What is this??

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2012, 07:22 PM

What is this??

This might seem like the ultimate dumb question but can anyone tell me if this is factory wiring?

I just cant see the factory sticking this ugly plug into the fuse panel but thats what I have...plus it has an inline fuse a few inches away from the connection. The wire seems to go up into the (factory?) taped wiring - part of which goes to the brake switch.

Anyone help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Fuse panel.jpg (67.2 KB, 76 views)
Old April 8th, 2012, 07:23 PM

looks factory, it would be for an optional accessory so it plugs in rather than being a part of the stock harness.
Old April 8th, 2012, 07:27 PM

Great thanks!

So could it be for my cruise possibly?

Just looked funky so I didnt think it was so factory...
Old April 8th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Hot 442
Great thanks! So could it be for my cruise possibly? Just looked funky so I didnt think it was so factory...
Yes, if you have factory cruise, that's where the power feed should be. Refer to page 7 of 41 on the following link. http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...al_Sect_12.pdf

If the page is oriented wrong, press and hold Shift,Ctrl and + ; this will re orient to landscape mode.

I looked at your profile so I'm assuming this is for your 72 442. Does it have factory cruise? FYI, some highly optioned cars would have an orange jumper coming from there to an accessory junction block to feed all the options.
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:03 PM

My stock '71 has a similar wire but doesn't have Cruise. I do have power windows though and an 8-track. (???)
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yup, Mike if you check out that link you will see that there are a lot of accessories that can be fed from there. The tape deck isn't listed, but I think they only put the major power draws on there such as Power windows. The 8 track should get it's power off the radio feed IIRC - there should be a radio/8track connecting harness. Randy W70442 would know that for sure - he restores 8 tracks.
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:17 PM

Thanks! That Serv manual sure comes in handy....could be organized better though!!!

Yes it is for my 442 and yes it is an optioned car. It came with A/C, cruise, 8 track player and even a 'fasten seat belt' light on the top of the dash.

I plan for it to be 'Sting Red' (a Pontiac G8 colour) with the black rally stripes.

I'm trying to run a 12v feed to my coil, since MSD recommends I dont use the factory resistor wire. Just gotta run the wire and 20A fuse now!
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:32 PM

Hye guys not to thread jack here but my car has no fuse in the top left hand corner.....any idea what size fuse should be in there and what it controls????
It is the same as the pic in the first post!!

Last edited by scooter123; April 8th, 2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thanks! That Serv manual sure comes in handy....could be organized better though!!!

Yes it is for my 442 and yes it is an optioned car. It came with A/C, cruise, 8 track player and even a 'fasten seat belt' light on the top of the dash.

I plan for it to be 'Sting Red' (a Pontiac G8 colour) with the black rally stripes.

I'm trying to run a 12v feed to my coil, since MSD recommends I dont use the factory resistor wire. Just gotta run the wire and 20A fuse now!
That's actually from the Assembly Manual. Lots of people have trouble trying to find stuff because they don't know it's actually divided into sections. If you have an AM, check the first or second page. There will be a 'Group' index that shows what each section deals with. I love the electronic version because I can zoom it pretty much as large as my eyes need and the detail stays sharp.

The reason MSD says NOT to use the resistor wire is that is used for regulating fan speed to the blower motor. If you run the fan on high you'll get 12 volts. But if you run it at low you'll only get around 4-6 volts.

Be sure to keep us updated on your project. BTW I have to drill those holes in the dash pad to complete my rallye pac. Got the measurements, just have to take out the dash.....you know what that means......Might as Well do the whole shebang at once. I hate not being able to drive my car while it's in project teardown.
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by scooter123
Hye guys not to thread jack here but my car has no fuse in the top left hand corner.....any idea what size fuse should be in there and what it controls????
It is the same as the pic in the first post!!
Feeds the relay to the power seats and power windows.
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:42 PM

The top left for me is "ACC PWR RELAY" written at opposing ends of the fuse of course. Mine doesnt label what size either - although it labels the rest...

Ill check mine tomorrow for you and let you know whats in there - assuming the prev owner put the correct fuse back in it will be right. If I had to guess...I'd go by the Serv Manual which lists it as a 40 A as per the diagram....never guess when it comes to fuses!!
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:52 PM

Allan - you have the same desease I have!

I planned on a simple engine rebuild to freshen it up. That developed into all kinds of engine work, a cam, new MSD distrib, headers, rebuilt trans and new stall converter!

Then I pulled the seats and carpet out....oh and while doing the engine install I read your rally pac thread...and you know what happened from there!!! Its super cool tho - Ive been showing off my newly restored guages to all my friends that come by.

I will definitely keep all updated.

What do you recommend I do with the resistor wire at the coil? Hook up the new 12v feed and just leave the resistor wire there also...or remove it and tape it up??

Thx again for your help.
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The top left for me is "ACC PWR RELAY" written at opposing ends of the fuse of course. Mine doesnt label what size either - although it labels the rest...Manual which lists it as a 40 A as per the diagram....
Ding ding ding..winner every time!! Yes it's 40 amp. The power windows/seats/rear defogger on glass/AC all use relays - 98% sure this is where the power feed for those relays comes from. Do NOT just stick foil on a fuse and plop it in there. That can get really nasty.
Roger: When I looked at your car pics, I was under the impression you have manual windows and seats and no AC. Yes/no? If you don't have those options, you won't need to power a relay and that fuse holder should be empty.
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:55 PM

Mine has no power windows or seats....should it be empty I wonder....could this have something to do with my cruise control not working???
Will have to explore this tomorrow evening!!!
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:57 PM

Thanks allan.....I tried lookin at the wiring diagram for my car but cant pic it out...too fuzzy....I there a better one online???
Old April 8th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mine has no power windows or seats....should it be empty I wonder....could this have something to do with my cruise control not working???
That top left fuse is only for accesory relay. From the sounds of it, yours should be empty. Will that fuse affect your cruise? Nope. There are separate option feeds on the fuse block for numerous accessories. If the car was 'highly optioned' (like I plan for mine) it would have a power feed coming from the top right to the accessory junction block which would in turn feed all the take offs. Your cruise feed could be plugged into any of the accy feeds just like the one in the picture posted by hot442.

....I tried lookin at the wiring diagram for my car but cant pic it out...too fuzzy....I there a better one online???
You want the pic of the fuse block or the wiring.
Here's the troubleshooting for cruise control (2 parts)
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...ection_15A.pdf
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...ection_15B.pdf

And here's the fuse block for your car: see page 13 of 14 (figure 12-20 at bottom of page)
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...ection_12A.pdf

The wiring schematic for 71 is really not clear. The one for 72 is virtually identical but not in color. You can expand the image with much better clarity. http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...ection_12A.pdf