Stereo System Install 72 CS

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2012, 08:58 PM
NOVICE car nut

Stereo System Install 72 CS

The weather is not cooperating for me to work on the body outside , so I'll install a stereo system instead . The original AM radio with the one speaker does not work anymore , so below is a picture of what I'm putting in. I had this stuff laying around for over a decade , except for the 500W red amp ... a previous tenant here just gave it to me before they moved . I'm gonna start with the 220W Carver amp , because I know that worked the last time I used it . I had to stare at all this stuff and refer to the manual before it all came back to me ...

I had to remove the stereo's wire plug I wired on there years ago that custom fit a 92 Cavalier I dont own anymore , and cut all the wire ends and crimped new connectors on them ...

The last one shows the amp mounted ( sorta ) , I don't want to drill any holes so I'll have to come up with something better then the big flashlight wedged up against it to secure it ....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
3761.jpg (98.4 KB, 215 views)
97422.jpg (119.3 KB, 211 views)
42804.jpg (108.5 KB, 178 views)
45110.jpg (112.3 KB, 209 views)
Old April 1st, 2012, 09:17 PM
NOVICE car nut

It Works !!!!

I always like to get it right on the first try , here's a pic of the stereo lighting up with that lovely static sound coming from the speaker box . I don't have an antenna hooked up yet , It must be way up in the dash somewhere ... I'm gonna need an antenna extension or something in order to reach , but these cars have the crappy in the windshield antenna's . I put a CD in and it sounds good ! The last picture is the speaker box in a location that I don't like , but I'm gonna have to deal with it for now , and lock the doors . I will also have to figure out how to mount the stereo under the dash without drilling any holes anywhere , so I can swing it down and out or something ....

Attached Images
54044.jpg (117.9 KB, 174 views)
69709.jpg (106.9 KB, 181 views)
Old April 2nd, 2012, 10:31 PM
NOVICE car nut

any ideas , homemade or whatever are welcome in mounting the stereo under the dash ? There really doesn't seem to be anywhere I could use an existing bolt under there , so I could have it swing down . The heater may be a problem in the cold months , because it's right behind it , but then again I really don't plan on driving it then. The box will fit in the trunk , but the spare wont then ... not to mention there is a small leak I need to tend to first . I was gonna maybe chop the box so it would fit on that shelf in the trunk and have the back seat fold down somehow . This would be a good time to put the MAW helmet on , because next thing you know I will be adding more speakers . The reason for that is those boxes are awesome for sound quality , but not so much on a surround level . It seems they are best when complimented with 2 - 6 speakers inside the seating area , and the box in the trunk .... usually I just use the power from the CD player/stereo to power the seating area speakers , and the amp for the box .
Old April 3rd, 2012, 11:32 AM
NOVICE car nut

Actually I'm gonna start by getting those 68 Toro seats out of there , and put the ones that belong in there back in . I'll have to put a blanket over them , because they are all ripped up . I will then be interested in selling the Toro seats . There is one upper seat cover on the front bench seat that is in great shape ! no rips . The upper part of the back seat also has no rips , but some mice removed some of the stuffing in the back when it was in the Toro. The bottom portion of the back seat would of been good , but I destroyed the framework underneath in making it fit this car . ( don't ask ) I bring this up now , because I got to get rid of these seats after I swap them back .
Old April 3rd, 2012, 03:12 PM

This reminds me when I filled my back seat and trunk with speakers...
A good set of 6x9's in the rear deck will give some very good sound and give all your space back, too. Now if you really want the sonic booms, then the keep the box!
As for being too close to the heater, just form some sheet metal to deflect the heat. If those radios work in TX when a car interior can reach 150*, it will be fine.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 03:45 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
This reminds me when I filled my back seat and trunk with speakers...
A good set of 6x9's in the rear deck will give some very good sound and give all your space back, too. Now if you really want the sonic booms, then the keep the box!
As for being too close to the heater, just form some sheet metal to deflect the heat. If those radios work in TX when a car interior can reach 150*, it will be fine.
ever since I installed the stereo I don't noticed the engine knock anymore . The box needs to go into the trunk for sure for security purposes , and I'm gonna write the year on the front of the stereo base in white marker to hopefully deter any theif . I'm hoping no one would want to risk it for a 15yr old stereo !
Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:56 PM

I'm going to do a stereo in mine as well, but with the 6x9s and maybe one enclosure with a single sub in the trunk.....maybe.

