70 toro coil replacement! Help please!

Search this Thread

Old November 11th, 2012, 06:23 PM

70 toro coil replacement! Help please!

Ok so I was so excited a year ago when I got my 70 toro, and well not being a mechanic I started taking things off before I got my camera out! So carb, ignition coil, and distributor came off prior to me taking any pics for reinstall. So after spending all day trying to figure out where these go I've taking the high road and am now asking for help.

I have a red w/ black stripe and connector, two white wires and the black wire from distributor pics included. I also found a hole in coil where oil was leaking so I bought a new one as well as new capacitor.

I think white wires go to pos on coil... But not sure

Black from distributor .....no clue!

Red/black well I can't find the other end to connect it to .....so again no clue!

Capacitor ummm no clue! Who would have thought!

If anyone has any idea please let me know. Thanks Marc

Oh yeah also where can I connect ground to alternator from?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (69.7 KB, 86 views)
Old November 11th, 2012, 06:24 PM

Other pics
Attached Images
image.jpg (78.6 KB, 87 views)
Old November 11th, 2012, 06:26 PM

Last one! They all seem to upside down sorry!
Attached Images
image.jpg (75.3 KB, 87 views)
Old November 11th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Marc A Levy
... carb, ignition coil, and distributor came off prior to me taking any pics for reinstall. So after spending all day trying to figure out where these go I've taking the high road and am now asking for help.
You know, you could just look in the Chassis Service Manual or the Assembly Manual.

I have no idea what this wire is. Where does it go?

How did you get such a heavy car to hang upside down?
You know, it might be easier to work on the engine if you turn it upside-right.

This is the black wire that goes from the points in the distributor to the negative terminal on the coil.

This is the positive terminal from the ignition switch, which goes to the positive terminal of the coil. It is a resistance wire.

When you say "capacitor," I am not sure which one you mean.
If you could describe it, or post a photo, I could tell you, and be sure I'm giving you the right answer.

The alternator does not get connected to a separate ground (though you are certainly welcome to connect one if you wish). It grounds through the block. The block, though, should be grounded to the body by a ground strap to the firewall.

I won't even ask about the blue tape.

- Eric
Old November 11th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Administrator

The 2 wires in picture 3 go to the positive side of the coil, the single wire from the dist go to the negative side. The condenser goes on the negative side.
Old November 11th, 2012, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
You know, you could just look in the Chassis Service Manual or the Assembly Manual.
Is there an assembly manual out for Toros?
Old November 11th, 2012, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the help! And the jokes it's been a crazy electrical and vacuum day!

As for assembly or chassis, I've looked in both! The diagrams are very bad and hard to read.

So after some more searching I think the red/black wire goes to horn relay. Any confirmation from anyone?

The white I understand goes to pos on ignition coil.
Black from distributor to neg on coil.

But are you sure the condenser goes to the neg on coil? The assembly manual shows it going to the positive side! But like I said it is hard to read the version I have.

This link shows on page 28 says install resistor cable to positive side of coil.

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...aldisplayed=50

Hope this link works!

Also if your looking for manuals join wildaboutcars.com and look under factory publications.
Old November 11th, 2012, 08:42 PM

You don't like my blue wire? (
Old November 12th, 2012, 04:00 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

So after some more searching I think the red/black wire goes to horn relay. Any confirmation from anyone?
If the wire is actually PINK and black, then it is the ignition buzzer wire, which everybody disconnects anyway.

But are you sure the condenser goes to the neg on coil? The assembly manual shows it going to the positive side! But like I said it is hard to read the version I have.
Well, not that depends on which condenser you're talking about.
I am not going to give you any advice based on an ASSumption regarding which one you mean.

The ignition condenser is mounted inside the distributor, and is connected to the negative terminal of the coil (as well as the points).

The ignition radio suppression condenser is mounted to the coil clamp screw, and is connected to the positive terminal of the coil.

Which one do you mean?

Also, I've just gone through the 1970 Engine Assembly Manual, and it does NOT show either one of these condensers. It does show coil mounting on page 24, but the ignition condenser is inside of the distributor, which was supplied as a unit assembly, and so is not shown, and the suppression condenser was added later, based on options (whether a radio had been ordered), and so was not installed at the motor plant.

You don't like my blue wire? (
It's... different...

- Eric
Old November 12th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Eric, Mark, I might have been mistaken on the radio suppression condensor, been a long time since I discarded mine.
Old November 12th, 2012, 05:43 PM

The one that is on the coil is the one I need to attach. So that is strictly for the radio? Is the one in distributor the one that will help prevent arcing?

