I purchased it from was in the midst of installing a new wiper motor when he had a heart attack. he moved away and left his car for sale.

he had partially wired the wiper motor, left one wire off that I think went to the wiper motor and then a two pronged brown wire that I think goes to the washer mechanism which he had not mounted yet.

I assume that the Olds and the Skylark are the same for this, but may be wrong. can anyone look at this and tell me if it is the same as the Olds and if so, is it wired correctly. I wanted to check prior to checking the wiper switch, as if it is wired wrong, the switch won't be telling me much. Thank you for any help anyone can give me.

100_1817_zpsf729756a.jpg

100_1816_zps928e2908.jpg

100_1814_zpsa5d72fc7.jpg
Old July 25th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Car Whisperer

anyone?
Old July 25th, 2013, 03:17 PM

I'm going to say aftermarket Chinese incorrect motor jerry-rigged in place.

How about you get a good working used GM original part, and hook it up correctly? Spend a day cleaning it up and it'll be proper and pretty.

You can access the FACTORY service manuals at wildaboutcars.com, so go sign up there, eh?
Old July 26th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Car Whisperer

Originally Posted by Octania
I'm going to say aftermarket Chinese incorrect motor jerry-rigged in place.

How about you get a good working used GM original part, and hook it up correctly? Spend a day cleaning it up and it'll be proper and pretty.

You can access the FACTORY service manuals at wildaboutcars.com, so go sign up there, eh?
ordered a shop manual CD. no idea where the wiper motor came from since I didn't buy it, the previous owner did. would like to use this one if possible, if correct rather than spending more money at this point. thought someone on here would have a 72 Olds Cutlass which is probably the same deal and could tell me if it was wired correctly.

thanx for the link.
Old July 27th, 2013, 11:36 AM

Well I went and took a couple pictures of my 72 olds but can't quite figure out how to attach them. I am new so I might not be able to yet. We added a external little washer for the windshield when our OEM quit and that was close to 15 yrs ago. I have one of the yellow wires going to the washer plus a blue wire. Otherwise I have a yellow, black w/yellow stripe and light blue w/black stripe going to the wiper motor and again the yellow branching off to the washer pump. Most likely doesn't help much. Good luck.
Old July 27th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Car Whisperer

Originally Posted by bunick
Well I went and took a couple pictures of my 72 olds but can't quite figure out how to attach them. I am new so I might not be able to yet. We added a external little washer for the windshield when our OEM quit and that was close to 15 yrs ago. I have one of the yellow wires going to the washer plus a blue wire. Otherwise I have a yellow, black w/yellow stripe and light blue w/black stripe going to the wiper motor and again the yellow branching off to the washer pump. Most likely doesn't help much. Good luck.
thanks SO MUCH for trying to help!!!!! I will check from what you have said. can you say where each of those is in comparison to my picture? in other words are they in the same place as sounds like I have the same wires as you do.

as far as posting pics...easiest way, for me anyway, is to download to photobucket, then copy the image link and paste it in the post.

Last edited by SnakeBit; July 27th, 2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old July 27th, 2013, 12:27 PM

I sent you a pm with my email. I think the wires look right. I don't have a exposed terminal strip like yours. If you send me your email I'll send you what I have. Hope it will help. Thanks
Old July 27th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Car Whisperer

thanx!! it may be exposed but you cannot see as unless I am wrong, the washer mechanism bolts to the front of the wiper motor which obscures the wires from being seen. pm answered.
Old July 27th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I believe that that's the motor for the non-depressed park wipers.
I'm pretty sure they were available on a rock-bottom F-85 in '72, but I'm not sure about the Skylark.

Like Octania said, it looks like a ChiCom knockoff, at least from what I can see.

Does your car have a 1-speed or a 2-speed wiper switch, and do the wipers come to rest behind the hood lip, where you can't see them, or just above?

The Chassis Service Manual has clear diagrams of how the motor is supposed to be connected, but if that's not the right motor, then all bets are off.

- Eric
Old July 27th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Car Whisperer

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I believe that that's the motor for the non-depressed park wipers.
I'm pretty sure they were available on a rock-bottom F-85 in '72, but I'm not sure about the Skylark.

Like Octania said, it looks like a ChiCom knockoff, at least from what I can see.

Does your car have a 1-speed or a 2-speed wiper switch, and do the wipers come to rest behind the hood lip, where you can't see them, or just above?

The Chassis Service Manual has clear diagrams of how the motor is supposed to be connected, but if that's not the right motor, then all bets are off.

- Eric
I believe it is a two speed and the wipers sit low on the windshield at this point. who knows if they are powered where they will go.

hoping the cd manual I receive will answer the question, Bunick was helpful and sent me some pics that may help from his 72 Cutlass.

now, I am fighting the e-brake. apparently my daughter, in trying to get to know her car without me there, was sitting in it playing with things, set the e-brake, released it and only the right side released. now the car won't move. gotta see what is happening there........

Last edited by SnakeBit; July 27th, 2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old July 27th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by SnakeBit
hoping the cd manual I receive will answer the question...
You can wait, or you can go to WildAboutCars and download it for free.

Originally Posted by SnakeBit
... my daughter... set the e-brake, released it and only the right side released.
Probably a rusty cable on that side.

You may be able to loosen it with penetrating oil, but once it gets that way, it's usually better to just replace it.

- Eric