Ignition Switch Positions

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2012, 07:39 AM

Ignition Switch Positions

In my 70 Cutlass, is the key supposed to move one click back to run just the radio? (mine doesn't whatsoever) Could it be broken?

I notice in the wiring diagram there are three different power feeds from the switch for when it is turned on:

IGN, ACC1, ACC2

With a little probing I found these only come on when the key is turned two clicks. Also, IGN stays on during cranking (of course) whereas ACC1 and ACC2 cut out during cranking. What's the difference between ACC1 and ACC2? Maybe one is supposed to come on with one click back on the key that I don't seem to have?

The radio is on ACC1 along with the wipers, accessory power (for power windows which I don't have), and a resistance wire for the alternator voltage regulator. The heater motor alone is on ACC2.

Anyways thanks!
Old September 3rd, 2012, 09:48 AM

Post Check the owner manual

Originally Posted by smcurro
In my 70 Cutlass, is the key supposed to move one click back to run just the radio? (mine doesn't whatsoever) Could it be broken?

I notice in the wiring diagram there are three different power feeds from the switch for when it is turned on:

IGN, ACC1, ACC2

With a little probing I found these only come on when the key is turned two clicks. Also, IGN stays on during cranking (of course) whereas ACC1 and ACC2 cut out during cranking. What's the difference between ACC1 and ACC2? Maybe one is supposed to come on with one click back on the key that I don't seem to have?

The radio is on ACC1 along with the wipers, accessory power (for power windows which I don't have), and a resistance wire for the alternator voltage regulator. The heater motor alone is on ACC2.

Anyways thanks!
Your assignments to ACC1 & ACC2 seem to be correct. I cannot find additional information in the 1970 service manual. The association between key position and switch position usually can be found in the operating instructions section of the owner manual, which I don't have for the 1970 cars.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by smcurro
In my 70 Cutlass, is the key supposed to move one click back to run just the radio? (mine doesn't whatsoever) Could it be broken?...

Anything that moves can be broken.

On your 70 there is one position back (CCW) from the lock position that is for ACC, like the radio. From the lock position the first click forward (CW) is still off, it just unlocks the column. The second click is on and the third is start.

I don't remember seeing this specific problem before. What exactly is it not doing? Is it not moving back at all or is it moving back and not switching the ACC on? Either way I'd probably first check the ignition switch adjustment where it mounts on the column under the dash.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 12:30 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

On every American car from the early '60s through the '80s (at least) the pattern on the ignition switch is the same.
There is no mystery here:

ACC —— LOCK —— UNLOCK —— ON —— START

• The key only goes in and out in LOCK.
UNLOCK lets you move the steering wheel and the gear selector, but nothing's on.
ON is on.
START engages the starter motor and turns OFF most accessory items (to reduce the load).
ACC turns on the accessories only, and leaves power to the coil and the heater blower off.

In order to get the switch to roll back into the ACC position, you've got to press the cylinder in toward the column a bit, not just turn the key straight back toward you.

- Eric
Old September 3rd, 2012, 05:01 PM

It won't turn back at all - I also tried pushing in and turning. I played with it for a while but I couldn't get it to do anything. I guess I'll check the adjustment when I get a chance. I'm glad I was able to confirm it's an actual problem. Thanks!

Last edited by smcurro; September 3rd, 2012 at 05:06 PM.