Marc
Old November 12th, 2012, 06:48 PM

Yes, correct.

For God only knows what reason, the capacitor in the distributor is called a condenser, whereas every other one you ever see is called a capacitor. The factory used a few capacitors on radio-equipped cars- at the coil, at the blower motor, I forget where-else.

Oh, and in the early days like 1970, the condenser was generally NOT part of the points assembly, but mounted on the other side of the points plate. I have been dismantling quite a few old pts type distributors lately, so am freshly familiar with these details.
Old November 12th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The one that is on the coil is the one I need to attach. So that is strictly for the radio? Is the one in distributor the one that will help prevent arcing?
Okay, just to be completely clear:

The condenser attached to the coil bracket, as in the red circle in the photo below, is the radio suppression condenser, and is connected to the (+) coil terminal.

The condenser inside the distributor is the one that reduces arcing of the ignition points, and is connected to the (-) coil terminal (along with the points) through the black wire with the square terminal clip on the end.

Each is attached to a different terminal and serves a different purpose.

- Eric
Attached Images
DSCN0593a.jpg (68.0 KB, 57 views)
Distributor Condenser.jpg (100.7 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by MDchanic; November 12th, 2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old November 12th, 2012, 07:33 PM

Great clarification. With photos.

Don't forget though:

"the capacitor in the distributor is called a condenser, whereas every other one you ever see is called a capacitor."

Therefore the one on the coil is a "capacitor."
Old November 12th, 2012, 07:50 PM

I have to stick my two cents in, if that blue stuff is electrical tape (with adhesive, versus wrap, which doesn't have adhesive) you're going to have a bit of a mess under there once you run the motor... Electrical tape is great for wrapping the light switch in your house, but there are far better things to use on a car. Just my opinion.
Old November 12th, 2012, 08:02 PM

Condenser is just an older term for capacitor. They both were built in a similar manner and do the same functions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor
Some of the older applications manage to keep associated with the old term, such as points & condenser, condenser microphone, tuning condenser, etc.
In these on-the-coil applications, they are absorbing the residual voltage spikes that occure then the voltage in the coil collapses.
On the coil + side they are keeping the +12V side clean so the spikes will not get induced into the radio, which would show up as pops or static. They are also found on fan motors, horn relay, voltage regulators, and other electromagnetic devices. On the coil - side, the cap absorbs the spike that would otherwise arc across the points, pitting them in short time.

The blue tape is best replaced with the non-sticky 2" wide electrical tape which is made for wrapping wires - this is still available and is what the factory used.
Old November 12th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Octania
"the capacitor in the distributor is called a condenser, whereas every other one you ever see is called a capacitor."

Therefore the one on the coil is a "capacitor."
Says who?

I mean, I agree that "condenser" is just an old-time radio-guy word for "capacitor," which is essentially no longer used, but in the almost fifty years that I've been in some way involved with cars (since childhood), I have always heard the word "condenser" used to refer to any metal can-type capacitor used outside of the car's radio chassis, and not just to the one inside the distributor.

Perhaps this is a regional difference.

- Eric
Old November 13th, 2012, 03:18 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I would use Rescue Tape. I bought some of this stuff at a car show and it is great. It actually bonds to itself. I have never seen anything like it. It also comes in colors and clear. Here is the link:

http://www.rescuetape.com/

Originally Posted by Intragration
I have to stick my two cents in, if that blue stuff is electrical tape (with adhesive, versus wrap, which doesn't have adhesive) you're going to have a bit of a mess under there once you run the motor... Electrical tape is great for wrapping the light switch in your house, but there are far better things to use on a car. Just my opinion.
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Condensor is just another name for capacitor. Thanks for the clarification on the one at the coil. I, for the life of me could not remember where it went, and none of the schematics show it.
Old November 13th, 2012, 08:57 PM

So a capacitor is a condensor....what is a resistor then? All these words seem synonymous with each other!

As for blue "tape" it is wrap, but I don't think I'm keeping it I was trying to clean things up and keep with the blue theme I had going but I just think original black wrap is the way to go!
Old November 13th, 2012, 09:09 PM

So a capacitor is a condensor....
You got it! Same name for temporary voltage storage devices.

what is a resistor then?
Way different than a capacitor. A resistor is a device that resists current flow. The higher the resistance, the less current can flow through them. Kinda like stepping on a garden hose when the water is running - your foot would be the resistor.