Subwoofer wiring.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 06:29 AM

Subwoofer wiring.

I have a custom auto sound radio in my dash with the Oldsmobile logo on it. I would like to add a subwoofer and sub amp. The radio has the normal speaker connections which I am using for the fronts and rears. It also has rca low level outputs for an amp, and the power antenna wire. However, it does NOT have a subwoofer out. I don't need any more volume on the highs and mids so I just want to add a sub and leave the speakers hooked to the head unit. How would I wire this?? Nothing big, just 1 or 2 10's. Obviously I am new to amps. Thanks
Old April 22nd, 2012, 07:22 AM
Shaking out the cobwebs..

That's easy. You can use those RCA low level outputs.
Head to Crutchfield.com, look for an amplifier that has a low pass filter of 80 to 100. This is what will 'filter' out the high range frequencies (100 Hz and above).
You don't want anything above 120 Hz to go to the subs. Make sure the SN ratio (signal to noise) is above 100. This will give you a cleaner sound, you DON'T want distortion going to the subs.

Another feature to keep an eye for is a remote amp control. This will allow you to turn the bass volume up or down from your seat, for times when you don't want so much boom. Many amps come with this, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

There are a lot of amps that will work for you. Crutchfield has a great tutorial on subs amps, etc. Be sure to read about 'parallel and series' wiring, you can get more power from an amp with parallel wiring, but you need to watch your ohm load on the amp, too low and you will fry it.
When you start looking for an amp, check the reviews, they're very valuable.

Last edited by midrange; April 22nd, 2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 07:49 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I think Midrange has a good idea there -

Crutchfield is so user-friendly it can get annoying, but, hey, that's a good thing, right?

They've also got refunds, guarantees, and telephone help up the wazoo, so they really are a good choice if you don't know much about car stereo.

Just remember, their customer base includes all those bozos with giant wheels and bigger speakers, so be sure to let them know that you're an "old guy" and looking to get good sound, rather than to get high school chicks.

- Eric
Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:23 AM

One option you have, if not requiring the huge booms, is to amplify some really nice 6x9s in your rear deck and put some bass blocking caps on the fronts if they will still be driven by the radio's little amp. 6x9s can put out some really good sound (and lots of bass) when run with an amp. The little amps in the radio are low current ICs, which would be barely rated for 5 real watts. I did this with my '86 and it sounds nice. Just depends at what your goal is.
Not using subs will also keep your trunk clean.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:34 AM

Thanks! Yes I'm an old guy but I still like my classic rock. I have a nice set of 6x9 kenwoods in the rear deck now running off the head unit. Decent bass when the car is not running but when you start her and run down the road, the car drowns out all bass. Pypes 18" race pro's. Not that loud. Also, dynomat extreme knock off on the entire interior. Yes, I just want a nice clean bass. No boom.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 06:03 PM

Although Custom autosound claims their radios put out "200 watts", it is more like 10 - total!
A 50WRMSx2 amp on those Kenwoods would be the ticket, in my opinion. 30x2 minimum.
Classic rock has a high demand on the midrange for those awesome guitar jams, so I think you need more there, too.
So run the RCAs from the amp to the radio and the amp to the rear speakers. I think you will be happy with it.
Lady has a 50x4 driving 6 speakers (no sub) and she is a rolling rock concert, even ay 70mph with the top down!
Old April 23rd, 2012, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Although Custom autosound claims their radios put out "200 watts", it is more like 10 - total!
A 50WRMSx2 amp on those Kenwoods would be the ticket, in my opinion. 30x2 minimum.
Classic rock has a high demand on the midrange for those awesome guitar jams, so I think you need more there, too.
So run the RCAs from the amp to the radio and the amp to the rear speakers. I think you will be happy with it.
Lady has a 50x4 driving 6 speakers (no sub) and she is a rolling rock concert, even ay 70mph with the top down!
Thanks Rob. The Kenwoods are the 6972-IE 450 watts peak and 80 watts rms 4 way. I actually am thinking of running 4 of these now. The 2 that are in the rear deck now, and figuring out a place for the other 2 with a 4 channel amp. What would you recomend for the amp with this set up? Yes I know about the wattage claims of the head unit and in reality. Thanks!