3-prong power window relay-window problem

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2011, 10:40 PM

3-prong power window relay-window problem

Hello,
Trying to get the power windows to work. Pink wire wasn't hooked up to front of fuse block, as I understand it needs to be from the manual. Power was going to, but not from, the relay (picture attached).
Can't find a replacement relay and was suggested that a 3-prong horn relay would work. It didn't come with details on what prong does what.

I believe the original relay was grounded where it bolted to the chasis.

Guessed on hooking up the new relay. One particular combination sparked like a sonofagun when I turned the key on and touched it to the chasis. Tinkering ceased immediately.

Anyone know if a 3-prong relay needs to be screwed to chasis to be grounded?

Is it possible to use a general 3-prong relay, as long as it's hooked up correctly?

Anyone also needed this relay and know where to get one?

Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
powerwindowrelay.jpg (49.9 KB, 47 views)
Old August 18th, 2011, 05:18 AM

All of those metal-cased relays need to be bolted to the chassis, as the coil side needs ground. The horn relay should not be used due to its size and exposed hot stud. You did not mount the horn relay with that big hot stud, did you? I hope not - bad things happen then...

A common A/C fan relay would work best. Pink would connect to the lone terminal on one side, unswitched 12V to the outer terminal in the cluster of 3, and the window side would be in the center of the cluster of 3. The inner terminal would not be used.

BTW, what year and model??
Old August 18th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

This has been conclusively discussed here.

- Eric
Old August 18th, 2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
All of those metal-cased relays need to be bolted to the chassis, as the coil side needs ground. The horn relay should not be used due to its size and exposed hot stud. You did not mount the horn relay with that big hot stud, did you? I hope not - bad things happen then...

A common A/C fan relay would work best. Pink would connect to the lone terminal on one side, unswitched 12V to the outer terminal in the cluster of 3, and the window side would be in the center of the cluster of 3. The inner terminal would not be used.

BTW, what year and model??
Hello,
It's a 69 delta 88. Attached is a photo of the new relay. I will look for a A/C fan relay and hook it up to your description.

I appreciate your information.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
newrelay.jpg (44.1 KB, 28 views)
Old August 18th, 2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
This has been conclusively discussed here.

- Eric
Hello Eric,
I had read that thread and 4 or 5 prong relays were discussed, along with the 3 prong relay at the corvette site. I understood the person in that thread was using 4 wires, so I didn't think it was a similar situation to mine.
I was curious what people had to say about finding and using a generic, metal 3 prong relay.

I think I've been pointed in the right direction.

Thanks for your help.
Old August 18th, 2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by jugdish
Hello,
It's a 69 delta 88. Attached is a photo of the new relay. I will look for a A/C fan relay and hook it up to your description.

I appreciate your information.
If this is a horn relay then it might work. I was thinking about the early 70's ones that had the hot junction bolt sticking out the side.

The AC fan relay will have 4 terminals but only 3 will be used in an application like yours.