Neutral Safety Switch puzzle

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2012, 03:46 PM

Question Neutral Safety Switch puzzle

Working on my cousin's '70 Cutlass Supreme (350 - 2BBL, TH350, buckets with console shifter) when it started in Reverse while I was standing outside of the driver's window turning the key. Since the backup lights also didn't work, I decided to replace the NSS. Problem is, the NSS wasn't found on the bottom of the column where I expected to find it. I found the 2 heavy Purple Starter wires and the 2 green backup wires, but they were not spliced together, everything looked original and all connectors used looked like the factory style. I found the spot on the column where the NSS would typically be located and the replacement part wants to fit there, but the screw holes to mount it were not drilled. There are 2 square holes punched into the column but they don't quite seem to be in the right location for a plastic insert for the mounting screws (and I don't remember GM doing this on any of the old A Bodies I have messed with). As far as I know, this car was not a Manual 4 spd car and the column looks like its the original ugly green like the body color. I did trace the 2 green and 2 heavy purple wires from the starter switch through their connectors and they run behind the HVAC unit where I can't trace them anymore. Is there a possibility this car has the NSS in the console? At this point I am puzzled...just puzzled. I can provide images if requested. Any thoughts on this?
Old April 6th, 2012, 03:57 PM

Yes, it is under the console and attached to the back of the shifter. Here's a couple pictures of a 1969. I believe the 1970 is in the same location. John

P1010783.jpg

P1010774.jpg
Old April 6th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by jtchrist
Is there a possibility this car has the NSS in the console?
A very distinct possibility.

- Eric

edit: Darn, John, you beat me to it.

And with a better picture, too !
Attached Images
Old April 6th, 2012, 04:19 PM

Yes, I do see it in there. However, the console seems to have about 42 years of dust and dirt holding it in place. Eventually, I will get in there. Thanks for the reply.
Old April 6th, 2012, 04:20 PM

Where to source this part? Part number?
Old April 6th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The part number is in the name of the image file I posted: 1993381.

- Eric
Old April 6th, 2012, 07:56 PM

Eric, thanks for the number.
I was able to take this one apart, clean out the old grease (which was the issue with conductivity) and apply a thin coat of dielectric grease.
Now, I am trying to replace that black shield that slides back and forth with the shifter and blocks the light. It's totally missing but luckily I remember what it should look like from a GTO I had back in college. I don't imagine this Olds should be much different.