Slow current drain running down battery...

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2008, 02:33 PM
1977 Cutlass Supreme

Slow current drain running down battery...

I have an '85 Custom Cruiser. It has a brand new battery, but when left unstarted for a few days the battery will go dead. I have checked and made sure the dome lights aren't staying on, etc. Years ago I remember hearing about a troubleshooting method involving a test light and pulling one fuse at a time to find which circuit the problem is in. Anybody familiar with this method, and if, so, what's the correct procedure? Thanks for any help with this.
Old January 11th, 2008, 08:29 PM

Wink Battery drain

Yes.I do this all the time except I use a old seat belt buzzer instead of light .Use a regular test light not the Snap On version with fuse looking bulb. Takes too many Amps. Disconnect neg cable & connect light between cable & Battery post.With key off & door closed light should not light, If it does start by removing courtesy light fuse first & re check light, then try each fuse one at a time.If you still show drain disconnect plug at alternator. then battery+ at alt.You have just about covered all the system except a bad cell in the battery.Thats a different test Good luck & keep us informed. The reason I use a buzzer is because it easier to hear than crawling out from under the dash each time to see if the light went off. Larry