I'd like to surface mount some tweeters on the corners of the dash and some mids in the kick panels....the kick panels are the problem though.

Don't wanna wreck the originals...so does anyone make something for that area of our cars? That would be a good semi stealth location for speakers.

These cars are too easy to break into so no point in teasing the thieves.

What about mounting it in the console? Like inside the console storage??? True stealth.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 07:09 PM

Aftermarket kick panels for 4" or 5" speakers are currently available for our cars and can be had at several parts suppliers.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 07:21 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by Hot 442
I'm going to do a stereo in mine as well, but with the 6x9s and maybe one enclosure with a single sub in the trunk.....maybe.

I'd like to surface mount some tweeters on the corners of the dash and some mids in the kick panels....the kick panels are the problem though.

Don't wanna wreck the originals...so does anyone make something for that area of our cars? That would be a good semi stealth location for speakers.

These cars are too easy to break into so no point in teasing the thieves.

What about mounting it in the console? Like inside the console storage??? True stealth.
I thought about the console if I had one , I may just swing it down from underneath . I don't want to hack the dash and the glove box is to far away . The stereo has 120W that I could run through 4 speakers in the car , and then use the amp for the box in the trunk.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 07:31 PM

AFTER I drilled holes in my trunk just about where you have your amp, I saw one suspended from the rear speaker shelf. Looked much better and 4 little holes there don't seem so bad.

As far as stereo location, I've seen them placed in the glove box area before, but like you said, probably too far...unless you have a remote. I've also seen them under the seats with a remote . I have an under dash type of housing for mine now.

As was mentioned, there are a lot of kick panels out there now that are molded for 6" speakers. Some come with speakers and some don't. I bought a set for mine but have't installed them yet.

Last edited by 79MKII; April 3rd, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old April 4th, 2012, 10:23 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by 79MKII
AFTER I drilled holes in my trunk just about where you have your amp, I saw one suspended from the rear speaker shelf. Looked much better and 4 little holes there don't seem so bad.

As far as stereo location, I've seen them placed in the glove box area before, but like you said, probably too far...unless you have a remote. I've also seen them under the seats with a remote . I have an under dash type of housing for mine now.

As was mentioned, there are a lot of kick panels out there now that are molded for 6" speakers. Some come with speakers and some don't. I bought a set for mine but have't installed them yet.
I may eventually get those kick panels down the road , if I can afford that and some speakers , and as far as the remote thing goes ... This stereo is from 94 , the Carver amp is even older , but the stereo sounds great ! I'm not sure they had remotes back then , so the glove box or under the seat is out .
Old April 4th, 2012, 10:33 AM

I have the aftermarket kick panels with Pioneer speakers and 2 Kicker 10" subs in a box in the trunk and it sounds awesome. I mounted my JVC under the dash with a "kit" that has a black molded "box" to make it look reasonably "stock". I did this ( you only need to drill 2 holes) as I wanted my original am radio intact. By the way, my factory dash speaker and single in the back seat speaker and the radio, all work like new
Old April 4th, 2012, 04:38 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by boese1978
I have the aftermarket kick panels with Pioneer speakers and 2 Kicker 10" subs in a box in the trunk and it sounds awesome. I mounted my JVC under the dash with a "kit" that has a black molded "box" to make it look reasonably "stock". I did this ( you only need to drill 2 holes) as I wanted my original am radio intact. By the way, my factory dash speaker and single in the back seat speaker and the radio, all work like new
Cool , I'm thinking the back one wont work on my car , you can see where the water line was years ago when the speaker was full of water from a leaky back window that got half arsed repaired since then .
Old April 4th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Administrator

You can just mount it under the dash with 2 angle brackets, You can mount 6" speakers in your door panels, with 6x9's on the rear deck. Put the amp/s under the the front seat. Believe me with the power of the amp it will power them up and sound really good. Since my musical appreciation stopped in the mid 70's, I really don't have a use for sub's.
Old April 4th, 2012, 05:37 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
You can just mount it under the dash with 2 angle brackets, You can mount 6" speakers in your door panels, with 6x9's on the rear deck. Put the amp/s under the the front seat. Believe me with the power of the amp it will power them up and sound really good. Since my musical appreciation stopped in the mid 70's, I really don't have a use for sub's.
Yea , I don't listen to music half as much as I use to , but since I had this stuff just laying around I figured why not .